Propellerhead Software
Old 2003-04-24, 20:29

Techno Advice Needed!

Does anyone have any tips/advice regarding how to make really crunchy authentic sounding techno drum patterns in Reason 2.0? I have had the software for roughly 2 months now and cannot really come close to certain tracks I own on vinyl. I realize that the songs are not "mastered" and therefore will not sound exactly alike. Is it recommended to utilize the existing RedRum patches for BD/SD/HH parts or create each one separately in one of the synth's?

In addition, are there any tips/tricks for rewiring the synth's to achieve such "dirtier" sounding bass lines?

FYI - Inspiration includes the labels: Drum Code, Code Red, Umek, Primate, Bush, Tresor

Thanks.
Old 2003-04-24, 21:13

Re: Techno Advice Needed!

Compression my friend makes one hell of a difference with drums to make them kick....don't think that the stuff you listern to when it's created comes straight out of the box sounding like it does.
Look around on the net for guides on Compression techniques.......you'll be amazed and what it does....there is a distortion box in Reason 2.0 to experiment with to dirty up sounds on synths...or try a phaser or Chorus/Flanger to mess the sound up...when 2.5 comes out there is the excellent Scream 4 Distruction unit and Unision divices which will also help you out...plus the new EQ on the desk is alot better.......

Cheers
Old 2003-04-24, 21:42

Thanks for the response:

I know that stuff doesn't come of a synth sounding like that right away.... I just don't have many good ideas for arriving at that sound. By distortion box and compression do you mean the Comp Compressor Effect and D-11 Foldback Distortion Effect that comes with the program? If so... do you suggest daisy chaining several effects in a row to amplify the effect. Is there a certain order to chaining them (i.e. - flange before distortion) that leads to better results? Thanks again for the help!
Old 2003-04-25, 01:12

Compression on bass drum, s/d, claps will help beef and push it though.......you can even try just putting the Comp box over the whole kit and experiment with the settings......... bass lines work good with compression as well .........experiment my friend that's the key.......and find as many tutorials on compression for different instruments setting e.t.c as you can.

usually you'll want to have the compression last in the chain of effects if your using thing like phasers or chorus then stick and EQ box at the end of that if the sound it not cutting through...the good thing about Reason is you can have as many effect on what ever instrument you want as long as you P.C./ Mac has the power.

Good luck,
Old 2003-04-24, 21:36

try putting the drum sounds through various effects devices, this is a nice way to get that techno sound without having to make new percussive patches.
as for having "dirty" basslines, on the subtractor, load a bass patch and try setting LFO 1 to the first waveform and oscillate the pitch at a real fast rate, say, 3/4 of the max rate and the amount at about half.
Old 2003-04-24, 22:02
organ015e

if your looking for dirty subtractor soundsi find it works well to get a sound that sounds good and reletivly clean. make a copy of that synth and make it a bit dirtier with distortion and give it a bit more base. this layering has a nice sound because you keep the cleaner parts of the original sound while adding that gritty feel
Old 2003-04-24, 22:02

Greetings from a fellow Detroiter!

:In addition, are there any tips/tricks for rewiring the synth's to achieve such "dirtier" sounding bass lines?
:
:FYI - Inspiration includes the labels: Drum Code, Code Red, Umek, Primate, Bush, Tresor
:
:Thanks.

OK, well not quite from Detroit but a suburb of Detroit counts...kind of. ;-) I've been using Reason for a couple of years now; 2.5 will really blow you away when you hear those new FX. The Scream4 will give you the dirtiest bass lines you've ever heard.

Are you from a hardware school of thought, or have you been using software synths from the start? Just curious what your origins are. I used to use hardware but went 95% soft-synths/samplers a couple of years ago. Never looked back since I found Reason.

Used to hang out at Industry back in the early 90's when the techno was good on Sunday nights. State Theater (Club X) was fun for a while back then, too. had a lot of fun at City Club and the Shelter (pre-Hip Hop Shelter that is). Too many others to name. It's a shame about Motor - I think they had a good thing going before they tried appealing to too many genres.

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2003-04-24, 22:15

Re: Greetings from another fellow Detroiter!

:Used to hang out at Industry back in the early 90's when the techno was good on Sunday nights. State Theater (Club X) was fun for a while back then, too. had a lot of fun at City Club and the Shelter (pre-Hip Hop Shelter that is). Too many others to name. It's a shame about Motor - I think they had a good thing going before they tried appealing to too many genres.
:
...what he said. You'll definitely be wanting to get the 2.5 when it's ready. The Scream will give you all you can eat.
Old 2003-04-24, 23:09

good taste detroitmsu

Good taste detroitmsu. Your influences that is. I suggest checking around and downloading some techno made in reason, look at the racks and see how it was done.

There is a cat named kenada who posts some nice techno over on reasonstation.net. His stuff ranges from minimal to ghettotech to straight techno. Check out some of his stuff. Search around a bit and you'll find some good stuff - done all in reason. Also do a serch on reasonstation for a track called diablo - really well done acid techno.

Good luck!

f**k trance ~ detroit! :~)
Old 2003-04-24, 23:15

woah there...

:f**k trance ~ detroit! :~)

Are you saying f**k trance * AND * Detroit?

Them's fight'n words, ya know...

;-)