Propellerhead Software
Old 2013-11-15, 23:28

Clip launcher

Who else likes the workflow of using a clip launcher? With more and more DAWs adding a feature like this in recent years, is it time clip-based non-linear sequencing came to Reason?

I could see it fitting in nicely with the Blocks functionality.

Honestly, this is my number one feature request.
Old 2013-11-16, 17:51

+1 for this, we could finally use blocks at their full potential
Old 2013-11-16, 18:59

As others have mentioned, I expected Blocks to do this from the start. Anyone who's used Studio Vision Pro knows what I'm talking about. You could launch clips in real time from the alpha-numeric keyboard or from a MIDI keyboard or pads, or you could build a "list" by a "step entry" method in non-real time.

I expected/hoped for a Matrix like pattern based interface (for UI consistency), with 32 patterns/blocks, the ability to create blocks from existing materiel and expand a block back to regular tracks, trigger blocks in real time while recording the sequence of block into the blocks track, set blocks to looping or one shot, etc.

As you say, it would fit in quite nicely with the existing Blocks functionality. :-)
USA
Old 2013-11-16, 20:33

I'm sure the Props could do a good job of it.

I would hope for the ability to trigger only parts of full blocks too, and automation. Triggering only full blocks wouldn't be as useful as being able to trigger individual clips for each track.

But I also agree with your suggestions Giles, especially expanding blocks into regular tracks, recording the triggering into tracks, and different trigger settings (perhaps even follow-actions? )
Old 2013-11-16, 20:39

Although it's frustrating to have to create a work around you can create something similar to a clip launcher.

The Volt SL1 can do timed CV switching as can Directre. You can use this signal to activate the MIDI note receive on Thor or any synth in a Combinator. So you can drop your sequences in a timed manner like you would with Ableton.

This method won't give you pattern changes though. It's possible too but requires more trickery
Old 2013-11-16, 20:50

Example attached. Apologies for the crappy sequences, I just wanted to show the technique.

This example requires Directre, you could use SL1 also.
http://we.tl/iXvTeHFrun