Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-11-09, 22:33
VariantX

CPU Maxing Out in Reason out With New Soundcard

Using Reason 2.5. Just bought a new soundcard, the Audigy 2 ZS. My choices for audiocard driver in Preferences are:

ASIO SB Audigy 2 ZS 24/96
ASIO SB Audigy 2 ZS
ASIO Creative ASIO

I'm using the first one, the 24/96 one because I'm assuming its the best one and I notice everything sounds better using this one. Well now the CPU is being used WAY more than before when I had my old soundcard in, the Audigy 1. I'm working on a track now and its nearly in the yellow. I'm afraid by the time I'm done with the song, it will be in the red and shutdown.

My system is a Athlon XP 2400+, 512MB Ram. Is the CPU being used that much more since I'm using a new soundcard that is of a higher quality than my last one? I guess I'm just a little surprised my new soundcard uses up the CPU that much because my last card only ever used 3 green bars at max. I notice if I switch to like the plain Creative ASIO driver, the CPU goes back down but at a noticable sacrifice in the quality of the sound. Any ideas?
Old 2003-11-09, 22:56

Re: CPU Maxing Out in Reason out With New Soundcard

Try changing some of your buffer settings, and check some of your other prefrences as well, if that still doesn't help I would call or email the tech line for your soundcard a lot of times they will know a few tricks.
Old 2003-11-10, 02:49

Try the ASIO driver; that will get you low latency (n/t)

:Using Reason 2.5. Just bought a new soundcard, the Audigy 2 ZS. My choices for audiocard driver in Preferences are:
:
:ASIO SB Audigy 2 ZS 24/96
:ASIO SB Audigy 2 ZS
:ASIO Creative ASIO
:
:I'm using the first one, the 24/96 one because I'm assuming its the best one and I notice everything sounds better using this one. Well now the CPU is being used WAY more than before when I had my old soundcard in, the Audigy 1. I'm working on a track now and its nearly in the yellow. I'm afraid by the time I'm done with the song, it will be in the red and shutdown.
:
:My system is a Athlon XP 2400+, 512MB Ram. Is the CPU being used that much more since I'm using a new soundcard that is of a higher quality than my last one? I guess I'm just a little surprised my new soundcard uses up the CPU that much because my last card only ever used 3 green bars at max. I notice if I switch to like the plain Creative ASIO driver, the CPU goes back down but at a noticable sacrifice in the quality of the sound. Any ideas?
Old 2003-11-10, 09:57

Re: Try the ASIO driver; that will get you low latency (n/t)

ASIO SB Audigy 2 ZS 24/96
ASIO SB Audigy 2 ZS
ASIO Creative ASIO

If you chose the first driver, i think you are not using ASIO drivers so that could explain why your CPU is pushed to the limits.

The reason why your ASIO driver gives lesser quality (but also normal CPU consumption) is because it's 16bit, 48khz. I think it should be possible to configure your ASIO to 24 bit 96khz or something like that. But i'm not sure, since i don't exactly know what Audigy 2 boards have ASIO2 drivers.

I hope this helps you a bit.
Old 2003-11-10, 15:20

Re: Try the ASIO driver; that will get you low latency (n/t)

:The reason why your ASIO driver gives lesser quality (but also normal CPU consumption) is because it's 16bit, 48khz. I think it should be possible to configure your ASIO to 24 bit 96khz or something like that. But i'm not sure, since i don't exactly know what Audigy 2 boards have ASIO2 drivers.
:
:I hope this helps you a bit.

I think Creative's ASIO support is locked at 16bit 48khz. :-(

Cheers,

EnochLight