Propellerhead Software
Old 2003-12-07, 23:41

Sound design. . input appreciatted

Ok, a question for you if you have the time. . .

I'm a guitarist who dove into Reason a couple years ago, so bear with me if my terminology is not. . .ummm. . adequate for those who've been at synthesis for years OR if I'm re-beating an already battered and bruised topic.

I'm working on a "percolating", tempo-synced, rhythmic sound. I want the entire sound to consist of several sounds/patches layered together with each sound having their own rhythm, offset from the others (including their own panning spot and LFO sweep. . ect.) when I play a chord.

Taking a cue from one of Fred's fab articles, I'm stacking refill sounds in NNXT this way (which I wouldn't have thought of doing on my own in a million years - thank you, Fred.)

I'd like the rhythm for each sound to be generated via gate out's from Redrum - which to me is less messy and CPU-stressing than using several Matrixs. Problem is, I can't send seperate gate out's from Redrum to individual zones/sounds on the NNXT, at least that I'm aware of. Am I seriously missing something obvious?

I don't want the rhythm to be generated by NNXT's LFO's and filters because I can't get the attack I get from using gates.

I thought about forgetting the NNXT and stacking several NN19's instead, which would solve the not-enough-gate-in-jacks problem but then I'm back to not being able to play them all at once. . . Well, yes I can. . I know about setting the midi buses, ect. . I mean not being able to play and record them all at once. . . AND I couldn't use the cool sounds made for NNXT either.

Any thoughts (even DUH!) would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Peace -
Dave
Old 2003-12-08, 01:27

Re: Sound design. . input appreciatted

:I'd like the rhythm for each sound to be generated via gate out's from Redrum - which to me is less messy and CPU-stressing than using several Matrixs. Problem is, I can't send seperate gate out's from Redrum to individual zones/sounds on the NNXT, at least that I'm aware of. Am I seriously missing something obvious?

I think your best bet, in Reason 2.5's current form, is to use a Spider CV after your ReDrum and split the gate cv into 5 signals, each triggering the cv of 5 different NNXT's. At this point, I don't think it is possible to trigger individual zones on one NNXT with cv, as the cv input on it is global.

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2003-12-08, 04:15

:I think your best bet, in Reason 2.5's current form, is to use a Spider CV after your ReDrum and split the gate cv into 5 signals, each triggering the cv of 5 different NNXT's.

Yeah, I was hoping for an exotic cv spider configuration to avoid the cpu usage of a lot of NNXT's for one sound.

Oh well. .

Thanks, Enoch.

Speaking of itsy bitsy cv spiders. . . we're 'bout due for another article on 'em!

Dave
Old 2003-12-08, 04:49

:Speaking of itsy bitsy cv spiders. . . we're 'bout due for another article on 'em!

I couldn't say, but my impression is that Fred's been pretty busy with a few other things recently. Don't know how he does it all; the man's a marvel.

His articles are worth waiting for, though. To me the collection has been one of the most immediately useful things about the Props site. Really impressive. He packs a lot of punch into those little things.

Mef
Old 2003-12-08, 04:52

:His articles are worth waiting for, though. To me the collection has been one of the most immediately useful things about the Props site. Really impressive. He packs a lot of punch into those little things.
:
:Mef

True dat, Mef. I'll be sorry to see them end. I heard that the 'Discovering Reason' articles are supposed to be a limited run, perhaps ending with the 12th article. Hope it keeps going!

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2003-12-08, 05:12

In a finite world there must come an end to discovery... :-/

::His articles are worth waiting for, though. To me the collection has been one of the most immediately useful things about the Props site. Really impressive. He packs a lot of punch into those little things.
::
::Mef
:
:True dat, Mef. I'll be sorry to see them end. I heard that the 'Discovering Reason' articles are supposed to be a limited run, perhaps ending with the 12th article. Hope it keeps going!

Seconded. I've mixed feelings on that. On the one hand, Fred deserves a break now and then. (A day every year or so?) Darned if I won't miss his insight and in-depth treatments though.

As a dedicated but thoroughly amateur/hobby type user, it's been endlessly revealing to see how an informed, professional user makes use of features and combinations I might never have guessed at on my own.

For those who really can put together tunes, I imagine the effect I feel must be multiplied by a hundred.

Like the greater universe, Reason is huge but finite. Past a certain point, Discovering Reason is something every user will have to take over for him- or herself. With the inspiration of these great articles and the music you guys have uploaded to the Song Archive, exploring has become far more pleasurable for me (and who knows how many other more serious users).

After that twelfth article goes up, all of us on this board should travel to Stockholm to buy Fred a huge dinner and drinks at a really good restaurant. :-) I'll have to start saving up now, and building a sailboat...

Meffy
Old 2003-12-08, 05:34

: Hope it keeps going!

It will. No end in sight for the moment.

/Fred
Old 2003-12-08, 05:50

: I couldn't say, but my impression is that Fred's been pretty busy with a few other things recently. Don't know how he does it all; the man's a marvel.

If you had *any idea* how little I accomplish in a day, you'd take me to court on charges of outrageous indolence...! Seriously. How else do you think I find the time to hang around these boards like a piece of furniture.

/Fred
Old 2003-12-08, 15:50

[Futurama] "Good news, everyone!" -- No end to discovery.

:: I couldn't say, but my impression is that Fred's been pretty busy with a few other things recently. Don't know how he does it all; the man's a marvel.
:
:If you had *any idea* how little I accomplish in a day, you'd take me to court on charges of outrageous indolence...! Seriously. How else do you think I find the time to hang around these boards like a piece of furniture.

Hah. I don't believe you for a minute.

On the other hand, you do have time to spell out in English "piece of furniture." In Swedish you just have to use one word, "m