Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-09-21, 02:09

Question Macbook Air or Macbook Pro?

So I'm thinking about possibly getting a portable machine to run Reason 7 on. I was contemplating a Windows machine but I'm currently leaning more towards a Mac.

Question is, Air or Pro?

This would not be my main Reason workhorse and would only be used on my commute and whilst travelling away from home. Hence it needs to be very portable. Projects would ultimately be transferred to my main workstation in my studio at home for completion and polish etc.

I like the Air as it's very slim and lightweight but would a high spec model be powerful enough to run Reason well (as opposed to the Pro)?

Thoughts on a postcard please.
Old 2013-09-21, 04:01

I recently made this exact choice myself. I went with the MBP over the Air, ONLY because of the retina display. To me, it makes a huge difference having that extra resolution available. And for a $200 difference in price between my 13" MBP and an equivalent Air, and slightly less than a pound of weight difference... it just didn't make any sense to give up the res.

Reason runs great on it BTW. I use it as you do - a very secondary machine for those occasions when I'm on a business trip or whatever and want to have the ability to fiddle around with musical ideas if I feel the urge.

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ME & SAY HI

Some stuff I've made with Reason...

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-09-21, 04:47

I'd go with the MBP too, but if the size and weight difference are very important to you, the Air could still be a good choice, I'd just hold off on adding some of the more CPU heavy effects until you get home if you make pretty CPU heavy tracks. I'd also expect to spend a lot of time zoomed in on a 13 inch screen...
Old 2013-09-21, 05:00

good point on the small screen, especially at higher resolutions.

BTW if you happen to also have an iPad, you can get AirDisplay and turn it into a second monitor. Works great.

CLICK HERE TO EMAIL ME & SAY HI

Some stuff I've made with Reason...

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-09-21, 07:54

MBPro all the way. You need as much processor as you can get. Even if you think you won't use CPU heavy effects while on the laptop... you'll still want to, and the lack of horsepower will piss you off sooner or later.
Old 2013-09-21, 20:43

Don't even need to read any post.

Pro all the way. No doubt.

My collection
Instruments: Synapse Antidote - PX7 FM Synthesizer - A-Series 1 Modular Synth - A-Series 2 Modular Synth - Polysix - WBL5515 - AutoArp (Why is this with Instruments though?)
Creative FX : Resampler - Itsy - Polar - Echobode - Buffre - Glitch Effect - Audiomatic* - Red Queen
Studio FX: Stereo Splitter - 4Dyne - Saturation Knob - ReQ131 - Uhbik A - Ozone Maximizer
Utilities: CV Suite Line Processor - Morfin XF Crossfader - Shelob - Pulsar - WBL3001 - Directre - Measure - RE 180 - ReMark - 4 Phase LFO - Scope Junior

Macbook Pro 17" Early 2011 / 2.2GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram / 128GB SSD / KRKKNS-8400 / M-Audio Radium '49 / Roland RD300GX / Jesus

Artist names: Vinn!e - Vincent - The Reverend - Mr. Jazzman