Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-07-23, 20:52

Headphoenes for mixing max 150 euro?

Any suggestions on headphones that are good for mixing and with which you might even have fun listening to regular music?
Old 2013-07-23, 23:15

I got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50, i think they sounds nice and are in your price range.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/he...f909675b1be4d/

http://www.thomann.de/gb/audio_technica_athm50.htm

Last edited by Tobb; 2013-07-23 at 23:18.
Old 2013-07-23, 23:31

ATH M50 or KRK 8400.

I have the krk's and love them
Old 2013-07-24, 01:09

ATH for me too..they are great!
Old 2013-07-24, 01:15

yep. thats one of the ones i have come up with by googling to! i think ill order them and try them out then! seems that they are good for production as well as listening to music in your free time! are you using any eq qith them while mixing? i heared a few freqs are slightly pushed in these headphones!?
any other suggestions are still welcome tho!
Old 2013-07-24, 01:48

Nope, just another vote for the ATH's
I live in Lancashire, England.
Old 2013-07-24, 01:57

How about Sony MDR-v6. A blast from the past, which you can still buy, by the way. $100 USD.

Here is a nice graph showing the frequency responses of ATH, KRK 8400, and the MDR-v6. The Sennheisers are thrown in just to give you a reference of what more money might get you.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...Type=0&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=2961&graphID[]=853&graphID[]=1513&scale=30

Edit: sorry, looks like my link is jacked up. I got the info from headphone.com. You can build the response graphs there.

Last edited by jzquantum; 2013-07-24 at 02:00.
Old 2013-07-24, 18:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomriv View Post
ATH M50 or KRK 8400.

I have the krk's and love them
Same here, KRK 8400s. The ATs are nice but I absolutely hate coiled cords. We have a pair of Sennheisers at the studio that sounds great but in a few months time the cords are all messed up. The coiled cables also tend to 'grab' things, which can wreak havoc in the studio by pulling expensive things over etc!

The 8400s are quite neutral, not overly hyped - for some this may cause you to boost too much bass and treble in your mixes, but for me they work great, are comfortable during extended listening periods, and seem to translate well to speakers. :-)
USA
Old 2013-07-24, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
Same here, KRK 8400s. The ATs are nice but I absolutely hate coiled cords. We have a pair of Sennheisers at the studio that sounds great but in a few months time the cords are all messed up. The coiled cables also tend to 'grab' things, which can wreak havoc in the studio by pulling expensive things over etc!

The 8400s are quite neutral, not overly hyped - for some this may cause you to boost too much bass and treble in your mixes, but for me they work great, are comfortable during extended listening periods, and seem to translate well to speakers. :-)
selig...I have the 8400s too. And yes I find I am boosting bass and treble too much. How are you getting around this?

Frequency response curve shows a pretty big dip in highs after 10k, IIRC and a majorly high bass shelf starting around 100 hz, I think.
Old 2013-07-24, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by u88gbp View Post
selig...I have the 8400s too. And yes I find I am boosting bass and treble too much. How are you getting around this?

Frequency response curve shows a pretty big dip in highs after 10k, IIRC and a majorly high bass shelf starting around 100 hz, I think.
It's all about matching your monitors to your tastes IMO. Interesting you are adding bass with these phones since it's already 10 dB hotter than the mids and highs (according to the graph attached below).

IMO it all depends on what you expect a mix to sound like. If you like lots of bass like I do, you'll do well to have monitors (including phones if you're mixing) that exaggerate the bass to the same degree - this will prevent you from adding too much bass since you'll be hearing 'boosted' bass when mixing.

I also tend to be sensitive to higher frequencies, so I need a system that downplays these frequencies so I am not afraid of adding them when necessary. Looking at the frequency response to the 8400s (which I haven't seen until now) I can see why I choose these phones, as they are a good match to my ears and my tastes.

So it may just be that you need a different approach to monitoring that more closely matches what you like to hear. Make sense? Otherwise, try listening to some mixes you really like for 5-10 minutes before you begin mixing your own music - this will allow your ears to naturally acclimate to the phone's frequency response, and then hopefully your mixes will be closer to your goals without having to consciously compensate. :-)

USA