Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2003-12-30, 09:09
j3ph

Reason Compression vs Mastering Plugins

Ok, for those of you who have fairly decent mastering plugins, i.e. the Renaissance compressor or other such programs - do you bypass all the compressors in Reason when you export it as a WAV? Or do you just leave as is? Because from what I hear the Reason compressor ain't too great, (no offense props). Does the sound quality degrade if you use the Reason compressors? Does the same go for the Scream 4? Also, does anyone have any good mastering tips, tricks, or plugin recommendations? I've seen the Renaissance plugins in action and they sound pretty good. I'm considering buying that package, but I'm unsure if there are any better options for relatively the same price. One last question - can anyone give me specific tips for producing hip-hop songs? Such as drum EQing, reverb settings, etc.

If anyone can answer any of the above questions, I would highly appreciate it. I know it's a lot to take in at once. Thanks,

Jeff
Old 2003-12-30, 10:07
jbclp

Re: Reason Compression vs Mastering Plugins

For me it comes down to presets and the ability to efficiently manipulate them.

The Scream Unit is great for getting solid instrument sounds in my opinoin because the tone controls are more intuitive. I use the tape saturation for warmth more than anything else.

Waves plug ins sound great too. But tweaking them isn't as simple when shaping elements. Waves is better for merging and fitting elements into an overall track using the C4 and Ren comps in my opinoin.

As for the COMP-01, I'm in the belief that less is more. It can give you a highlighted edge on drum sounds but I have mixed feelings about using it on other instruments. Subs used here sound weak compared to the new wonderful Scream.

Try grouping similar elements (percussion, synths, etc) from Reason into Scream Tape Saturation units and use the Waves for vocals and mics.

BTW: I think there's a multi band compressor patch built out of Screams somewhere out there. . .
Old 2003-12-30, 10:33
j3ph

As for the COMP-01, I'm in the belief that less is more. It can give you a highlighted edge on drum sounds but I have mixed feelings about using it on other instruments. Subs used here sound weak compared to the new wonderful Scream.
:
:Try grouping similar elements (percussion, synths, etc) from Reason into Scream Tape Saturation units and use the Waves for vocals and mics.
:
:BTW: I think there's a multi band compressor patch built out of Screams somewhere out there. . .

jb, thanks for the help.
What do you mean by 'subs' though?

I have tried using the multiband compressor patch, but the Vocoders color the mix too much and make it sound pretty weak.

Do you ever use a Scream 4 on tape distortion for your entire mix? If so, what kind of settings do you usually use? I'm especially curious as to how much damage you set it to, because it seems like there's a very thin line between a bit of warmth and annoying distortion.

Oh yeah, like I asked Leroy, do you know of any plugins that would be a good pick for just mastering the entire mix, maybe with a little compression and limiting just to give it that extra punch?

Peace,
Jeff
Old 2003-12-30, 10:07
leroybr0wn

When I master I use a delta 10/10 and place different sounds in there own mixers. I then use different channels and go through a mackie 20 channel board into a compressor , limiter and a TC Electronics finalizer. From there I burn to CD on an External. The sound we get is great it is the same quality of the cd's we bump in the car or home stereo.

We listen to and produce hip hop such as slum village, neptunes, aceyalone, 50, dre and just about everything under the sun. I don't like allot of tunes but I listen to so much hiphop nothing goes undetected. LOL

Any way here is my hip hop tip of the day:

One thing I think beleive everyone should be doing is adding an extra mixer just for drums and putting each one of the Redrum channels on it's own channel in your second mixer.

Then you run the second mixer into 2 channels on your first mixer. Run the left out of mixer 2 into channel 1 on mixer 1 and pan it hard left. Next run the right out from mixer 2 into channel 2 of mixer 1 and pan it hard right. Youll notice a large difference right off the bat.

Drum Sample CD with over 20 Drum Machines
Old 2003-12-30, 10:27
jbclp

If I may add to the hip hop tip of the day. . .

Add COMP-01 to every single drum channel on the Drum Mixer and set so that GAIN is no more than the first red light past 0db every so often. Then add a Scream set to Tape Compression between the Drum Mixer outputs and the inputs on Mixer 2.

This should give plenty of punch before laying down that phat ass BASS!!
Old 2003-12-30, 12:21

The AKAI PRO quad compressor VST Plug-in is the business as is the BBE Sonic Maximizer.

IK Multimedia's T-Racks is also a great mastering tool for mastering outside of Reason.

One of the above threads mentoned the Multiband Compressor setup that you can wire-up in Reason - it can be found on the Discover Reason page (go to Props home page and click on the spiderman is back link, then the Mastering Article No 3) with this you can insert some Some Scream 4's into the signal flow for each frequency band.
Old 2003-12-30, 23:20
jbclp

You know I forgot to mention the compressor function in Recycle. This is also a WONDERFUL tool to try some basic compression techniques on loops or soundclips.

Recycle's presets are right on!