Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-12-01, 16:39

Multiple song windows and sticky MIDI focus

Hi all,

Just did my first-ever live performance using Reason 2.5 on a PB G4, a hybrid of prerecorded Reason tracks with live MIDI synth performance.

In order to speed up song transitions, we preloaded all of our set and then switched song windows as necessary. We didn't experience any bugs in rehearsal beyond the odd "stuck MIDI note" - if someone was playing MIDI in while I was opening other songs, when the "new" song window opened, a note would occasionally get stuck from the previous song window. We didn't consider this a killer bug.

In performance, even without anyone playing notes that could get "stuck," we switched windows and found that the live MIDI performance data was still going to the last song's window, not the frontmost window (i.e. the one with "focus"). So we ended up playing a song with the keyboard player playing the "wrong" sound!

I can see how this might be a "feature" - to keep a song playing normally while loading something else in the background, or prevent a song from stoping if windows get accidentally selected, but it goes against expected UI behaviour. If you stop a song, then switch windows, then start a different song, the frontmost song window should automatically get the MIDI focus, right? Might be nice to put an option to select this in the Preferences for version 3.0...
Old 2003-12-01, 18:29

Re: Multiple song windows and sticky MIDI focus

I've experienced this on my powerbook too. The answer for me was to be sure you STOP the sequence of the first song before moving on to the next. In one song, when the sequence is playing, you can MIDI control any device you want. Keep that song going and switch to another song and you'll have NO MIDI control at all. Go back to the first song, stop the sequence, then switch to the second song and you should have MIDI control. One time I thought I stopped a song, switched to the second song, had no MIDI control - thought it was a bug for sure. Then I went back to the first song and noticed it wasn't stopped - it reached the end of the song and was just playing silence.

So... that was the answer for me. Hope that helps...

:Hi all,
:
:Just did my first-ever live performance using Reason 2.5 on a PB G4, a hybrid of prerecorded Reason tracks with live MIDI synth performance.
:
:In order to speed up song transitions, we preloaded all of our set and then switched song windows as necessary. We didn't experience any bugs in rehearsal beyond the odd "stuck MIDI note" - if someone was playing MIDI in while I was opening other songs, when the "new" song window opened, a note would occasionally get stuck from the previous song window. We didn't consider this a killer bug.
:
:In performance, even without anyone playing notes that could get "stuck," we switched windows and found that the live MIDI performance data was still going to the last song's window, not the frontmost window (i.e. the one with "focus"). So we ended up playing a song with the keyboard player playing the "wrong" sound!
:
:I can see how this might be a "feature" - to keep a song playing normally while loading something else in the background, or prevent a song from stoping if windows get accidentally selected, but it goes against expected UI behaviour. If you stop a song, then switch windows, then start a different song, the frontmost song window should automatically get the MIDI focus, right? Might be nice to put an option to select this in the Preferences for version 3.0...
Old 2003-12-01, 18:50

I'll run some tests tonight and see if that works. I was pretty sure I'd stopped the songs, though. (Why doesn't Reason automatically stop when it reaches the E marker, anyway...? I have one song where, after the E marker, the ReDrum starts up again which, if I don't catch it, kind of mars the ending...)

:I've experienced this on my powerbook too. The answer for me was to be sure you STOP the sequence of the first song before moving on to the next. In one song, when the sequence is playing, you can MIDI control any device you want. Keep that song going and switch to another song and you'll have NO MIDI control at all. Go back to the first song, stop the sequence, then switch to the second song and you should have MIDI control. One time I thought I stopped a song, switched to the second song, had no MIDI control - thought it was a bug for sure. Then I went back to the first song and noticed it wasn't stopped - it reached the end of the song and was just playing silence.
:
:So... that was the answer for me. Hope that helps...
Old 2003-12-01, 19:03

YEah, I've always wondered that about the "E" end marker - stinkin' play head goes right past it - what's the point? I guess so when you go to load a file it calculates the total time based upon the bpm and the point of the "E" marker.

As far as the ReDrum doing that, you might wanna just take your completed patterns (sounds like your doing pattern work) and do a "copy pattern to track". Turn off pattern enable, and now your sequence track is triggering the redrum - you're not relying on patterns. A few pros/cons for each way of doing things.

:I'll run some tests tonight and see if that works. I was pretty sure I'd stopped the songs, though. (Why doesn't Reason automatically stop when it reaches the E marker, anyway...? I have one song where, after the E marker, the ReDrum starts up again which, if I don't catch it, kind of mars the ending...)
:
::I've experienced this on my powerbook too. The answer for me was to be sure you STOP the sequence of the first song before moving on to the next. In one song, when the sequence is playing, you can MIDI control any device you want. Keep that song going and switch to another song and you'll have NO MIDI control at all. Go back to the first song, stop the sequence, then switch to the second song and you should have MIDI control. One time I thought I stopped a song, switched to the second song, had no MIDI control - thought it was a bug for sure. Then I went back to the first song and noticed it wasn't stopped - it reached the end of the song and was just playing silence.
::
::So... that was the answer for me. Hope that helps...
: