Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2002-11-04, 16:58

Dynamic Beat Construction--- Idm/Glitch/Click/Variety

Hello All,
1st time post. Anyone have a solid approach (or tutorial link) to programming in Reason a dynamic beat construction. I'm thinking in the vein of ambient drum+bass, in which you have that aggressively icy break beat and the warm and innocent ambience floating above. Best example perhaps would be Funckarma, Quench, Autechre (pre-academic)...
free download at funckarma.com for reference. I imagine they are using a vst setup to have the beat stutter. How could this be done in reason? I feel the flam won't cut it. Analyzing these styles, I have noticed that any given loop will change it's structure/dynamics no later than after 2 or 3 measures. My first guess would be to even pull something like this off, you'd have around 25 redrums and rexs' weaving the whole time... Possible? Anyone have a reason song this strong?
Sometimes I wonder how interesting it would be if someone like Aphex Twin released a series of eps titling each track after the application he used respectively. Think, you could listen how he breaks apart the way each device in each program is SUPPOSED to be used while watching on the application itself. Just like the factory demos... Anyhow, get back to me on this if possible.

Thank you for your time,

o0O0o
Old 2002-11-04, 17:53

Re: Dynamic Beat Construction--- Idm/Glitch/Click/Variety

Hi

Sunwolf - the run
at www.reasonstation.net

It's not 100% the thing you asked for, but I do think it's very educative to study this song (not by me)

Cheers
Refills & Rex2: free & for sale
Old 2002-11-04, 19:04

:Hi
:
:Sunwolf - the run
:at www.reasonstation.net
:

There's no artist or song by that name in the search at Reasonstation... you sure that's correct?

Drew
song
Old 2002-11-04, 22:06

You're right, it's removed, sorry n/t

::Hi
::
::Sunwolf - the run
::at www.reasonstation.net
::
:
:There's no artist or song by that name in the search at Reasonstation... you sure that's correct?
:
rew
Old 2002-11-04, 20:03

I don't think Reason is the best tool for this 'style' of music -- Reaktor, MAX/MSP is what you need.

:Hello All,
: 1st time post. Anyone have a solid approach (or tutorial link) to programming in Reason a dynamic beat construction. I'm thinking in the vein of ambient drum+bass, in which you have that aggressively icy break beat and the warm and innocent ambience floating above. Best example perhaps would be Funckarma, Quench, Autechre (pre-academic)...
:free download at funckarma.com for reference. I imagine they are using a vst setup to have the beat stutter. How could this be done in reason? I feel the flam won't cut it. Analyzing these styles, I have noticed that any given loop will change it's structure/dynamics no later than after 2 or 3 measures. My first guess would be to even pull something like this off, you'd have around 25 redrums and rexs' weaving the whole time... Possible? Anyone have a reason song this strong?
: Sometimes I wonder how interesting it would be if someone like Aphex Twin released a series of eps titling each track after the application he used respectively. Think, you could listen how he breaks apart the way each device in each program is SUPPOSED to be used while watching on the application itself. Just like the factory demos... Anyhow, get back to me on this if possible.
:
:Thank you for your time,
:
0O0o
:
Old 2002-11-04, 20:38

I agree, go for Reaktor, Reason't won't cut it n/t

Old 2002-11-04, 20:52

I have made tracks with very cut up samples. I find using rex files good for this. Also experiment with the random feature. Or just move everything around by hand and use quantisation. Kind of hard to explain sorry but theres no need to have 25 redrums. Especially since you can set up multiple tracks to trigger the same drum machine. Check out my track hush, hush lover at

www.mp3.com/kid_kinetics
Old 2002-11-05, 22:52

You can do this in reason. It might help to have a more in depth sequencing/editing capabilities but I have heard amazing stuff programmed using an old akai and an archaic sequencer. You just need to practice and start messing around with sliced beats and taking slices and series of slices and rearranging them, along with getting to know the redrum. For starters. There is no magic shortcut, that intricately programmed stuff is work. But Reason will "cut it".