Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2013-09-02, 01:22

EQ Presets for SSL mixer/channel strips

Since the channel strips are just like SSL strips, how about integrating a preset bank for things like, Backing Vocals, Drum Overheads, Lead Vocal, Guitar, Piano, etc etc etc.

EQ presets teach a lot to someone. Also, the Waves SSL Channel Strip plug-in comes with a MULTITUDE of presets designed by actual engineers. Just about any instrument or common track someone deals with in a studio has a preset for it.

Definitely one of the very fine hallmarks of one of Waves best offerings ever. Because the SSL set from Waves is WIDELY regarded as some of their best work ever. And for very good reason.

I cant remotely see how this would be to anyone's detriment.

Pay a known engineer for a days work and keep his presets.

This is not a bad suggestion.
Old 2013-09-02, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCricket View Post
I cant remotely see how this would be to anyone's detriment.
It would take up time and money that could be put to use elsewhere. I'd like to be able to save my own channel strips, though.
Old 2013-09-02, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcifer View Post
It would take up time and money that could be put to use elsewhere. I'd like to be able to save my own channel strips, though.
Yes, sometimes missing this feature too. ...
This point was posted more then one time in forum and while BetaTests.
Will be nice from props to give us that feature (I think they´ll do in one of the next versions)
* MAC & PC *: Reason / Recycle / Reason Ess. (7.01 / 2 / 2.01), Ableton Live-Suite 8, Harrison Mixbus 2.3.1, Reaper, ReNoise, MuTools, Energy-XT, MOTU BPM (with / and all Plugs from MOTU), MakeMusic Finale 2012, NanoStudio - * PC *: Samplitude Pro (Favo on PC !), Cakewalk: Project 5 / Sonar XPro, FL-Studio (complete with many of those Plugs) - * MAC *: LogicPro 9.18, MOTU DP 7.24 (My Favo on MAC) - * Apple IOS-Musicsoftware *: simply All ...
* VST/AU *: All MOTU-Plugs, all AAS-Plugs, NI FM8 & P5 & B4, Arturia Moog V & MiniMoog & CS80 & Arp 2600, ImpOscar, Korg digital & analog Edition, CMS Hall & Masterplugs, Cakewalk DimensionPro & Rapture, Waldorf Edition, Synapse Dune and more
* REFILLS *: Over 98 GB of "Original"-ReFills (Props / Soundcells / Reasonbanks / SonicR. / Mirosl. / SonicF. / Synth X ... ... Mostly use own programmed Sounds) - * RE´s *: Some ...
* - Propellerhead-User since ReBirth (Steinberg), Reason-/ReCycle-User since V.1 - * / since 1986 Progr. / Develop. / BTest / Brainst

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 2013-09-02, 14:23

EQ presets? Last time I saw any of those it was on a car stereo. I guess I could see this being useful to amateurs or kids just starting out, but only as a very generic and vague starting point.

For ex: how do you make a vocal preset when every mic, voice, preamp setup is different?
Or, how would a bass eq preset work, when the guy who made the preset was using a bass line in the key of C....but my bass line is in the key of A?

EQ should be used based on the material going thru it and, that changes every single time.
EQ is nothing more than amplitude, by frequencies...once people learn that, they would never need an EQ preset.
Old 2013-09-02, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub08 View Post
EQ presets? Last time I saw any of those it was on a car stereo. I guess I could see this being useful to amateurs or kids just starting out, but only as a very generic and vague starting point.

For ex: how do you make a vocal preset when every mic, voice, preamp setup is different?
Or, how would a bass eq preset work, when the guy who made the preset was using a bass line in the key of C....but my bass line is in the key of A?

EQ should be used based on the material going thru it and, that changes every single time.
EQ is nothing more than amplitude, by frequencies...once people learn that, they would never need an EQ preset.
It's simply a feature that exists in all other DAWs. And I don't think the key of a song makes that huge of a difference with EQ aside from what the lowest note is. (with A and C being relative major/minors, they aren't very far apart). Not everyone (actually never heard of this method before) targets specific note frequencies when EQing.

The thing that makes presets usable is when working with the same artists, being able to save custom settings.

Website
Old 2013-09-02, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by QVprod View Post
It's simply a feature that exists in all other DAWs. And I don't think the key of a song makes that huge of a difference with EQ aside from what the lowest note is. (with A and C being relative major/minors, they aren't very far apart). Not everyone (actually never heard of this method before) targets specific note frequencies when EQing.

The thing that makes presets usable is when working with the same artists, being able to save custom settings.
I respectfuly disagree!
The custom settings is one thing and, I could see saving your own being kind of useful.

As for the rest....you are pretty much targeting specific note frequencies every time you use an EQ, wether you know it or not.

The key and fundamental of any individual track totally matters with EQ. EQ is amplitude of frequencies. So, depending on what key you're in...any given preset might suck the life out of the track or boost another frequency unnecessarily.

Anyway, now that we have the Spectrum EQ, i think EQ presets are even less important. It's just too easy to dial in what you need, when and how you need it.
Old 2013-09-02, 16:33

as 008 pointed out, EQ presets are all but useless, and the argument could be made that that is ESPECIALLY true for people who are just starting to learn.

for example, how helpful would it be for an engineer just starting out to record some vocals, add an EQ preset for vocals, and think "hey, this is how it's supposed to sound!" even when the preset isn't at all appropriate for the vocal sound they've got going on in context with the rest of the mix?

your answer may be "well, their ears will tell them when it's bad, and they can make changes!", to which I'd have to say, that's what they should've started doing in the first place.
Old 2013-09-04, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitfnky View Post
as 008 pointed out, EQ presets are all but useless, and the argument could be made that that is ESPECIALLY true for people who are just starting to learn.

for example, how helpful would it be for an engineer just starting out to record some vocals, add an EQ preset for vocals, and think "hey, this is how it's supposed to sound!" even when the preset isn't at all appropriate for the vocal sound they've got going on in context with the rest of the mix?

your answer may be "well, their ears will tell them when it's bad, and they can make changes!", to which I'd have to say, that's what they should've started doing in the first place.
I couldn't of said it better myself! ...and i didn't.
Old 2013-09-02, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub08 View Post
As for the rest....you are pretty much targeting specific note frequencies every time you use an EQ, wether you know it or not.

The key and fundamental of any individual track totally matters with EQ. EQ is amplitude of frequencies. So, depending on what key you're in...any given preset might suck the life out of the track or boost another frequency unnecessarily.
I see what you're getting at, but I normally think in frequency ranges for instruments rather than A 440Hz as a target frequency for example.

I do agree though that using stock EQ presets is not the best idea (for beginners especially) I more so think custom patch saving would be cool for what I stated in my last post and live performance (keyboard rig) reasons.

Website
Old 2013-09-02, 17:43

I understand where everyone is coming from.

It would be great to have patch saving on the SSL strip. With patch saving also comes patch loading. It is never a good idea to simply use a preset for EQ, but can be a good starting point for many. Aside from other DAWs, many digital mixers come preloaded with EQ libraries.

If the feature to save patches is included, many of the Reason users could contribute to a gear specific ReFill. Yes, there will always be variables that are different. For instance, I could create an EQ patch I think is great for a snare. I could tell you that it uses a Beta 57A and Focusrite preamp. However, this would not account for the snare itself or the mic placement. However, it can be a great starting point.

The other answer has been to save settings in a template. For me, I don't like using templates. When I start a project, I don't necessarily know where it's going to go. It may have vocals...it may not. I always start with an empty rack. So, saving my EQ settings in a template isn't the best option for me. Although I suppose the template could be opened to be copy and pasted from...but that's not as great for workflow.

However, I know if I'm adding vocals, I know what mic and interface/preamp I will be using. So, being able to call up a patch I saved for vocals would be VERY handy =)

Last edited by joeyluck; 2013-09-02 at 17:47.