Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2013-10-18, 05:59

How do you create an ambient swell with a patch?

I noticed watching videos for guitarists creating an ambient swell by putting a volume pedal after their delay and reverb pedals. Then he would have the volume all the way off, strum a chord, and slowly bring the volume up which cuts of the attack off the strum thus bringing about the "swell" sound. Is there a way to route the audio in reason to do that with a patch and maybe a volume pedal?

Thanks!
Old 2013-10-18, 19:25

Yep, you will want to experiment with CV routing possibilities in reason. Your tab key will become your best friend and you may want to set your visual display up so that wiring does not become too engrossing.

There are a number of ways to attain the effect your asking as well as a number of degrees of dynamic intensity, depending on how you go about this process.

You will want to experiment with Frequency Modulation Envelopes (readily identifiable on synths and samplers) and LFOs - specifically LFOs which will allow you to route volume automation, so you will need to correlate wiring outputs on the backside of whatever module youre using with the effect parameters you are manipulating.

I would take for sake of example, a subtractor and route it into a 14:1 mixer (create a combi so that the whole thing is self-contained and easy to work with). Dont worry about the actual sound output of this subtractor - disconnect that socket. However, you will want to connect the lfo1 socket in the middle of the synth back to the globel cv knob output on the back of the 14:1 mixer - this is going to be relationally behind the volume fader when you hit tab.

Now, route your guitar into the mixer - you can split the signal into two even for a more even sound, L in to channel 1 and R into channel 2 and hard panned -64 and 64 respectively. You should immediately here what the lfo is doing to the guitar sound. The volume becomes automated, based on the parameters set in the lfo 1 on the subtractor. So, you could set it to the Saw pattern at 1/4 time sync and essentially create a swell concurrent with how sidechain compression functions.. or whatever you want.

You can alternatively connect the Filter Env Mod output on the back of the subtractor to the global volume cv knob on the back of the mixer too.. this will allow you to manipulate your swell via ADSR values.

Hope this helps - let me know if i can be of further assistance.
VRM Box w/ Senn 280 Pro Headphones
Full Aurelex/NextAcoustics Studio Treatment

Reracks: Too many to list now.. Feel free to ask for reviews.

Highly Rec: Stereo Splitter, Saturation, Faturator, C1-L1 Compressor, Selig Leveler, Unifylter, RE131, G8 Dynamic Gate (DSP hog), Audiomatic, KHs ONE, Viking, Predator, etc.
Old 2013-10-18, 19:27

Additionally, for increased automated presence in the mix, you can create a second/third subtractor and route their lfo1's or filter env mod's to the pan cv knobs located on the back of the 14:1 mixer relationally behind the channel 1 and channel 2 faders. then you can manipulate the panning direction/speed etc. to taste with the lfos on the subtractor and cv knobs on the back of the mixer.
VRM Box w/ Senn 280 Pro Headphones
Full Aurelex/NextAcoustics Studio Treatment

Reracks: Too many to list now.. Feel free to ask for reviews.

Highly Rec: Stereo Splitter, Saturation, Faturator, C1-L1 Compressor, Selig Leveler, Unifylter, RE131, G8 Dynamic Gate (DSP hog), Audiomatic, KHs ONE, Viking, Predator, etc.
Old 2013-10-30, 00:09

Thanks for the replies! I'll give it a shot! Sorry for the late reply.