Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-04-14, 15:05

Using Reason to create Prog Metal / Fusion music

Hey Guys,

Just a quick thread to find out if anybody out there is using Reason for progressive rock and Jazz fusion styles. I'd be intested in hearing some Reason projects in these styles.
I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Reason 2.5, what with the new Distortion FX rack which is what I have been waiting for in Reason. I think my lead sounds will benefit from this. Also would like to know what Midi controllers you use as I am looking to get another controller (already have Oxygen 8 which is great) but thought a Radium 61 would be good but need something with a good solid action (I am used to 88/76 note keyboards) and there is not much to choose from out there.

All the best,

Justin in the UK.
Old 2003-04-14, 15:31

Re: Using Reason to create Prog Metal / Fusion music

:Hi Justin,

I love bands like Dream Theater, Meshuga, Bela Fleck, etc. Also, Devin Townsend, Steve Vai, etc. I do dance music as a complete novice. Currently I am working on a suite of 15 pieces, all inter-related to a deeper structure. I am planning to publish this as a complete set when I am done. I really like the diversity of styles in dance music. My rock and jazz background benefits from being shaken up by the loads of grooves out there. What I hate, though, is the pretence that the institutions (schools) instill in their students. Music belongs to everyone. Post some of your work! Maybe it will inspire some of us (ME!) to do the same.
Best wishes...
Old 2003-04-14, 16:12

:I love bands like Dream Theater, Meshuga, Bela Fleck, etc. Also, Devin Townsend, Steve Vai, etc. I do dance music as a complete novice. Currently I am working on a suite of 15 pieces, all inter-related to a deeper structure.

Devin Townsend=God
Liquid Tension Experiment ain't bad either... well worth checking out, especially if you like Dream Theater
Old 2003-04-14, 16:26

I know LTExp. Tony Levin is one of my favourite bassists! But I don't think LTE was an ideal platform for him.
Old 2003-04-14, 16:13

::Hi Justin,
:
:I love bands like Dream Theater, Meshuga, Bela Fleck, etc. Also, Devin Townsend, Steve Vai, etc. I do dance music as a complete novice.

I too was more into the Prog rock bands like Rush, Yes, Asia, Dream Theatre, ELP etc. My dance music attempts are, uh, rather sad: I find myself trying to follow some type of formula (arps, dance beat, bass line, etc). I am just cranking out old ideas (as I am trying to learn more about dance, trance, etc).

I hope that I can combine my background in Prog rock with modern electronic music. Not necessarily Trance, Dance, etc. I think it may reside on the fringe of Ambient. Oh well... I keep plugging away until something happens :-)

Someday, I hope that the Props allow for time signature changes...

Jason Hissong
Some of my music.
Old 2003-04-14, 16:19

:Someday, I hope that the Props allow for time signature changes...

You can do time signature changes - for example, write the first chunk of the song in 4/4 time, put a transition in, set the time signature to 3/4 and carry on. Tempo changes are another story altogether...
Old 2003-04-14, 16:37

:You can do time signature changes - for example, write the first chunk of the song in 4/4 time, put a transition in, set the time signature to 3/4 and carry on. Tempo changes are another story altogether...

Maybe I just missed that in the doco.... that is a great thing!! My life is now complete! This is so cool....

oh wait, tempo changes? Dang! I guess my life is not that complete... yet

Thanks for the tip, I will try that tonight.

jason
Old 2003-04-14, 21:58

Tempo changes tip ......

:I've been using Reason mainly for writing various tracks that I lump under: "Progressive Rock"; "Progressive Industrial" ( PI ) and "Ambient", as well as a few experiments at various forms of 'dance music'. LOL.

Heh. I'm an ol' timer in these regards. My strongest influences are Saga; Genesis; Supertramp; (minorly) Dream Theater; (earlier) Skinny Puppy; (earlier) Ministry; Revolting Cocks; Tangerine Dream; Kraftwerk and finally the Baroque 'period' of 'classical'.

As long as you're not worried about the vertical marker lines for which Bar # you're at, or if you're working in 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16, you've not a trouble at all, using different time signatures, separately, or combined.

Tempo changes wise, is still a little bit more work, but quite workable.

In a tune that I'm working on for my best friend (wife, until this coming October), I started out the new track at a slower speed of 96 BPM, for a slower 'Intro'. I wanted to speed things up after the Intro finished. I found that by changing the tempo of the following material, on an evenly divisable amount of the Intro, I still maintained initial downbeats of Bars, falling onto the vertical lines.

I increased the Tempo of the new section of the tune by 20% of 96 which = 120 BPM. With the length of the 'pause' between the Intro and Main section set properly, I kept co-ordination of things together, with the vertical lines for Bar markers.

On my huge (50 minutes so far) Prog. Rock / Ambient) 'rock opera', I did a couple of gradual Tempo Retardos in the track, where sections ended. By selecting a small section of all instruments at a time, and decreasing the tempo of every thing following it; then selecting a little bit less, following that Retardo'd section, I was able to do some wonderfully sounding decreases in Tempos (Tempii? ) for the tune. Adjusting the sizes of the 'pause' after each of the 2 section 'endings' allowed me to come back to the vertical lines, being in proper positioning, for the Bar markers.

I hope that helps.

Ryk

[url=http://317586.home.icq.com/Reason/Malstrom]708 Malstr
Old 2003-04-14, 16:31

You can also create very intersting polyrhythms with the settings on Matrix and Redrum. If you use them as templates and sequence the rest, you can really co insane (Tempomental a la Steve Vai) with the phrasings!
Using the T(riplet) settings and changing the number of steps in the modules are potentially out there...
My approach is to use what I have.
Till later, enjoy the music.
Old 2003-04-14, 16:39

:You can also create very intersting polyrhythms with the settings on Matrix and Redrum. If you use them as templates and sequence the rest, you can really co insane (Tempomental a la Steve Vai) with the phrasings!
:Using the T(riplet) settings and changing the number of steps in the modules are potentially out there...

That is interesting! Would you be willing to set up a reason song with an example and send it to me? I would like to see how that is done (I am still fairly new to Reason.)

Thanks!

Jason