Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2002-12-07, 23:23

need headphone recommendations...

Heyo. I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD590s, which I have been very happy with. There's a intermittant transistor in the left ear which buzzes slightly on occasion, but they're still under warentee, so it's okay.

What I wanna know is, what would be a good pair of headphones with similar quality to top dynamic sennheisers, but with better isolation? THe 590s are great, but provide practically no ambient noise isolation whatsoever. They also need to be very neutral and usable for monitoring as well as quasi-hi-fi listening, so something like Grado RS1s are out.

What would be a good choice in the sub $400 catagory? And please, no one say Sony...

- Springs
Old 2002-12-07, 23:44

Re: need headphone recommendations...

Why not Sony? Sony MDR-CD3000 are quite hot.
Old 2002-12-08, 00:17

Re: Better than Sennheiser...

Beyerdynamic DT-770 (I believe is the #)
Comfy on the ears....and crystal clear sound...
They keep outside noise out too...

mikemidi-
Old 2002-12-08, 01:05

:Beyerdynamic DT-770 (I believe is the #)
:Comfy on the ears....and crystal clear sound...
:They keep outside noise out too...
:
:mikemidi-
:

You say these are better than sennheiser.. but have you compared them to a pair of sennheister 600s or 590s?

- Springs
Old 2002-12-08, 02:27

have you compared them to a pair of sennheister 600s or 590s?

Never did a side-by-side listening test...but Sennheisers always seemed 'delicate' to me..like flimsy...the Beyers are pretty hefty..but after reading some of these other replies, it occured to me they are a bit heavy...
Just my opinion anyway...
Old 2002-12-08, 01:04

:Why not Sony? Sony MDR-CD3000 are quite hot.

I owned a pair of MDR-CD3000s, and they sound like junk. Returned em the next day. Bassy, hollow, and terrible for mixing.
Old 2002-12-08, 00:40

whatabout Beyer Ear-Defending headphones....they look like they're made of kevlar....I swear by the sonys Stevie Wonder is wearing in a show I was viewing last week on Biography channel (MDR-V600(like fingernails scratchin a blackboard, eh?)...I've had a pair for 8 years & abused them from day one.....they just recently needed to be replaced & they still work...just some bits need rplacing...sounds like you need higher quality than that tho......I like the AT 404s I got for xmas last year....nice fit...but not not higher quality.
Old 2002-12-08, 01:03

Etymotic ER4s in-ear monitoring phones offer 23dB of isolation. Not sure if you would find them comfortable, but the quality is top notch. I use a pair when travelling, but mainly use HD600's at home. I use a separate headphone amp with internal signal processing to restore the soundstage. For great info and reviews on headphones and amps, check out the Headroom website!
Headroom
Old 2002-12-08, 01:09

:Etymotic ER4s in-ear monitoring phones offer 23dB of isolation. Not sure if you would find them comfortable, but the quality is top notch. I use a pair when travelling, but mainly use HD600's at home. I use a separate headphone amp with internal signal processing to restore the soundstage. For great info and reviews on headphones and amps, check out the Headroom website!

Yeah... I couldn't quite afford the 600s when I got the 590s. :-)
My friend has a pair of 600s, and they sound in a way quite like electrostatics. Very nice, although I think the sound of the 590s is a bit more balanced. I'd still take the 600s though.

Im not so sure about in-ear though... never used them. They compare well to more traditional headphones?
Old 2002-12-08, 01:12
Konsin

For making music.

Use AKG K240 Studio, they will show you how the sounds without any bass-enhancements or brilliant high-freq equalisation, just a linear frequency-spectrum as you need it for listening the music you make.