Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-09-14, 06:39

Accidentally saved the "demo" song over my song. Recovering a lost file?

Hi,

Windows XP user here. I cut the song folder and payed it into another drive. Then I accidentally replaced it with the Reason demo song, and then closed down Reason. When I re-opened Reason and tried to open my song, it was the Demo song. The only two options are to:

1. Somehow reverse the cut and paste action of the folder it is in (where original version of song was saved).

2. Somehow recover the previously saved version of my song before I stupidly pressed "yes" to "are you sure you want to replace the existing file?"

Or, third option:

Deal with it!

I haven't shut down the computer yet, but have shut down and restarted Reason quite a few times.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, I hope

Last edited by queen69; 2013-09-14 at 06:42.
Old 2013-09-14, 08:54

I don't remember XP having a way to undo overwriting a file...might want to do a quick search on that just in case, but unfortunately I think the only way to recover from something like this is to restore from a backup...which it doesn't sound like you have.

I think you'll probably have to just take it as a reminder that making regular backups is important and try to recreate it... Also, I'm not sure why your song had an identical name to one of the demo songs, but that's probably not a good idea...
Old 2013-09-14, 12:17

Thanks Gwynebiau,

It didn't have the same name. For some reason I had the demo song open and I pressed "save as" and I think I clicked on the song file name, therefore demo song saved as song file. Anyway lesson learned, what a duffus! I poured so much emotional energy into that riff, it represented something ive need feeling for a while now and it felt like a part of me had been ripped out when I lost the file!
Old 2013-09-14, 12:19

Search for the application restoration. some apps delete and rebuild the whole file and the previous version might still be on the hdd.
Configure Multiple Behringer BCF2000 on Reason 6:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...992#post903992
Old 2013-09-14, 13:11

That's awful...I hope that you can find some way to get it back or that at least you know enough of what you did to recreate it...if you exported an audio file at some point maybe that would help you recreate it?

I know it really sucks to lose things like that, and I don't mean to harp on it too much but even if you do everything right, eventually hard drives fail and having backups of your files on another drive or preferably somewhere else entirely (over the internet, handed off to a friend or family member, whatever) is sometimes the only thing that can save you from losing things that are important to you...sometimes a single song, sometimes years and years of work.

I haven't had that major of a disaster before, but I have lost several projects and various pictures and other things in the past...hopefully you won't have to deal with that again if you start backing things up regularly now. Good luck either way...I hope you at least manage to recreate what you lost.
Old 2013-09-14, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatalao View Post
Search for the application restoration. some apps delete and rebuild the whole file and the previous version might still be on the hdd.
Where would that be? I am using Windows XP. Do I need to install it somehow?
Old 2013-09-15, 00:06

Yep, it's a little portable app.
Configure Multiple Behringer BCF2000 on Reason 6:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...992#post903992