Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-10-18, 04:41

Gah! drum rex, drum rex, drum rex, drum....(waving hands)

Gah! Am I the only one?

I went to check out the Prop's tons of refills and saw the number of new Sonic refills out and most of them are drum loops (rex).

Is it me, or are many refill makers missing the point? I want to make a creation from sounds, not loops. Sure a rex file here and there in my music doesn't hurt, but you'd think rex files were the be all of the end all in music creation the way they pump these things out.

I figure the bulk of refill makers put out almost 8 drum rex refills per every 1 refill of sample sounds.

When I create my music I go for samples, in particular, unique synth, drum or effect samples. I couldn't care less for all this rigid loop building.

So what's up with all these rex refills? Do you all play loopity, loopity with your tunes or just wait for the next sample refill kit to come out like me?

Cheers!
Old 2003-10-18, 05:12

Re: Gah! drum rex, drum rex, drum rex, drum....(waving hand

You're right, the loops get annoying after a while. I have a loop now or then for the brief percussive interlude from chorus back to verse, something like that. But I RARELY (if ever) build a song up exclusively with loops.

I think the reason you find so many rex loops is because these guys can pull an LP or cassette out of their parents garage, pull a drum loop off some vague unknown vinyl, and slice it up in ReCycle, and sell it to you. Don't get me wrong, I think some rex stuff is awesome, but i'd love to see a better ratio of other stuff, more single shot samples so that *I* can make the beat *I* want.

:Gah! Am I the only one?
:
:I went to check out the Prop's tons of refills and saw the number of new Sonic refills out and most of them are drum loops (rex).
:
:Is it me, or are many refill makers missing the point? I want to make a creation from sounds, not loops. Sure a rex file here and there in my music doesn't hurt, but you'd think rex files were the be all of the end all in music creation the way they pump these things out.
:
:I figure the bulk of refill makers put out almost 8 drum rex refills per every 1 refill of sample sounds.
:
:When I create my music I go for samples, in particular, unique synth, drum or effect samples. I couldn't care less for all this rigid loop building.
:
:So what's up with all these rex refills? Do you all play loopity, loopity with your tunes or just wait for the next sample refill kit to come out like me?
:
:Cheers!
Old 2003-10-18, 22:43
lonelyMC

Rex loops are MADE of single shot samples

more single shot samples so that *I* can make the beat *I* want.
:

Each slice of a rex file can be opened individually in drum machines and samplers.

Try approaching a drum loop in Dr. Rex as kind of a drum kit; its got kicks, snares, hats, and combinations of these sounds. There is no reason you HAVE to leave the slices in their original order - draw them into the sequncer just like a redrum.
Old 2003-10-19, 07:17

Re: Rex loops are MADE of single shot samples

Oh I know that - for sure. But when building a redrum (or nnxt) kit from scratch, it's easier to go into some sort of "single hits" folder, and see a list of folders, including "kicks", "snares", "toms" - etc... and then go where I want, preview the indi sounds, and pick the one I want. Rarely, in fact I think *never* have I heard any kind of sound within a Rex Loop that I'd want to use outside of the loop - I mean, there are great sounds, and for a variation of that loop, sure, I do that all the time, but as a stand alone, sort of like a "wow, that's an AMAZING snare, I need that elsewhere"... hasn't happened yet. Partially due to the fact that most of the time a single hit within a Rex loop is a bit muddied up by a hihat within the mix, and reverberation tail ends messing with the purity of the sound, etc...

:
: more single shot samples so that *I* can make the beat *I* want.
::
:
:Each slice of a rex file can be opened individually in drum machines and samplers.
:
:Try approaching a drum loop in Dr. Rex as kind of a drum kit; its got kicks, snares, hats, and combinations of these sounds. There is no reason you HAVE to leave the slices in their original order - draw them into the sequncer just like a redrum.
Old 2003-10-18, 08:42

OK this is a little sad you guys. They are F-R-E-E files...

No one is stopping you from making your own. Or ratcheting open your dusty wallet and paying for some. I don't remember anyone promising free refills indefinitely with Reason. ;-)

Besides drum loops fill in a critical missing element in almost every studio of any size. You can record almost everything else easily at this point but getting a good sounding full drum kit even in a half way decent studio is a bitch.

And Ed? Man you can so play the sounds in the rex files and or reorganize them anyway YOU want them. No ones stopping you there.

- DJDM
DJ Drunken Master's all Reason Based music +
Old 2003-10-18, 13:22

Amen to that

I like my single shot samples, but I love REX files as well, simply because they're such flexible loops. Sure, you can just bung 'em in your track to give it some extra punch (something I do quite a lot), or you can go nuts and have really crazy drums to your liking. Even when I used to use drumloop samples I'd mess with them a bit beforehand or mutilate them in-song (and sometimes I wouldn't).

I'd be pissed if I paid for a sample cd that was full of only REX files (yes, single-shot samples to be are more useful), but I haven't. So I'm not.
-Ad
Old 2003-10-18, 16:23

snip, snip, cut, cut.

Interesting. Looks like rex lovers out number sample lovers 2:1.

Sorry, yes I read the dr. rex article long ago, I understand your points guys and no not all rex files are pointless (free or commercial). It's just that even most of you guys seem eager to break out of the loop and pull out the samples too.

So....I guess what I'm really saying is I really wonder if we all couldn't be better served with a better balance from commercial refill makers.

Cheers!

Old 2003-10-18, 17:31

Point noted

:So....I guess what I'm really saying is I really wonder if we all couldn't be better served with a better balance from commercial refill makers.
:

I like REX files, no doubt about it. But I also like other formats as well, so i guess you're right - I like a variety of stuff, so I'd buy a sample cd with lots of different stuff on it instead of going for REX cds.
-Ad
Old 2010-10-26, 00:30

I tend to use rex files more for their constituent parts than for the entire loop anyway.

Kong - slice trig / chuck trig
Redrum - seperate hits
NNXT - easy enough to load seperate slices, edit loops points, EG's, filters, lfo's, assign to seperate outs, process etc etc etc
Octorex - slice edit mode - slice output assign, decay, pan, alt triggers etc etc.

It really depends on if you view a rex file as an entity in itself or as being sample that has multiple components that can be used as you see fit.
It's easy enough to chromatically scale seperate slices for pitched runs/fills etc in an NNXT, isolate an 808 kic kdrum and turn it into a bass sound and so on and so forth or pull out a single guitar pluck and create something new from that etc etc etc.
Also great for pulling out seperate components from very different loops for Akufen style microhouse clicks and cuts etc also.
Seems a bit contradictory to say you want samples when a rex file contains loads separate samples you can manipulate in whatever way you see fit really.
Add what Neptune can do to separate slices in a rex file as well and it gets pretty creative after a while IMHO.
Just depends on how you view the material at hand - I tend to look at them as loops, loops to be mangled, slices to be triggered, chunks to be manipulated or as single oscillators (digital oscillators if you will) and approach using the NNXT as another Synth in Reason on this little slices of sound.
It's easy enough to pull the kick from one file, the snare from another, hats from another and so on and so forth and build totally unrelated custom Redrum Kits too working this way for an infinate set of kits made up from a varied number of sources.
I will often get a horn, trumpet or sax riff, pull out a single hit, pitch it using neptune, resample it, load it into the NNXT, edit the loop points and create an instrument that way too (just as an example).
Depends on how much work you're willing to put in.
A rex file is not just the sum total of it's parts but rather a never ending source of single sample oscillators IMHO - and with the sample editor your can create a swag of digi-cyclic waveforms from a plethora of provided rex slices for all sorts of misappropriation.
Add to that direct import of rex files as audio loops in Record that can be razored, stretched, processed, resampled and then manipulated again also and you can use them as the basis for pitch based, atonal and all other sorts of instrument beds but I digress.
Old 2003-10-18, 18:24

Re: OK this is a little sad you guys. They are F-R-E-E files

Oh I know dude - no biggie. But just as it comes, a lot of refills are loaded with rex drum loops. The "inconvenience" of taking the individual slices and putting them into a ReDrum for "convenience" is sometimes a little cumbersome for me to deal with. I mostly rely on the indi sounds already available to me instead of picking apart a loop.

:No one is stopping you from making your own. Or ratcheting open your dusty wallet and paying for some. I don't remember anyone promising free refills indefinitely with Reason. ;-)
:
:Besides drum loops fill in a critical missing element in almost every studio of any size. You can record almost everything else easily at this point but getting a good sounding full drum kit even in a half way decent studio is a bitch.
:
:And Ed? Man you can so play the sounds in the rex files and or reorganize them anyway YOU want them. No ones stopping you there.
:
:- DJDM