Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2002-08-21, 02:53

SOS on Reason audio recording, VST plug-ins and MIDI out

So far we've not mentioned three features that many Reason users are still asking for: audio recording, VST plug-in support, and MIDI output.
Propellerhead have their reasons (sorry!) for not providing these most-wanted facilities. Regarding audio recording, you might sum up their stance as not wanting to do the job by halves and, if they do it at all, wanting to formulate an approach to audio recording that is as unique as the rest of Reason. As Propellerhead co-founder Ernst Nathorst-B
Old 2002-08-21, 05:36

Re: SOS on Reason audio recording, VST plug-ins and MIDI out

I hear what You're saying.

Though I'd have to add that I agree with the P.heads philosophy.

Reason is not meant to be another Cubase. Although, one of those features You mention would greatly improve Reason...Plug in support.

Midi can already be exported as a file and playback of audio is possible even if dependent on computer power (by loading a huge file in NN19), BUT plug-ins are not supported in any way.
It would be great to not have to open another application and Rewire to add plugs.

Now that I think about it again...a playback device ("Reason DAT") would be quite tasty as well.....
Old 2002-08-21, 06:20

: Now that I think about it again...a playback device ("Reason DAT") would be quite tasty as well.....

Nice 1 demonsp. Finally you've seen the light!!

Old 2002-08-21, 09:40

forget the DAT machine! I want to see audio tracks layed out in the sequencer, so I can actually *see* my audio files and arrange them. And then I want too see all my automation in there too. And then there's that sample editor... and.... and...

I'm not sure if audio recording and midiout will make it into reason or not (I'm really not too fussed personally, i use other things for that), but if they do they'll probably come hand in hand (not much point in having midiout if you can't record audio right!).

(good post btw lucille)
Old 2002-08-21, 13:00

Just midi out would do me fine!( juslisten to me whine! lol)

I've already been over this too many times to bother rehashing the details of exactly why I would like to see midi out more than any other new feature right now.
It basicly boils down to the fact that my favorite composition enviroment is now the Reason sequencer,and this isolated enviroment with no direct communication to the ouside midi world has largely made my other midi instruments largly inconvenient and non intuitive to use.
If there were midi out,I am quite sure that I could find a way to get the resulting audio back into Reason!!!?Doh!
I appreciate the fact that the ultimate goal with Reason appears to be to maintain a self contained enviroment for compatibility from system to system,and sharing of songs,but already the use of commercial refills and rewire has put a damper on this philosophy,so what could being able to communicate to external devices hurt? ......
.........sigh,I'm rambling.I guess I'll shut up now.
There's no sense trying so hard to explain to people who already know exactly what I mean.
Grease that squeaky wheel
Old 2002-08-21, 18:19

I get ya ;) n/t

:I've already been over this too many times to bother rehashing the details of exactly why I would like to see midi out more than any other new feature right now.
: It basicly boils down to the fact that my favorite composition enviroment is now the Reason sequencer,and this isolated enviroment with no direct communication to the ouside midi world has largely made my other midi instruments largly inconvenient and non intuitive to use.
: If there were midi out,I am quite sure that I could find a way to get the resulting audio back into Reason!!!?Doh!
: I appreciate the fact that the ultimate goal with Reason appears to be to maintain a self contained enviroment for compatibility from system to system,and sharing of songs,but already the use of commercial refills and rewire has put a damper on this philosophy,so what could being able to communicate to external devices hurt? ......
:.........sigh,I'm rambling.I guess I'll shut up now.
: There's no sense trying so hard to explain to people who already know exactly what I mean.
: Grease that squeaky wheel
:
Old 2002-08-21, 19:48

My thoughts exactly...

This cripples half the studio.

Just think if all you wanted to do was use Reason in-sync with your other hardware to run through a mixer and send to tape. It just won't work. Stop telling me to buy another app and use rewire. I have another app, DP3 but the rewire linkage is problematic. It is really a sad corner that have been painted with the exclusion of MIDI-out and audio playback. Sure I am going to find ways around this obstacle because that's just the way I am, but if a feature is requested by a majority of customers, then why not at least rethink your position.

Now saying all of that, I realize that it is up to the developers and the company to set policy. Of course, if in finality MIDI-out or audio playback is not implemented, that is the case, and I'll live with it - but I'll also vote with my money. I own all of their apps.

OK... I've have lobbied enough for these features over the last few days, if anyone else is of like-mind, send a suggestion to Propellerheads as I did. Signing off and will check back in a month or so. I know they want me out of here and I don't want to over-extend my welcome. Besides, I have work to do!
Old 2002-08-21, 21:49

Re: Just midi out would do me fine!( juslisten to me whine!

: Reason sequencer ... has largely made my other midi instruments largly inconvenient and non-intuitive to use.
---

Maybe it's time to scrap those boat anchors. :-)

- ell
Old 2002-08-22, 02:23

Sweet, I've saved that as a text file - so I can just repost it next time some plonker comes up with the "Steinberg made them sign a secret agreement not to have VST/MIDI out functionality" line :-)