Propellerhead Software
Old 2003-04-29, 16:13

Soundcard advice needed

I currently have a Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1 soundcard... however, I cannot seem to get the latency below ~75 m/s for Reason 2.0. I run a PC with Windows Professional XP, 1024 DDDR RAM and AMD 266 Bus 2200 (1.8 GHZ) processor.

I know that my card is basically the best-of-the-middle-of-the-pack and want to upgrade to something more unique to producing. Anybody have any suggestions on where to shop / what to shop for / how much I will expect to spend?
Old 2003-04-29, 16:30

Re: Soundcard advice needed

hi, i would go for the midiman audiophile24/96, i'm using this card it's cheap good value low latency i'm running at 8ms without probs
greetings
Old 2003-04-29, 18:03

Might also want to look into the Echo MIA. I love mine!

Drew
Old 2003-04-29, 19:23

:Might also want to look into the Echo MIA. I love mine!
:
rew
I am also using an Echo Mia card...
It works very well...
Old 2003-04-29, 20:41

No Midi In/Out though......

I just checked a few websites about the Echo Mia and it looks like it just has 4 quarter inch TRS inputs and a set of RCA jacks... is this correct?

what about midi-in / midi-out jacks?

my current sounblaster card has those, which make it easy to connect up to external hardware.

suggestions?
Old 2003-04-29, 22:46

Re: No Midi In/Out though......

Terratec DMX 6fire has front bay like your platinum soundcard, includes MIDI in/out and host if audio (analogue and digital) ins and outs.

Basically, you want anything with ASIO drivers. That'll get your latency way down! I have DMX 6fire, and with latest drivers ive managed to get latency as low as 0.7ms!!!!!! (yes, that's NOT mistyped! 0.7ms!! at 96Khz 24bit)
Old 2003-04-29, 22:29

:I currently have a Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1 soundcard... however, I cannot seem to get the latency below ~75 m/s for Reason 2.0. I run a PC with Windows Professional XP, 1024 DDDR RAM and AMD 266 Bus 2200 (1.8 GHZ) processor.

Do you want multiple channels of clean I/O or just 2? Also do you want MIDI capability?

For Multi-Channel I/O I would recommend seriously looking at RME-Audio products. They make solutions for Desktop and Laptop hosts. These products separate the audio converters from the PCI bus card interfaces so it's basically a two piece affair. The new Hammerfall DSP interfaces now have integrated MIDI on them for people who need it. The next step up from that would be Apogee. Apogee makes the BEST converters around and if you can muster the $$$ I would recommend going that route. Apogee doesnt integrate MIDI so you would need to look into a separate solution for that if you go Apogee.

For a MIDI interface I get great results with the Steinberg Midex-8 (they make a smaller version called the Midex-3). Midi-man (MAudio) also makes some decent interfaces as well.

For the Dual Channel, single audio card solution there is nothing better than LynxStudio. (www.lynxstudio.com) Check out their products. The A/DD/A converters and the audio quality of these cards is in the same league with the above pro multi channel units. Most all Lynx cards have integrated MIDI so no need to look for an external MIDI solution there...
Old 2003-04-30, 02:40
cooker20

:I think the audiophile 2496 is the best bang for buck (I'm planning on getting the usb audiophile for my laptop and desktop), but for the time being you can also lower the latency on your sblive if you install the drivers from www.kxproject.com, but takes a lot of tweaking so I wouldn't suggest it as a permanent solution.

Chaz.

:I currently have a Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1 soundcard... however, I cannot seem to get the latency below ~75 m/s for Reason 2.0. I run a PC with Windows Professional XP, 1024 DDDR RAM and AMD 266 Bus 2200 (1.8 GHZ) processor.
:
:I know that my card is basically the best-of-the-middle-of-the-pack and want to upgrade to something more unique to producing. Anybody have any suggestions on where to shop / what to shop for / how much I will expect to spend?
Old 2003-04-30, 07:36

You might want to check out an Edirol UA-20. Its USB, has direct monitoring, Midi in/out, and ASIO 2.0 drivers. I'm down to the 20ish ms range on it. Its also cheap!