Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-10-24, 20:39

Lua Script interface

We already have Lua scripts for the Remote codecs and the GUI part of Rack Extensions. It would be nice to be able to extend menus and create our own commands with Lua.

That way, we could automate a lot of those everyday tasks we have to do, but that are not important enough to actually request them from the Propellerheads.

A simple script interface would execute scripts on click (no realtime hooks within the engine), and grant access to functionality like creating and deleting devices; moving devices around in the rack; creating and changing the cable connections; creating, deleting and moving mixer channel strips, et cetera.

As I come from the graphics programming and 3D rendering area, I just love any kind of scripting interfaces, because I can easily extend the functionality of my favorite software without having to bug the developers of the application (or wait for them to implement my personal wishes for me).
Old 2013-10-24, 21:55

not a good idear at all because imagine the guys that dont know much and starting to change stuff without really knowing what and then coming back here and cry LOL pure stress for props LOL .

if you are a 3d devs then you can apply here and then sell your remote codecs or whatever and most of all run your tests http://www.propellerheads.se/blog/tu...ontrol-remote/

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !
Old 2013-10-24, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlycharlzz View Post
not a good idear at all because imagine the guys that dont know much and starting to change stuff without really knowing what and then coming back here and cry LOL pure stress for props LOL .
Of course, you can always get lost in complex matters. Can already happen if you create supercomplex wiring between your Reason devices.

Adding a simple Scripting interface to automate stuff that you can do anyway (just manually, using the GUI) would not change that in any way.

And yes, of course it's a pro feature and maybe not for everyone. But it would make working in Reason so much more comfortable.

Quote:
if you are a 3d devs then you can apply here and then sell your remote codecs or whatever and most of all run your tests http://www.propellerheads.se/blog/tu...ontrol-remote/
I don't want to write a Remote codec. That I could already do anyway. I want to automate stuff. Simple tasks, like moving a device forward or backward in the signal chain. Currently, this would require me to unplug 2 to 4 cables and plugin them back in, in a different order. With a simple 4 to 8-line script, this would be just one click.

Reason has a Lua scripting host anyway, I just want to use it in more places of the application to make better use of the technology that is already there.

Last edited by c4djack; 2013-10-24 at 22:02.
Old 2013-10-24, 23:15

Quote:

But probably not very many people would go digging around and messing with it if they didn't know what they were doing. And if they wanted to learn about it, people would understand that the capability is there to do things incorrectly. This is true even now with any codec work, gotta backup those originals if you don't want to fuck it up

I think it's a fantastic idea, and I would be the first to pay for your work in this regard. Let's extend them functionalities!

Last edited by JesseRyckman; 2013-10-24 at 23:17.
Old 2013-10-24, 23:27

Simple scripting is not as difficult as making a hardware codec work. And simple scripting for automation does not go deep enough to really f*** things up. Maybe people would script some weird stuff, but then again, they could also wire Reason up in weird ways, and turn Reason's knobs in weird ways.

As I said, of course scripting is not for everyone, and it does require some days of learning. But if that would be reason enough not to provide people with scripting interfaces, there would be no software on the market doing so. But there is