Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-11-09, 14:59

OT: More Matrix silliness.

Okay, this is actually pretty silly but here it goes. I was watching the freeway chase scene from Matrix Reloaded and I noticed something odd. Pay close attention to the scene where Morpheus plunges his sword into the side of the truck. When he does so, he plunges it with an arms length reach. Yet, in the next scene the sword is an entire body length from the top of the truck. It reminds me of the Nick at Nite closer look series....lol.

What does it prove? That I just might be a geek with too much time on my hands... :P
Old 2003-11-09, 15:55

Re: OT: More Matrix silliness.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the sword then returns back to arms length once Morpheus is fighting the Agent. So there we have it. Arms length... Body length... Arms length. I wonder why they chose to film it that way.
Old 2003-11-09, 19:01

Re: OT: More Matrix silliness.

:Oh, I forgot to mention that the sword then returns back to arms length once Morpheus is fighting the Agent. So there we have it. Arms length... Body length... Arms length. I wonder why they chose to film it that way.

LOL - sounds like Morpheus pulled an 'Inspector Gadget' on that truck. I was more confused because that scene made it appear as though him slashing the side of the truck forced it to topple over, allowing him to shoot the underside of the fuel tank and explode the truck (and those pesky ghost-twins). I think it would have added some dazzle had his sword slicing through the truck's side carriage sliced the ghost-twin that was driving through his abdomen. Although, I think that's the Paul Verhoeven side of me coming out. ;-)

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2003-11-09, 19:07

Maybe Morpheus' sword... morphed? [n/t, gd&r]

Old 2003-11-09, 19:16

Enochlight, are we on the same page/scene?

The scene I refer to is the one where Morpheus is standing on top of the semi truck, and he uses his sword to stand on in order to catch the keymaker.
Old 2003-11-09, 19:30

Re: Enochlight, are we on the same page/scene?

:The scene I refer to is the one where Morpheus is standing on top of the semi truck, and he uses his sword to stand on in order to catch the keymaker.

Woops - thought there was something fishy about that. Yeah, I was on the scene where he takes out the twin's truck. D'oh! ;-)

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2003-11-09, 19:03

Yeah, film goofs are fun to spot sometimes...

...but I say if you didn't notice it yourself on multiple viewings, and you need to read it about it and freeze-frame to verify it, it's not really a goof, and probably not something that the filmmakers haven't noticed themselves.

My favorite is the "stormtrooper head-bump" in Star Wars IV: A New Hope. Threepio and Artoo are in some control room trying to switch off that damn garbage compactor, and a bunch of stormtroopers barge in and one of them knocks his helmet against the door (which opens vertically).

The only kind of goof that really bugs me (and I'm not talking SFX heavy movies here, this will happen in plain "people" dramas) is when the camera cuts to a different angle and it's blatantly obvious that it's a new take because people on screen have changed posture, position or facial expression in a split-second. Takes a few minutes to re-establish the suspension of my disbelief after that.

/Fred
Old 2003-11-09, 19:24

Frank Zappa's 'Cheepnis'

In the intro to the song "Cheepnis," which may be found on the "Roxy and Elsewhere" album, the incomparable Frank Zappa describes watching a cheap horror movie featuring a huge spider. It wanted to conquer the world. (Hey, what ELSE would a movie monster want to do?)

Rather than repeat it here, I'll refer you to a website that lists his intro in great detail.

Meffy
Right. And this is cheepnis here: One two three four...
Old 2003-11-09, 21:41

Re: quadruple takes...

: The only kind of goof that really bugs me
: (and I'm not talking SFX heavy movies here,
: this will happen in plain "people" dramas)
: is when the camera cuts to a different angle
: and it's blatantly obvious that it's a new take
: because people on screen have changed posture,
: position or facial expression in a split-second.

Yeah. Also, how bout this (variation of yours)... Sometimes there's some big explosion, or crash, or guy falling out a window, some special shot, cause it costs so much, or looks so cool, or can only be shot once. The director falls in love with the big "impact" fx, and is shooting it from multiple angles. But later, when he goes to edit, can't resist putting *all* the versions in. So there's sort of little time hiccups. You see the event from below, wow!, then above! wow!, then from the side! wow!, then the next few seconds of action! wow! the same action from another angle! wow! It's supposed to be impressive, but it's really disjointed.

- ell
Old 2003-11-09, 21:57

Re: quadruple takes...

Yep yep, sometimes these recycled events are completely disjointed. You'll see some big fight scene and some guy gets shot, minutes of stuff inbetween, then he gets shot again.

What I don't get is why they let stuff like that slide, considering the amount of work and resources put in elsewhere. Like, in Return of the Jedi, they spent SIX MONTHS in the desert building Jabba's sail barge, which is seen on screen for minutes only. But when some guy falls down the Sarlacc pit - same sequence - and loses his alien rubber mask halfway through the fall, revealing a bearded stuntman, they don't mind. OK, evaluating daily takes in 1982 was damn hard, but this scene could have been redone in a pick-up shot with relatively little effort. Later, they cut to R2 and C3PO being lifted out of a sand dune - obviously a pile of sand in a studio and a *terrible* painting of a sky behind them. They pour millions in tiny holes and dimes into gaping holes. How odd.

/Fred