Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-08-17, 01:35

MicroPatches - A knobtwiddler's dream or a silly idea?

While we are on the subject of rack mangagment, signal routing and knob-tweaking, i'd like to share a little idea i've had since i've first laid my dirty fingers on Reason 1.0.1.
Reason is indeed a modular beast, you have to sweat a little to get that sound in your head to move the speaker cones the way you want. Tweak thoose knobs and switches and not to mention signal routing (!).
Signal routing is what I like the most with Reason, but often I feel it happens on a level one step or two too high.

Here's my idea come in to play:
Imagine having every section of any device as a dedicated module. Take for instance the Subtractor synthesizer, I would love to have the LFO or a envelope generator as a dedicated module, or to have a single oscillator from the Malstr
Old 2003-08-17, 02:10

Reaktor

The product you might be interested in is Native Instruments Reaktor. It's built for the exact purpose you listed: Sometimes you're not happy tweaking at the "high-level", and you want the low-level components to be more modular.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if someday Reason created a modular synth as one of the synth devices. It keeps with their thinking of keeping Reason as a single-all-inclusive studio, but adds more of what they're known for: A product that's already fairly modular, just not at the synth level.

-Ido
Old 2003-08-17, 02:52

Re: MicroPatches - A knobtwiddler's dream or a silly idea?

Yeah I thought of that too, but since there's already Reaktor 4 which is like the bread and butter of synth design, it looks like a difficult market to get in.

Still I agree that it would be cool thing to have but I don't think it's possible to develop in short amount of time (contrary to macropatches), it's a hell of difficult project (could be overly CPU hungry too).

David.B
Old 2003-08-17, 04:19

yep

but also:

just because the substractor has a lot more features then the seperate modules you talk about
it doesn't mean you can't use a sub as just a 1 osc generator, or a lfo generator

one of the most difficult things I had to learn using reason, was to NOT think of the instruments as seperate units.
the sub is a osc generator AND a lfo generator AND a adsr generator AND ... etc.

nevermind what seems easy at first hand.
you are the composer, use your tools as you like.
think about the sound / groove you want, and start working toward it,
never mind the hard / soft - ware, just practise your skills on the hard / soft - ware you have.

it's too easy to forget:
it's all about the (your) music

cheers
Refills, Rex2, Music, etc.
Old 2003-08-18, 11:42

:yep
:
:but also:
:
:just because the substractor has a lot more features then the seperate modules you talk about
:it doesn't mean you can't use a sub as just a 1 osc generator, or a lfo generator
:
:
ne of the most difficult things I had to learn using reason, was to NOT think of the instruments as seperate units.
:the sub is a osc generator AND a lfo generator AND a adsr generator AND ... etc.

Yes, and the CPU hit is low on some devices until you start turning things on or punching up heavy algorithms and work.

-Oggy
Old 2003-08-18, 11:51

:yep
:
:but also:
:
:just because the substractor has a lot more features then the seperate modules you talk about
:it doesn't mean you can't use a sub as just a 1 osc generator, or a lfo generator
:
:
ne of the most difficult things I had to learn using reason, was to NOT think of the instruments as seperate units.
:the sub is a osc generator AND a lfo generator AND a adsr generator AND ... etc.

Yes, and the CPU hit is low on some devices until you start turning things on or punching up heavy algorithms and work.

-Oggy