Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-04-22, 09:55

Project 5- Props can sleep easy

I bought Project 5 last week (After getting a bonus at work and reading too many gushing reviews) and I have to say - Props have nothing to worry about.

First off, Project 5 appears to be more resource hungry than Reason - and this is without any 3rd party tools.

Secondly - it's incredibly unstable with NI DXIs. Using Absynth and Kontakt within it made it crash the entire PC (not just the program) on too many occasions to make it worthwhile using them. Both DXIs work fine (for me anyway) within Sonar.

Third - the effects tools aren't as good as the Reason equivalents IMO, especially delay and reverb.

The only thing that Project 5 has over Reason currently is the Synchron32 step sequencer. If only the Matrix could be like this.

Other than that though, I would advise people to avoid Project 5 - for the existing version anyway.
Old 2003-04-22, 10:04
cindyr

Project 5 is junk

:The minute I seen Project 5 I thought what garbage..Just the GUI allone is ugly..Then I think Cakewalk...owch..This is an insult to even compare Project 5 with Reason..Better to compare it with apps like Orion, FruityLoops etc..This is just no contendor to the high quality app of Reason..Reason is not a toy..where Project 5 is.
Old 2003-04-22, 15:58

Just don't compare it too Orion Platinum... It Rocks. n/t

Old 2003-04-22, 21:52

Re: Just don't compare it too Orion Platinum...

:I really liked the Orion demo. It just "felt" like a good environment to work in, and I liked its sequencer. Orion had an edge over Reason too, in that I tried out Orion first, and the demo had a very nice tutorial included.

There were two main reasons I chose Reason over Orion though.

1) I preferred the way Reason keeps the hardware racks stacked, whereas in Orion the window space got too cluttered, since those windows can float anywhere.

2) I wanted cross-platform software, as I have Windows today, but may add a Powerbook to my setup later. Orion is Win only.

I am happy with my choice to buy Reason.

--Jason
Old 2003-04-22, 16:32

Re: ni dxi's are junk; use vst versions

NI is using an inferior wrapper to present their
synths as dxi: use the vst versions. Vsts is sonar
with fx swapper (now incorporated into p5) are ver stable and have features dxi's lack (some automation options and multiouts)

regards
Old 2003-04-22, 16:34

:NI is using an inferior wrapper to present their
:synths as dxi: use the vst versions. Vsts is sonar
:with fx swapper (now incorporated into p5) are ver stable and have features dxi's lack (some automation options and multiouts)
:
:regards

I tried using the NI VSTs as well - Project 5 still crashes after a short period of time!
Old 2003-04-24, 18:13

Wait a minute, you're saying that P5, a Cakewalk product, loads VST's better than DXi's, a Cakewalk standard?

-foggy
Old 2003-04-22, 17:51
alphalock

Re: Project 5 is junk

You are an idiot with rose colored glasses. Im willing to bet you've never even touched P5.
As far as stability, using any NI product will test any system's resources.
Old 2003-04-22, 17:57

All the NI products I own seem to work fine with Logic... It certainly never crashes on me. Maybe you should check those glasses yourself :P
Old 2003-04-22, 21:21
alphalock

Good for you deep. As we all know how rock solid the stability of logic is.

All the NI products I own seem to work fine with Logic... It certainly never crashes on me. Maybe you should check those glasses yourself :P