Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-11-01, 11:22

Where you start when writing a new song?

When you guys are writing a new tune do you start writing from the beginning/intro and work towards the end? Do you start in the middle and expand outward? Do you come up with some melodies first then work around that?

Just curious. I'm writing some trance which is all 4/4 but trying new and different approaches.

Thanks,
-m
Old 2003-11-01, 11:40

Re: Where you start when writing a new song?

:When you guys are writing a new tune do you start writing from the beginning/intro and work towards the end? Do you start in the middle and expand outward? Do you come up with some melodies first then work around that?
:
:Just curious. I'm writing some trance which is all 4/4 but trying new and different approaches.
:
:Thanks,
:-m
:

hello there

i'm quite new to reason and struggle how to get my thing which is in my head to tunes. anyway, when i have a melody, or that can be just a sound i heard somewhere or something i just picked up (wierd things sometimes), i try to get it out of reason the exact way i have in my head. and at that point i dont know if its the start/midle/end of a song. i just continue and create and try to put the tunes/sounds/noise or whatever, together. so in fact i dont have a plan or a structure i follow, it just happens.

cheers
Old 2003-11-01, 18:38

Any way you want but this is how I do it...

You can check my methods at the link below...
- DJDM
Scroll to "How do you write a track?"
Old 2003-11-02, 09:14

interesting read

its always cool to see whether or not people use similar methods to the way i do things. its cool when u open up a really good rns/rps and they have a certain effect set up exactly like you do
Old 2003-11-01, 21:22

The way I usually do it is that I write the central part of the song, come up with a decent lead or something resembling a lead and write around that. I usually start with the drums and the bass to give the song a sense of rhythm early on, but it's different every time. I don't really follow a strict formula, it just sort of happens... it's just it happens like that more often than not :P
-Ad
Old 2003-11-03, 16:58
Tigrito

Well, of course it depends, but sometimes i start trying to find a good combination of chords in my keyboard. Then i go to my secuencer & finally "translate" it into Reason.
It happens too that it's 2am, i'm already in bed & a melodie comes to my head making me wake up, turn comp on & record it as quick as i can! heh!
Basically i start from the middle, then i make an introduction & then the end!
Good luck!
Old 2003-11-03, 21:00

I've got my "Default Song" set up with a basic 4/4 Redrum beat with a kick, clap and high hat. That way I can just quickly record idea's in without having to stop and have to set anything more up.

Having said that, I usually start with a baseline or chord progression. Occasionally, I've even just played around with the Redrum and come up with some cool tribal sounding drum rhythm which has in turn influenced a baseline. Whatever it is I original start out with usually ends up being part of the chorus. Sometimes I'll just sit and plunk away at the keyboard until I come up with something I like the sound of, other times I'll be working on a song and while trying to come up with various parts for it I'll hit on something that won't work there, but is the start of a new song entirely (that's when I open my Default Song and record that new idea into there).

From there, I start just playing around with variations. Things eventually just start sounding right together and I'm able to sort out what should be the "verse", "chorus" "bridge", etc. Like others have said, it's pretty organic. I just play around and let the song become whatever it wants.

The only weird thing is that I can't "play" the vocal melodies. I usually screw it up when I try! Vocal melodies always just come into my head as part of the evolution of the song, and they usually just sit with me until I eventually write lyrics and sing the scratch vocals into my multi-track. It's like my brain handles one more sequencer track for me - the track that has the vocal melody!