Propellerhead Software
Old 2003-08-16, 17:12

question: HARDWARE Mystery integration

Hi Everyone!

I know most of you have a great interest in producing killer music and sounds to give yourselves as much amazing variety as you can.
My experiences with reason have been fantastic and I know there is still so much to learn, so it's pretty exciting.

I'm curious for some advice. I feel a lot more comfortable talking about software, because hardware scares me a bit, so i guess this post is to ask a question I've been interested about for a while.

Imagine a hypothetical *Professional* highest end studio, including reason rewired to a mixer s/w package (cubase/nuendo) and some nice monitors.
okay that's pretty good. now, I know there is so much variety in the sounds produced by reason tweaking (infinite probably!), and some of the free refill downloads have introduced me to the 'vintage' synth sounds, which I like.

My question is this Hardware synths. this is a newbioe question, because I don't reall yknow what is out there, but it is more than that, it's also a question for advice on a selection of hardware synths/effects devices (not necessarily requiring a rack). I know there is no perfect setup, it relies on individual's preferences and experiences. My criteria are variety.. (do many synths have the same samples, eg yamaha and korg?) and are there sound on those that you can't get from reason? what are their effects like...? can you feed them through nuendo S/pdif and record them into your track, and is it a good idea?

Buzz words I;ve seen thrown around on the forums:

KORG TRITON (what an awesome looking expensive beauty this is.... can it be integrated with reason..? what advantages/disadvantages does it have? how does it compare to other synths in terms of a BALANCE between intuitive ease of use AND quality? Will one of you guys buy me one to play with?

OTHER SYNTHS... umm JUNO ? that's a nice word.. I have no idea what it is... it sounds like some kind of aquatic mammal

other fx boxes? is three a top 3 for reason users?

I'm asking this especially because as reason users we have the unique advantage of using it's sounds in our arsenals, and therefore, certain synth sounds may be not rquired, and others maybe rare and sought after..

is any other hardware needed to feed these cool sounds into a reson/based final mix (eg thru a rewire-like system?)

well if your still reading this THANKYOU! Any help with this mystery would be cool

box shaped objects scare me...
**hugs pillow

cheers

Tim

Old 2003-08-17, 04:36

Re: question: HARDWARE Mystery integration

Hi

I'm not sure I 100% understand your question, but if I do, it's quite a difficult one.

Hardware synths can be very nice.
You just power it up and you'll have instant ' cool ' sounds. Ad if you have a sequencer ( like cubase, sonar , etc.) you can integrate it with your other (reason-) sounds
Hardware synths are also nice to tweak, just turn some knobs.

But hardware doesn't easily integrates with reason (you have to sample the sounds or use cubase/sonar/etc.)

So, like everything else in life: it's all about personal preferences, just try it out in your local shop

About effects: the same applies.

My top3:
1. Love your music and don't stop learning
2. Love your tools and don't stop learning
3. Love your music an don't stop learning

Sorry, if this isn't the answer you expected, but the more I learn from this: it's about music, and music is being made by a musicians
sometimes reason / ... / .. can help.

so if you really like a rack (synth / fx), buy it
let it inspire you, to make more music, better music.

ok, I've got to stop, I'm getting over the top
cheers
Refills, Rex2, Music, etc.
Old 2003-08-17, 12:35

Re: question: HARDWARE Mystery integration

:Hi.

I used to have a studio with some old analogue synths, samplers and a midi sequencer. I spent hours wrestling with it all, spending most of my wages buying super shielded leads to keep hiss down and dreaming of a digital mixer. If it was cold in the studio, some of the synths used to go out of tune, and all my arrangements were saved on floppy disks - not the most robust format as i found out to my despair many times! (That's not to mention all the other disks my samples were stored on). Then there was all the midi hassle of recording filter sweeps and system exclusive dumps and program changes, crap outboard effects and cheapo mixer problems. Surely making music could be more fun? Then VST came along - yay! Then a few years later, Reason - yaaaaay!!!

I got rid of all my outboard gear when i bought my first G3 and i don't miss it one tiny bit. Don't get me wrong, modern hardware synths are great sounding and i'm sure a lot of people enjoy grabbing knobs and stuff a lot more than clicking their mouse, but for me, having a fully automated digital music program with unlimited patchability and expandability and no signal degradation - on my kitchen table - is still a miraculous thing. I would never spend my money on hardware again i don't think, other than one of those shiny new G5's! Reason does it all with a bit of fiddling and experimentation (apart from recording of course). And what could be more fun than fiddling and experimenting?

Don't worry about Korgs and Junos - In my opinion, all you need to do is get a sequencer that has rewire (for recording vocals and stuff), a half decent soundcard and a half decent microphone. Anyone with a bit of patience and a curious brain can get a great tune out of Reason with a little effort - I used to have to do it the hard way!

Have fun.