Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-02-01, 21:54

TERRIBLE NEWS: Space shuttle exploded over Texas!

Sorry for this unrelated news, but I used to follow the space program religiously. Space shuttle Columbia exploded after re-entry - all astronauts are dead; check the link for story:
Seven astronauts killed as shuttle shatters
Old 2003-02-02, 00:43

Re: shouldn't that be in the music forum?

:Sorry for this unrelated news, but I used to follow the space program religiously. Space shuttle Columbia exploded after re-entry - all astronauts are dead; check the link for story:
Old 2003-02-02, 02:16

Are you an insensative bastard, or do you play one on TV?

Seriously lucille - in the US, it's a national tragedy. We're talking about the death of 7 astronauts, 2 of which represented a huge milestones in the space program. How could you play sarcasm in a time like this?

Kalpana Chawla was the first Indian-born woman in space; Ilan Ramon was the first person from Israel to be in space - and the other 5 were no less important.

I thought that other Propellerhead software users would appreciate the story's link, and as I tend to not post in the "music forum" I figured here would be a good spot.

lucille, I've read your posts before and never thought that you of all people could take that attitude. What's gotten into you?
Old 2003-02-02, 18:31

Probably but maybe not.

::What's gotten into you?

Well, what youre seeing here is perhaps a hint of lacking sympathies for the US as a nation. Are you surprised that there are so few people replying to your thread? Im not. There are people all over the world aware of the facts that the US is about to kill thousands of innocent civilians in Iraq, just as it killed thousand of innocents in Afganistan last year. Who cares if 7 people in the US dies? People dies all over the world everyday from violent acts, starvation and torture, still you never see them on the news. Heck, over 30 000 people in the US kills each other every year with their own guns, thats almost a 11/9 each month. But thats what americans call "freedom", so I guess its no big headlines either.

I guess perhaps you are feeling pissed at me for this reply, but this is not directed to you personally EnochLight, you are one of the guys on this forum that shows great intelligense and one of the people here I almost always agree with. Im just taking the temperature on the common people over here. Im very, very far from being alone with this thoughts.

Kind regards,

Ulven
[url=http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/guns/guns_romance.html]Makin
Old 2003-02-02, 19:50

Mhm...

Yeah, increasing negative sentiments about US foreign policies and USA in general would probably play a part in this, and as usual it doesn't help with the old "but there were people of other nationalities involved!". I personally think the Columbia disaster is very sad, and I can't justify making the far-fetched connection between this and US foreign policy, but I can understand if some people do.

I have a hunch Americans would be shocked if they had an idea of Western European sentiments about the Iraq development... as Elrond said, "Our list of allies grows thin". Oh wait, did I say shocked? Sorry, I meant indifferent. ("Look pal, if it weren't for our proud boys in the 101st, Sweden would be a shitty province of Germany" etc)

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Old 2003-02-02, 20:18

Re: Mhm...

:I have a hunch Americans would be shocked if they had an idea of Western European sentiments about the Iraq development

I was in the US over the new year period and I was suprised at how many Americans I met who actually shared the same sentiments about Iraq as many of the people do over here in Europe. There were a few I met who blindly protested "Bush is the best thing to ever happen to America" etc, but the overall sentiment was definitely not as i expected it to be. Makes you wonder just how much our perceptions of other people and their feelings are directly influenced by the 'media machine'.
Old 2003-02-03, 04:11

Well, here's my thoughts on all this...

:::What's gotten into you?
:
:Well, what youre seeing here is perhaps a hint of lacking sympathies for the US as a nation. Are you surprised that there are so few people replying to your thread? Im not. There are people all over the world aware of the facts that the US is about to kill thousands of innocent civilians in Iraq, just as it killed thousand of innocents in Afganistan last year. Who cares if 7 people in the US dies? People dies all over the world everyday from violent acts, starvation and torture, still you never see them on the news. Heck, over 30 000 people in the US kills each other every year with their own guns, thats almost a 11/9 each month. But thats what americans call "freedom", so I guess its no big headlines either.
:
:I guess perhaps you are feeling pissed at me for this reply, but this is not directed to you personally EnochLight, you are one of the guys on this forum that shows great intelligense and one of the people here I almost always agree with. Im just taking the temperature on the common people over here. Im very, very far from being alone with this thoughts.
:
:Kind regards,
:
:Ulven

Thanks for the response, Ulven. Yes, I am not so diluted to think that the world likes the US. As a citizen, I have accepted the fact that I am not the most popular in the world of nations - this is true. But I do not blame the government and show no sympathy when a tragedy such as this happens. The reason why I made the post in the first place is because as a child, I always dreamed of being an astronaut. I followed the space program intensely. When the first shuttle accident happened, I was no less sympathetic - and this was during the Reagan years of the US - talk about gluttenous.

The fact of the matter is this: I do not take a political pulse check of a person's nation when something like this happens.

I show sympathy, regret, and understanding.

When Saddam Hussein used VX gas on his own people and killed 4,000 civilians, I mourned the loss for the Iraqi people. When Hitler murdered millions of people in concentration camp, I mourned the people of the world - including the German civilians who were governed under his dictatorship. When the Czars and their families were murdered during the Soviet revolution, I mourned the Russian people. When the US government caused the death of hundreds of people in Texas because of their religious beliefs, I mourned those people. I do not hate any one nation because of their leaders - I understand their plights and take pity.

If people choose to hate the US because of who their leaders are, then so be it. But keep me out of it. I rent apartments for a living for God's sake - I'm no politician or social revolutionary. I wish I could be that - but I'm not.

NASA is a civilian organisation - isn't it? The crew members on that shuttle were a global people, were they not? India, Israel, America? I could care less if they were or weren't - all I'm saying is that it saddens me when people take the attitude "oh well, just 7 Americans were lost, and who cares about that - they had it coming".

Anyways, peace with you. I hope I am not hated here for my citizenship. I thought a global forum is where one could go for friendship.

EnochLight

Old 2003-02-03, 09:21

Re: Well, here's my thoughts on all this...

: When the Czars and their families were murdered during the Soviet revolution, I mourned the Russian people.

Wow! You mourned in 1918? You're, like, old.

Old 2003-02-03, 17:50

EnochLight...

:::
: I hope I am not hated here for my citizenship.

Oh no EnochLight, quite the opposite.

Though internet is fantastic for communication with people around the world, I sometimes wish I could meet the people in person. I am pretty sure you and I agree on most of this stuff, but unfortunately things get lost between the lines, especialy since english is not my first language.
As I said in the first letter, nothing was directed to you as a person, it
Old 2003-02-03, 22:24

Re: Well, here's my thoughts on all this...

AMEN, the truest words I've ever read here on this board.

(Well except maybe 'Reason will not support VSTi, Audio In, MIDI Out')

Your attitude couldn't be any closer to mine. I personally agree that many dislike the US, however I feel many of them need to look in the mirror. They have themselves become must more guilty - it seems we have entered an era where you cannot even lamet a tragedy without being told 'Haha! You and your people suck!'. America isn't perfect (I'm glad I live in Canada), but it seems that the tarnish on their shine brings out the absolute worst in those they share the planet with. I would rather have Americans as neighbours then what appears to be the majority of others - bigoted, insensitive people who lash out even at a time of sadness, because they are too close-minded to see past your 'American-ness'.

Just my two cents. I'm bummed and I'm leaving this board for a bit. Peace EnochLight.

-LG
Ottawa, Canada