Propellerhead Software
Old 2003-01-27, 05:32

Has ReWire 2 finally come of age?

At NAMM 2003 last week there was news about ReWire 2 on multiple fronts. Most prominent was the joint announcement by Propellerhead and Digidesign that Pro Tools 6 will support ReWire 2, but upcoming versions of Logic (version 6, due in Feb) and Digital Performer 3 (for OS X, due in "early 2003") were also announced to have ReWire 2 support. With ReWire 2 already in Sonar 2, Live! and Cubase SX, I think that's all the major sequencers updated for ReWire 2 support.

ReWire has been nothing but frustrating and disappointing to me so far, but that was ReWire 1 with Digital Performer 3 and Logic 4 & 5. I've seen ReWire 2 working in Sonar 2 at a friend's place and was much more impressed by it; ever since then I've been waiting for the day when Logic will support ReWire 2, and now it's finally (almost) here. The very idea of finally, properly integrating Reason and Logic (you would think such things would go together naturally -- heh) has me drooling. Who knows...I might even finish some bloody tracks!

Now if that damn OS X version of Absynth would come out one of these days (and an X-native version of ReCycle while we're at it)...I might not have to reboot to 9 for much longer!
Old 2003-01-27, 06:15

Re: not yet...ask again at musikmesse...

:
The key to real usable rewire in stereo ins from
Reason into the host. So far only ableton has gotten
this right. One success in two years...not good.

The future for Rewire does look bright this year, though. CakeWalk is using it in their own Project5--
which indicates to me that they now have stereo
routing (or they are complete idiots). Emagic claimed
rewire compatibility in 4.7, so be skeptical. The fact
digi has got on board seems a testament to Reason's industry power position.

In the non rewire world--there is FL vst and soon to
be FL studio. While I'm a big fruity fan, FL vst flakiness has shown the need for a rewire type arrangement.
Old 2003-01-27, 20:54

Re: not yet...ask again at musikmesse...

::
:The key to real usable rewire in stereo ins from
:Reason into the host. So far only ableton has gotten
:this right. One success in two years...not good.
:
:The future for Rewire does look bright this year, though. CakeWalk is using it in their own Project5--
:which indicates to me that they now have stereo
:routing (or they are complete idiots). Emagic claimed
:rewire compatibility in 4.7, so be skeptical. The fact
:digi has got on board seems a testament to Reason's industry power position.
:
:In the non rewire world--there is FL vst and soon to
:be FL studio. While I'm a big fruity fan, FL vst flakiness has shown the need for a rewire type arrangement.

Ableton getting it right with Live can be attributed to Ableton - not Propellerheads. Isn't it up to the developers to implement ReWire in their host apps?

I suppose you were right when you say that ReWire from Digidesign is a testament to Reason's industry power: regardless if whether or not Props "sweet talked" Digi - they obviously felt their users wanted Reason in it, and now we have it (or do soon anyways)!

With the exception to Cakewalk/Project 5, I think ReWire is starting to hit market saturation for proper integration of Reason. I can't remember the name of it, but there's a super cheap sequencer program for like $89 (USD) and even - IT - has ReWire 2 abilities with the latest release. If the small kids on the corporate block are doing it, it's only a matter of time before all of the biggun's do, too. Just a few more to go...

:The key to real usable rewire in stereo ins from
:Reason into the host. So far only ableton has gotten
:this right. One success in two years...not good.

Maybe it's just taken this long for all of the companies to realize that Reason * IS * a serious piece of software. It's only going to get better; they'd be fools not to. I think it boils down to this: if their users request ReWire, then they will make it so.
Old 2003-01-28, 09:12

You have your facts mixed up about Logic

:Emagic claimed rewire compatibility in 4.7, so be skeptical.

There *was* ReWire compatibility in Logic 4.7. That feature still works in the latest version too (5.5) -- just not in Mac OS X at all. There is no reason to be skeptical; it says right up there at the top of Emagic's Logic 6 page that ReWire 2 support is definitely in Logic 6. Furthermore, several people saw it working perfectly at NAMM.