Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-08-13, 05:48

Feature Suggestion: Going Beyond the Rack

(my apologies if all this has been discussed before...)

First off, I want to state that I LOVE the rack. It was one of the things that first drew me to Reason, and I also think that it is one of the things that makes the learning curve so quick for new Reason users. The concept of setting up virtual instruments and virtual effects on a virtual rack was and is pure genius.

However... when I'm working these days, I'm starting to feel as if the rack is no longer my friend. There is simply TOO MUCH on it. By the time I get halfway through a track, I've got this massive tower of stuff, cords going everywhere - and what had once seemed like a useful visual metaphor now seems like an endless jumble of wires. For Reason 3.0, I hope that the Props might put some energy into re-imagining the rack concept.

Basically, what I want is very simple: to be able to make devices that I'm not using at a given moment go away. I want them out of my face so that I don't have to look at them and can focus on just the devices I'm in the process of editing. Perhaps the best way of accomplishing this would be to allow the user to toggle between multiple racks. You could have one rack assigned to the master mix, another that has a sub mix for drums, another with your synths. All that's needed is an elegant way to route between racks. In a sense, this would be a way of extending the rack concept. After all, hardware racks aren't designed to stack infinitely up to the heavens...
Old 2003-08-13, 06:17
audyoghod

Re: Feature Suggestion: Going Beyond the Rack

In order for something like this to even be done, the development team would have to create or edit their code and basically create a whole new rack backdrop that would, essentially, take up the whole prog screen. To have one mixer assigned to one rack would mean a new GUI develop for the rack system, and that's something that won't happen for a while.

If anything, I would like the program to be full-screen finally. The size of the samplers wouldn't even have to change. In fact, this could be for the better (have two NN-19's side by side would save a lot of scrolling up and down). Oh well...

I'm still hoping of a more equipped parametric eq, and hopefully, a DJ set.
Old 2003-08-13, 06:50

I don't see where a massive GUI change would be necessary. You would still only see one rack on the screen at a time. You could toggle through the use of a pull down menu or some other discrete mechanism. I'm not saying that this would be an easy change to make, but any kind of new feature will involve new code.

I just think that - one way or the other - there needs to be a way to make the rack visually managable. When I get my G5, I'm going to be creating tracks with MASSIVE numbers of devices... when I do, I'd like to be able to look at the rack without my brain exploding.
Old 2003-08-13, 07:48
lonelyMC

You're aware that each device can be minimized by clicking the arrow in its left corner, and that the "show cables" option can be disabled?
Old 2003-08-13, 08:15

An alternative to this

The proposition made by Scola is interesting, but I don't think it's essential. I think you can manage your setup exactly that way with the rack as it is right now. You only have to order your devices so you can route them in seperate mixers.

Exemple:

Master Mixer (1)
Master effects (reverb, eq, etc)
+
Lead & arrangement Mixer (2)
Effects in send mode section 1
Lead & arrangements devices
+
Drums and loop Mixer (3)
Effects in send mode section 2
Drums & loops devices
Extra devices section

That way you keep your rack clean and tidy.
The only cables going through all the rack are the mixer stereo output chaining each others.

The only fact that you need to change view for each kind of section you're working on is going to drive us crazy... Keep it simple. And keep in mind that the way the rack works right now, give you enormous amount of possibilities to use devices. Seperating them, would be an error. Keep in mind that a change like that, would not be something that you can flip and change to a classic view like turning the rack around like we can do right now. It would probably be more of a permenant change.

If you ask me, I would prefer that prop concentrate their effort on features like; permeting automated tempo change; a better eq; a better mixer with more send entries; etc...

Just my opinion... ;-)

D
Old 2003-08-13, 09:32

Re: An alternative to this

:These suggestions for keeping a tidy rack are good ones... but honestly, rack tidiness is not the organizational principle I want to keep in the forefront of my mind while I'm trying to create music. I don't want to create a dozen sub-mixes simply for the purpose of making the rack look less cluttered. I want to concentrate on making music. Even under the best of circumstances one of the mass of cables on the back of my rack will always trail off of the screen, I'll need to either scroll down, or hold my cursor over the jack to see where the cable terminates. I'm just saying, there has to be some way to allow users to visually isolate different parts of their rig. I do admit my solution is not perfect, but I am challenging the interface ninjas at propellerheads to come up with a better idea!

For what it's worth, my idea would not prevent people from putting all their devices in one rack if they wanted to. It would simply create the option of creating addional racks and routing between them for those who wanted something a little simpler to stare at.
Old 2003-08-13, 12:37

I don't see why the GUI would need to be changed that much for something like this. I don't think it would be anything too complicated, just something like Logic's 'hide tracks' feature - but for the rack. Certainly not an entire GUI rewrite...

As for the 'DJ set', please - if this ever gets into Reason I'm throwing it out of my window. End of story.
Old 2003-08-14, 02:05

Hide Selected...mmh, nice idea

I don't think it would be anything too complicated, just something like Logic's 'hide tracks' feature - but for the rack. Certainly not an entire GUI rewrite...
:
Old 2003-08-13, 20:14

I would have to say that I agree with the general unwieldliness of Reason once you have more than 6 or 7 rack instruments going. I never could understand why the cables aren't differentiated by stripes & solids or something. Or perhaps having cables that are touched, illuminated along with routing info. I would kill for that. As far as the grouping idea. I use Logic A LOT. Reason could benefit from a lot of things that are common to logic like having the alt and ctrl buttons added to hotkey combos. Reason could utilize the screenshot idea where you could create different rack combos in the same project but have them grouped in different screens. Say all samplers in one screen, your 6 redrums in another, FX in another and so on... I love Reason but I would really like to see this program go PRO ;-)