Propellerhead Software
Old 2003-10-21, 16:48

Hard Disk Splitting

Hi,
I am currently storing everything on one hard drive. From Word Documents, to video, to music. I have been told that it is highly recommended to have a seperate Hard Drive for all audio, as then it will not be damaged. However before i can afford to buy a seperate hard drive is there any way to split my Hard Drive in two and use half of it for Audio Recordings and the other half for other file storage? I am on Mac OS X. I spoke to a mate about it and he had done it on his PC but didn't know how on Mac. So if anyone knows about this then please let me know..
Thanx
Chris
Old 2003-10-21, 17:41

Re: Hard Disk Splitting

Yes, you can partition your drive, and though I don't know OSX as well as I know OS9.2.2 and down, I don't think it's possible to split your drive once it already has data on it - you need to partition prior to putting anything on it. The advantages of a partitioned system is that if your system partition goes dead, your data partition can still be accessible. BUT, being on ONE drive, you're still going to run into problems:

1) your OS is on one parition, your data on another, so if your computer has to do management issues and data retrieval/storage at the same time, your drive is going to do this back and forth thing that will slow the whole thing down. Especially for video recording/acquisition and audio recording.

2) if you have a hard drive problem that is *physical*, as opposed to a software glitch, you're just as likely to lose everything as if it were not partitioned.

3) if you allocate too much space to one side or the other, you're gonna use that unused space for what you didn't intend to use it for anyway.

It is true that you're better off having two drives. But you can still have your system drive be partitioned. Lots of things have changed in OSX, but my primary drive is partitioned into 3 drives: one is my normal default drive, the 2nd is my video system partition, and the 3rd is my music system partition. Each partition has OS 9.2.2 on it. I tried fiddling with the extension manager sets, and it just wasn't what I wanted. Now, if I want to work on video, I just select my video partition as the boot drive, and it boots up with ONLY the extensions I need, plus an appropriate background image that identifies it to me as my video system. When I work on music, I boot up off the other partition, and all my music stuff loads up, and the system isn't bogged down by extensions I don't need, plug ins wasting time and space, printer drivers I don't need, etc... Plus, it just FEELS like I'm on a whole new computer depending on which partition I boot from. You have more power on OSX, but even then, when I move over to OSX, I'm probably gonna partition my drive exactly the same - the whole "USER" and "OWNER" and "ADMIN" thing just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

And I keep my data files all on another external drive. Well, I do have 2 x 120 gig HD's internal for video storage and editing. But project files live on the external 80. The beauty of that is... if your system drive(s) ever take a major dump and are completely gone forever dead, your external remains healthy. Just get a new system drive in place, install your apps, and all your stuff is back to normal. Well, prefs need to be setup again, but for the most part, you're back to normal. I *NEVER* save my files along with the app - that's just bad news waiting to happen.

In closing, here's a fun story... at a job I used to work at, I was allowed to bring in my drive. I'd keep *EVERYTHING* on there. I knew that I'd be leaving some day, perhaps even spur of the moment "I QUIT!" fashion. Which I did. And I walked with my drive, right out the door, and that was that. A coworker said my manager went into my office for the next 3 days trying to find ANYTHING he could on my system... NOT A THING. NOTHING. I walked with all my email, my calendar, my word docs, my spreadsheets, EVERYTHING. Of course, anything to do with work lived on the server, but all my personal stuff was on my drive, and the personal stuff is what he was after, and he didn't get a drop. Victory!

:Hi,
:I am currently storing everything on one hard drive. From Word Documents, to video, to music. I have been told that it is highly recommended to have a seperate Hard Drive for all audio, as then it will not be damaged. However before i can afford to buy a seperate hard drive is there any way to split my Hard Drive in two and use half of it for Audio Recordings and the other half for other file storage? I am on Mac OS X. I spoke to a mate about it and he had done it on his PC but didn't know how on Mac. So if anyone knows about this then please let me know..
:Thanx
:Chris
Old 2003-10-21, 17:58

Thanks alot but how is it done?

Thanks for all the great advice... Looks like i definatley need to partition mine or either buy a new external hard drive. Anyway i haven't a clue how to partition my HD. Would you be able to run me through what i'm supposed to do..
Thanks..
Chris
Old 2003-10-21, 21:27

Re: Thanks alot but how is it done?

Well, in the OS9 world, it was a program called Drive Setup. You could fry a whole drive with Drive Setup. there are other utilities out there, but Drive Setup is by Apple themselves. You can low level format and zero all data if you want too.

Let's see, for what you wanna do, it's gonna be tough because you can't touch your startup HD, and if that's the only drive you got, you're out of luck. You're gonna need to backup your entire drive, all your data. Then bootup off of your restore CD, and burn out the whole drive. If I recall correctly, part of the OSX installation process, when booting off of the OSX installation CD's, is to partition the drive prior to installing the OS. So, use the OSX install CD's to erase your drive, partition it however you like, then install OSX on the first partition. Then you'll have to take the backup you made and start putting all that stuff back where it belongs. Some things won't copy correctly (mostly appplications), and will need to be officially installed again, but all your personal files should be OK, as long as there's an app to open them with.

EnochLight mentioned that if your drive fails, all of your partitions will fail. I don't know the PC much at all enough to verify that, but I do know that on the Mac, if your "system partition" fails, your other partitions are still OK. In fact, you can remove that failed drive with all the partitions on it, put it in another mac, and boot up off of THAT mac's system drive, and you should be able to see all your partitions, and POSSIBLY your failes system partition. For that matter, you can just leave your failed drive in your computer, and boot up off a CD with a valid system on it, and once you arrive at the desktop, you should see your failed drive. This is all IF the failure was due to a software glitch, bad header blocks, etc... all those things that seem confusing but can hopefully be saved. The only time your WHOLE drive will be lost is if something PHYSICAL happens to a drive, and I hardly ever see that, and I worked at Apple for many years and touched hundreds of computers every day and I think I only saw that twice. You get an 80gig HD that craps out, and you do everything you can to save it and nothing seems to work, software-wise. Then you look at the drive and write down the make and model and everything important, find an EXACT duplicate of that drive (mind you, we had hundreds of drives to choose from in the lab I managed, so doing this in the real world is much harder) and swap the controller cards on them - this would be the circuit board laying flush against one side of the hard drive. For the severely dead drives, this was the answer - it wasn't software related - it was actually a physical hardware problem. But this is RARE - most cases, something got funked up software-wise, and it only affects the system partition.

But I don't know OSX as well as I'd like to, and it is possible that it's a whole other beast - if anyone can elaborate on the OSX specific side of this, I would (well I guess christopher would) appreciate it.

Christopher - if you email me offline (EditEd4TV@Yahoo.com) I can send you a list of drives I've been looking at for more video editing. I got about three I'm trying to get my boss to purchase - well, just ONE of the three. Decent prices - around $95 to $120 for a 120gig - Maxtor, Maxtor, and IBM. The IBM is the $95 one. I thought maybe they were crap, but I opened up my Mac and two of the 120's I have in there are that same model (The IBM DeskStar I think, something like that?) and they work just fine, great, no problems. I'm not at home and don't have the info in front of me, but I can help you out later. Just e me... see ya...

:Thanks for all the great advice... Looks like i definatley need to partition mine or either buy a new external hard drive. Anyway i haven't a clue how to partition my HD. Would you be able to run me through what i'm supposed to do..
:Thanks..
Old 2003-10-22, 10:01

:EnochLight mentioned that if your drive fails, all of your partitions will fail. I don't know the PC much at all enough to verify that, but I do know that on the Mac, if your "system partition" fails, your other partitions are still OK.

That's true. However, if your harddisk _really_ happens to fail - which means: if it gets a mechanical, electrical or electronical damage (just to mention head crash, motor damage etc.) - you'll actually lose all of your data.

BTW., Backups have always been a good solution... We've got toys like CD and DVD burners today, so should you not own one yet, go out and buy one :-)

best regards, & keep you valuable data save,
aljen
Old 2003-10-22, 00:14

:Three drives I was looking at:

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 120 gig @ $107.00 (free shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...r=pr1c3grabb3r

Maxtor Ultra Series 120gig @ $122.00 (free shipping)

IBM Deskstar 120 gig @ $95.00 (free shipping)

:Thanks for all the great advice... Looks like i definatley need to partition mine or either buy a new external hard drive. Anyway i haven't a clue how to partition my HD. Would you be able to run me through what i'm supposed to do..
:Thanks..
Old 2003-10-21, 18:17

Partitioning, etc.

Chris,

If you have only one hard drive and plan to partition it to seperate information, you will not acheive the goal of saving data in the event of a harddrive failure, as both partitions would reside on the same hard drive. If you are attempting to improve performance, you might better acheive this by a disc optimizing utility (such as Norton Speed Disc) or just plain defragging your drive. As a PC user, I've been told that Windows XP actually optimizes data better than these types of utilities; however, I'm not sure about Macs.

Many would argue that partitioning drives improves performance, and many would argue that it affects performance negatively. With today's larger hard drives, many people feel obligated to partition their hard drives into smaller sections. Is it needed? I suppose it depends on how you use your drives and how much data you have.

Me? I have a LOT of data. I own 3 hard drives - two 80 Gigs and one 160 Gig - and I do not partition them off into smaller sections at all. One of my 80 Gigs has my OS and ''My Documents'', as well as all programs. I have contimplated moving the ''My Documents'' folder to another drive. The other 80 Gig has my audio and video information and serves as a secondary scratch disc for some DAW apps. The other 160 Gig is primarly for Ghost backups of the other two and is removed after occasional backup operations through a removable drive tray in one of my 5 & 1/4 '' bays.

What is your system specs? How large is your hard drive?