Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-09-07, 08:22

Reason Live with multiple projects open

Well I just had a bummer of a day... I'm using Reason live with a kids song band (I've had my years of playing rock and roll, jazz, and progressive rock, so this was a nice detour) - we played at a festival today, on the kids area stage. I was using an ancient Kawai K3 as a controller (not at all the choice I prefer, but it was the best spare keyboard I had available). I have about 5 Reason project files open at once: the primary file has about 9 various devices that I'm playing via different MIDI channels (NN19, NNXT, Subtractor, ReDrum, etc...) - I just change the "send" channel on the Kawai K3 and that controls the different items I have in my Reason rack. The other 4 project files are just "songs" that I hit play and let them go - not exactly songs, but layers of sound effects for different parts of the performance (for example, one file is a layer of 3 x NN19's: one is a patriotic song, the 2nd one is fireworks exploding, and the last is audience applause) - I don't need to trigger any of these 4 other files via MIDI, so I set the "BUS SELECT" to "No MIDI input" - i hit the space bar and the sounds just start coming out as I sequenced them - pretty cool.

Anyway.... here's the problem. My primary rack of units that I'm actually playing via MIDI is the ONLY one set as receiving MIDI, but when I switch over to one of the other projects, sometimes I come back to my primary file and the MIDI has gone completely dead! I can click on BUS SELECT A or B or C or D, go back to A (where I've set my Kawai K3 to be) and it's still dead. Seems like the only way to get it working again is to quit Reason and relaunch Reason fresh - I don't think I've ever had to reboot, just restart the app. This absolutely stinks because restarting Reason is NOT an option. If I have the applause and fireworks playing in the background and I switch back over to my other project file to start playing this fantastic Elvis brass thing for the end of our show, and it DOESN'T WORK, I can't quit Reason and restart it 'cause my fireworks and applause NEEDS to keep going. I experienced this occasionally during our rehearsals, but I thought I had it figured out - kept my prayers going when we went live, but it happened, and it totally sucked.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience doing a similar setup live? I'm trying to narrow down the variables, and I think I have it down to this: if I send *any* MIDI signal from the keyboard while I'm in one of the non-MIDI'd files, going back to the one that IS MIDI'd results in problems - if I don't touch the Kawai K3, I seem to be OK.

I've tried this with my QuadraSynth+ as well, and it does the same thing, so I don't think the active sensing on the Kawai K3 is a factor. I can go to the preferences and reset stuff, but it still doesn't help. I'm using an Apple Powerbook G3 500 with 384 megs of RAM, with 180 megs dedicated to Reason. I'm on OS 9.2.2, and I'm using OMS with a Steinberg MIDI interface. Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated. You can reply here on the forum, or send me email directly at EditEd4TV@Yahoo.com - thanks in advance to all you brilliant Reason pro's out there!
Old 2003-09-07, 08:36

Re: Reason Live with multiple projects open

Forgot to mention I'm using Reason 2.5 (build 312) - that's the latest, right?

:Well I just had a bummer of a day... I'm using Reason live with a kids song band (I've had my years of playing rock and roll, jazz, and progressive rock, so this was a nice detour) - we played at a festival today, on the kids area stage. I was using an ancient Kawai K3 as a controller (not at all the choice I prefer, but it was the best spare keyboard I had available). I have about 5 Reason project files open at once: the primary file has about 9 various devices that I'm playing via different MIDI channels (NN19, NNXT, Subtractor, ReDrum, etc...) - I just change the "send" channel on the Kawai K3 and that controls the different items I have in my Reason rack. The other 4 project files are just "songs" that I hit play and let them go - not exactly songs, but layers of sound effects for different parts of the performance (for example, one file is a layer of 3 x NN19's: one is a patriotic song, the 2nd one is fireworks exploding, and the last is audience applause) - I don't need to trigger any of these 4 other files via MIDI, so I set the "BUS SELECT" to "No MIDI input" - i hit the space bar and the sounds just start coming out as I sequenced them - pretty cool.
:
:Anyway.... here's the problem. My primary rack of units that I'm actually playing via MIDI is the ONLY one set as receiving MIDI, but when I switch over to one of the other projects, sometimes I come back to my primary file and the MIDI has gone completely dead! I can click on BUS SELECT A or B or C or D, go back to A (where I've set my Kawai K3 to be) and it's still dead. Seems like the only way to get it working again is to quit Reason and relaunch Reason fresh - I don't think I've ever had to reboot, just restart the app. This absolutely stinks because restarting Reason is NOT an option. If I have the applause and fireworks playing in the background and I switch back over to my other project file to start playing this fantastic Elvis brass thing for the end of our show, and it DOESN'T WORK, I can't quit Reason and restart it 'cause my fireworks and applause NEEDS to keep going. I experienced this occasionally during our rehearsals, but I thought I had it figured out - kept my prayers going when we went live, but it happened, and it totally sucked.
:
oes anyone have any ideas or experience doing a similar setup live? I'm trying to narrow down the variables, and I think I have it down to this: if I send *any* MIDI signal from the keyboard while I'm in one of the non-MIDI'd files, going back to the one that IS MIDI'd results in problems - if I don't touch the Kawai K3, I seem to be OK.
:
:I've tried this with my QuadraSynth+ as well, and it does the same thing, so I don't think the active sensing on the Kawai K3 is a factor. I can go to the preferences and reset stuff, but it still doesn't help. I'm using an Apple Powerbook G3 500 with 384 megs of RAM, with 180 megs dedicated to Reason. I'm on OS 9.2.2, and I'm using OMS with a Steinberg MIDI interface. Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated. You can reply here on the forum, or send me email directly at EditEd4TV@Yahoo.com - thanks in advance to all you brilliant Reason pro's out there!
Old 2003-09-07, 12:31

I've checked with 2.5 under OS X and the thing that happens to me is the same with the difference that when I stop the song in background everything returns to go as usual (i.e. I can play the instruments and change between them using MIDI channel on my keyboard).

I hardly see a solution here.

cheers

rob
Old 2003-09-07, 16:40

Do you think it might just be too much for the processor or app to handle? Seems as though I did a test a few days back and was able to let the layered effect file keep running, and switch to my live control file, and it worked OK. Glad to hear someone else is experiencing this too. I'm gonna do more tests today and see what happens, and I'll post the results back here for sure. Thanks ClangWork - I appreciate the reply - take care...

:I've checked with 2.5 under OS X and the thing that happens to me is the same with the difference that when I stop the song in background everything returns to go as usual (i.e. I can play the instruments and change between them using MIDI channel on my keyboard).
:
:I hardly see a solution here.
:
:cheers
:
:rob
Old 2003-09-07, 20:16

It's just the way Reason is made.....
I think that when you have a song running MIDI is focused on that.
Just a project choice I think....

I'll give a look at the manual to see if I forgot something, then we could ask directly to props guys ;-)

cheers

rob
Old 2003-09-08, 04:20

Well I just finished up some testing - here's what I found...

Seems that Reason is so busy taking care of timing issues while the sequencer is running that it doesn't focus on MIDI. Well, to be more specific, if you have one project open and it's playing along, switching over to another open project and playing MIDI into that project to control a synth won't work - at least it doesn't for me. If you go back over to the sequenced project, and stop it, then go back to your live control project, it now takes MIDI input just fine. So, looks like Reason if focusing on keeping the tempo accurate on the primary project, over allowing MIDI input on a secondary project.

Some other things I found out along the way. I tried extending my release times for my amplitude envelopes all the way up, so the samples would continue playing after I stopped the sequencer - so I did that, stopped the sequencer, the samples kept playing and trailing out to silence, and I was able to switch over to the other project file and play my brass patch. So it looks like Reason can focus on continuing to play out sampled sounds trailing off into eventual silence, and, at the same time, allowing MIDI input on another project file.

Another idea I had - I copied the NN-19 Brass patch I had in my "live control" project, and pasted that into my "Fireworks, Applause, and Patriotic Music" project. I start the sequence and the layered mayhem ensues, and then I can play my brass part live via MIDI with no problems - Reason is able to focus on timing issues for the sequenced parts, AND, AT THE SAME TIME, allow me to control any particular synth via MIDI, but only within that same project file. So it looks like Reason's primary focus is on maintaining timing correctly, and then possibly MIDI input within that same project file - outside of that file, looks like MIDI input won't happen.

Another thing I discovered too... when my stinkin' powerbook goes to sleep (like, between sets), and it wakes up again, it does a total blank stare at my MIDI interface (simple Steinberg 2x2 thing - I think it's just a MIDIman internally). Usually I would just reboot and be OK, but that's a pain when you're out playing live. So I tried some things out, and I *think* I'm able to make it snap out of it's funk if I disconnect the MIDI interface from the usb cable, and then reconnect it in a few seconds so that the system can see the interface again, as though it were seeing it for the first time - I guess it's re-recognizing what it considers a new USB device being connected, even though it's the same thing it just froze over.

So that's the scoop - hope this is valuable information to others out there. Anybody know if I'm a bit off here? Maybe close to the accurate truth, but just a bit askew? Any information would be helpful - thanks!

:It's just the way Reason is made.....
:I think that when you have a song running MIDI is focused on that.
:Just a project choice I think....
:
:I'll give a look at the manual to see if I forgot something, then we could ask directly to props guys ;-)
:
:cheers
:
:rob
Old 2003-09-08, 09:24

: Another thing I discovered too... when my stinkin' powerbook goes to sleep (like, between sets), and it wakes up again, it does a total blank stare at my MIDI interface (simple Steinberg 2x2 thing - I think it's just a MIDIman internally). Usually I would just reboot and be OK, but that's a pain when you're out playing live. So I tried some things out, and I *think* I'm able to make it snap out of it's funk if I disconnect the MIDI interface from the usb cable, and then reconnect it in a few seconds so that the system can see the interface again, as though it were seeing it for the first time - I guess it's re-recognizing what it considers a new USB device being connected, even though it's the same thing it just froze over.
---

Ok, if it is a rebranded MIDIman, it's possible that Steinberg has not kept up with MIDIman driver updates that might solve this. But also, I recall a similar problem (have a MIDIman 4x4). I haven't used OS 9 in a long, long time though. A workaround to avoid this is just turn off your energy saving -- set preference to 'never sleep'. But this will sap your battery, so use a power adapter when you're doing this. Yeah...I know, it's a laptop, and you probably don't want to be tethered... Did you try OSX (specifically Jaguar 10.2.6)?

Good Luck, ell
Old 2012-09-10, 17:21

Hello there!

I can see its been sometime since your post, but since there's no other answer .. here I am.

Well, I use reason live but I do have only one project open, so I would like to suggest one solution to your current setup and an alternative.

Solution: I believe you should a different software to handle your midi signals and send them to reason such as easymidi or something. That way all your midi signals are being managed by an other app and you don't have problems when switching between projects in reason.

Alternative: Why don't you use blocks? You can have all kinds of different setups in separated blocks in the same project. You can have different tempos (using automations), different backing tracks etc.

I hope this helped,
take care,
Ted
http://www.tedreglis.com
Old 2012-09-10, 17:23

Could always try not responding to a thread from 2003 (yes, almost 9 years ago)!
Old 2012-09-11, 04:32

I'm sure EditED4TV graciously waited 9 years for this answer lol.