Propellerhead Software
Old 2003-12-29, 05:59

White noise

Hi there,

A friend of mine told me that it is important to use white noise in a song. Is this true? I've noticed on some of the archived tracks that the producer has added 16th notes of small hi-hat noise to the track by enabling all the Redrum keys down the bottom. But the Producer has also used open and closed hihats and seems to use the white noise as a subliminal element. How important is white noise to a track?

Thanks for your responses.
Old 2003-12-29, 07:07

Re: White noise

:Hi there,
:
:A friend of mine told me that it is important to use white noise in a song. Is this true? I've noticed on some of the archived tracks that the producer has added 16th notes of small hi-hat noise to the track by enabling all the Redrum keys down the bottom. But the Producer has also used open and closed hihats and seems to use the white noise as a subliminal element. How important is white noise to a track?
:
:Thanks for your responses.

Err...your friend watch much conspiracy television shows, too? ;-)

Insert white noise if it makes your track sound like you want. If not, don't bother. I can't think of any reason why you would *have* to have white noise otherwise. What is your friend's reasoning regarding this suggestion?

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2003-12-29, 07:49

It's just a way of filling up the track and making it sound 'crisp' i suppose. You know when you listen to all those dance tracks and they have that high fidelity sound. Like all those massive 'sweeps' you hear in those epic House tracks. It seems to add depth and texture.
Old 2003-12-29, 07:51

PS.

But i guess it depends on the genre. For trance and epic House i would add white noise. For tribal and minimal House i would not. For disco House it would depend.
Old 2003-12-29, 08:47

It's just a way of filling up the track and making it sound 'crisp' i suppose. You know when you listen to all those dance tracks and they have that high fidelity sound. Like all those massive 'sweeps' you hear in those epic House tracks. It seems to add depth and texture.

Ahhh, I think I'm understanding now. That said, out of all of the tracks I've ever seen done in Reason (in song files here and on Reasonstation), I can't remember one ever using that technique, although that doesn't necessarily mean that no one uses it (and it certainly can be done with ease). It's just that...with proper mastering and useage of actual sweeps in the Malstrom, Subtractor, and NNXT - you shouldn't need to add it like that..?

But hey - great way to do it fast, I suppose. Let me know when you finish a track using the technique in Reason; I'd be interested to hear the results before and after. You can find me here or in the Phead User Forum on a pretty reliable basis.

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2003-12-29, 09:20

Yeh sure. It's going to take me a while to finish a track though. I have just started really getting into Reason and i am of the opinion that i need to master all the fiddly bits and 'fine tuning' techniques before i actually 'finish' a track. It's pretty easy to put down a drum beat and a baseline but i am at the stage where i just open Reason and fiddle around with the sounds and instruments. It's all those finishing touches that i am trying to learn, like how to do a good drumroll, how to insert those stabs, how to effect the stabs, and how to add sweeps and other effects to my work. I listen to all these amazing tracks and wonder how they create these amazing sounds. I suppose everything is different though. You may have amazing sounds in one track but chose to do another track in a more 'flat' manner(not EQ'ed), but to chop it up in an audio editing program. The possibilities seem endless! I am always on the lookout for new ways of doing things and really appreciate the advice i get here.
Old 2003-12-29, 11:47

That's real nonsense. White noise can be usefull as a hihat or a sweep effect but filling a track up with it is really a very weird way of giving a track a crisp sound. The high fidelity sound in most released tracks definately doesn't come from white noise being put all over the track. It's just the result of very carefull and precise mastering and eq'ing.

Hi there,
:
:A friend of mine told me that it is important to use white noise in a song. Is this true? I've noticed on some of the archived tracks that the producer has added 16th notes of small hi-hat noise to the track by enabling all the Redrum keys down the bottom. But the Producer has also used open and closed hihats and seems to use the white noise as a subliminal element. How important is white noise to a track?
:
:Thanks for your responses.
Old 2003-12-29, 17:27

This is how many dithering algorithms
work when downsizing the bit rate
eg. 32 bit - 16 bit

Adding subtle noise helps to retain more
of the frequency spectrum of the original higher bit rate audio file
Old 2003-12-29, 18:02

That's not true. Dithering is there to keep the last bit alive. Changing from 32 to 16 bit changes nothing to the frequency content. It changes the amount of possible levels in amplitude. If you would go from 24 bit to 16 bit then the softest parts would be abruptly cut off. By adding the subtle amount of noise this isn't obvious anymore and it keeps a lot of the info of the last bit in that noise at the same time. Adding white noise yourself is a technique that is just not used by professionals. I for one never saw anybody do that in my life. And i have seen some producers and productions....

This is how many dithering algorithms
:work when downsizing the bit rate
:eg. 32 bit - 16 bit
:
:Adding subtle noise helps to retain more
f the frequency spectrum of the original higher bit rate audio file