Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-04-16, 05:51

MIDI controller data from another sequencer (Logic)

Hi.

I'm trying to build a Logic 6 environment which allows me to manipulate various Reason module parameters from within Logic itself. I'm not quite sure if the difficulty I'm having has to do with Reason or with Logic.

I've got MIDI controllers working fine with Reason--I have an EZbus and I've gotten the EZbus' faders to work with Reason quite well. So I know that I have the MIDI remote working properly within Reason.

In Logic, I can cable a fader object to a rewire instrument and have that fader control the major controllers--volume, pitch bend, modulation, etc. I can't get it to control the more esoteric controllers, though. For example, I can't get the fader to control the Maelstrom's Osc A Wave, which according to the Reason MIDI Controller chart should be accessible via controller #21.

So it seems to me that Logic is either not sending controller data for the lesser used controller numbers or that I can't get Reason to respond to the control data from Logic. Any ideas?

Thanks very much.
Old 2003-04-16, 14:31
Gwydi

Re: MIDI controller data from another sequencer (Logic)

The reason for this is that the rewire spec does not appear to allow non-standard controllers to be sent with midi data. I have tried and failed with both Sonar and Cubase.

There is a workaround, however. Install virtual midi ports on your system (on my WinXP box, I use Midi-Yoke), and configure Reason so that its remote control input is one of the virtual midi ports. Then send controller data from Logic to that virtual midi port instead of to reason directly.

This works great for Sonar. Not only can I record "live" controllers from my Bitstream Pro (into Sonar, not Reason), I can use Sonar's envelopes as well where I want finer control.

As you say you're using Logic 6 then obviously you're on a Mac. I can't name any virtual midi ports for Mac, but someone must have written one?

HTH,
G.
Old 2003-04-16, 16:08

Gwydi,

Thanks for the response. It makes sense to me. I seem to recall virtual MIDI ports being a 'feature' of OMS's IAC protocol back in OS 9. There's probably some equivalent in OS X, but I'll have to do some research.

In the worst case scenario, I can make the 'controller' port a non-virtual one, as I've got some spares on my interface.

Do you just leave the controller data sequenced, or do you hit a transmission limit and have to print/bounce audio? I.e., given the complexity of controller data, I'm sure that even a dozen controllers sent on one port, virtual or not, probably clogs up, no?

Thanks again
Old 2003-04-16, 16:12
Gwydi

o you just leave the controller data
:sequenced, or do you hit a transmission
:limit and have to print/bounce audio?

Good question - I have not pushed it that far, so I can't answer it.
Old 2003-04-16, 18:53

Re: MIDI controller data from another sequencer. WHAT?!!

: The reason for this is that the rewire spec does
: not appear to allow non-standard controllers
: to be sent with midi data.

While I have no experience with ReWire, I find it very difficult to believe you can't send every kind of controller data. There must be something wrong. Are you sure you have everything set up correctly? Can anyone else confirm this supposed limitation?

- ell
Old 2003-04-17, 05:30
Gwydi

:I find it very difficult to believe you can't
:send every kind of controller data.

You can't. Sonar doesn't. Cubase doesn't. Muzys doesn't.

:Can anyone else confirm this supposed limitation

Duh - how about the guy who asked the question in the first place?

Old 2003-04-17, 05:53

::Can anyone else confirm this supposed limitation
:
uh - how about the guy who asked the question in the first place?

Well, I asked you, because the guy asking the question was unsure of the situation, but you seemed pretty certain about your claim that "the rewire spec does not appear to allow non-standard controllers to be sent with midi data".

Anyway, I'd still like to hear other experiences about it, or better yet, someone from Propellerhead addressing the issue.

- ell
Old 2003-04-17, 06:06
Gwydi

:Anyway, I'd still like to hear other experiences
:about it, or better yet, someone from
:Propellerhead addressing the issue.

Fair enough I'd like to hear the Props opinion of this also, because it's a seriously annoying limitation!