Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2013-06-20, 18:06

Orchestrated - LF Critique on upcoming (unannounced) videogame title track - war torn

EDIT: 6/26 I have updated the song for reviewing purposes. Thank you for listening

Loading SoundCloud…

Hi guys, this is my first time on the forums, just wanted to say I appreciate the community and look forward to your feedback. This is a track I made using primarily the orchestrated instruments. Considering this is my first time making anything orchestrated, I want the most realistic and full sound I can achieve. I was hoping that some of you might be able to send some pointers my way.

Cheers

Last edited by twilitenoa; 2013-06-26 at 22:00. Reason: updated soundcloud
Old 2013-06-20, 20:08

I like it, both the woodwind and brass melodies were good.

The thing that seemed least "Orchestra" to me were the drums. It sounded more like a drum kit, not the separate standing bass, timpani, mallet roll cymbals, snare, I expect from an orchestra. Also probably you'd expect more voices from an orchestra on most all the non-percussion sounds.

That said, I really dig the track. I'm just trying to help since you wanted some critique on the "orchestra" aspect.
Old 2013-06-20, 21:13

Josiah - Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Its actually a remake of an old japanese game theme re-imagined. I'm trying to keep the japanese feel, but it seems like I may have to switch some instruments around (aka turn the brass into woodwinds) The original had a drum kit like sound in the background, so I'm keeping that to some extent. Btw, by 'more voices' do you mean more instruments, or more volume over the percussion? Thank you again for the constructive criticism
Old 2013-06-20, 21:41

I mean more instruments playing the same part, but with slightly different tuning and timing.

If you have Polar, you could do it easily, but it's not necessarily hard to do manually.
Old 2013-06-21, 02:29

I agree, I think that it could use a bigger emphasis on the melody. I need to reinforce that, I have an updated version of the song edited- will post more updates either later today or early tomorrow. Thanks again man
Old 2013-06-21, 03:50

That cymbal swoosh thing needs to be pushed back with some reverb and lower volume. Otherwise, cool tune. Just needs more ambiance.

https://soundcloud.com/last-alternative
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com/
Old 2013-06-21, 19:11

I took your advice and pushed the ambient feel. Added reverb to a few more instruments and I must say the fidelity has increased. Thanks much torusflow