Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2004-01-20, 07:34
leroybr0wn

Free Dual Monitors in 10 Minutes

I have had dual monitors in the past at work but I had a special card to do so.

So I go to Fry's electronics to buy a card last night and I buy a Gainward FX powerpack that supports dual monitors from one card. I paid $75 on sale. I got it home and my new box doesn't have any AGP slots. It only has pci slots. Darn.

So I look online for "PCI Dual Video Cards" and I find an article that tells how to do it for free!

I salvaged a old pci video card from a computer that was a couple years old and sitting in my garage. I then pulled out my old 17" monitor. I installed the second pci card and plugged in my second monitor and boom I am up and running for FREE!!! You can drag the sequencer into the second monitor in Reason. This is the bomb. When I go back to the studio I will do it there also. (The pic above is my home studio) We can rewire reason into cubase and run them side by side. I am sure you can do the same with Live or whatever app you like next to Reaon. I feel like a kid again.

I also design web pages so this is going to be fatty.

I couldn't believe I did it for no cash. I will be at fry's tommorrow returning the other card. unless someone wants to buy it from me.

Anyway I am not posting this to get someone to buy it. I want you all to know how easy it is. It took me about 10 minutes start to finish!!! Now I am going to get another flat panel because the footprint of the old 17 is huge. Prob tommorrow if I am lucky Then I'll have to update my picture LOL!

Everyone should do this.... If they can I think it is the best thing since liced pizza.
My Sample CD Site - Great for Reason!
Old 2004-01-20, 07:41

Re: Free Dual Monitors in 10 Minutes

:Everyone should do this.... If they can I think it is the best thing since liced pizza.

all nice and dandy if you had told us how to do it, or gave us a link to the article where you got the infromation.....
Old 2004-01-20, 10:32
matrixmillion

Very true. Just saying you installed the old PCI card isn't enough.

I always thought you got conflicts with two graphic cards.
Old 2004-01-21, 03:17
leroybr0wn

Actually thats all there is to it. install the other card windows sees it and your up and running in under 10 minutes depending how fast you can get the screws on and off.

Windows has this functionality built into it, I just never knew it. I assume others don't either.

Click here for the instructions
Old 2004-01-21, 03:14
leroybr0wn

Link to how to.

Thought I did link the article. Oops. Look below. I have no irc conflict it is built into all Windows OS after 98 except NT. If you have windows NT you need to create a dual boot system.

Click here to learn how
Old 2004-01-20, 12:10

cue morpheus style voice

welcome, to the real world...

I had a TFT from my old Desktop, so plugged that in to my Laptop: instant heaven! You can now see the point of the detatchable sequencer, and it's so much easier when ReWiring with Cubase (the most floaty window app in the world... i have sequencer on one screen, mixer and instruments in the other...), since you can *see* what instrument is played through rewire, as opposed to cryptic names in sequencer lanes

plus, as you pointed out, the benefits to other programs are huge too. I do a lot of coding/numeric computation, so if I'm writing something up, it's nice to have the output in one screen and the text in the other... Can imagine web design would also benefit (html in one screen, dynamic preview in the other?)

benw
riviero @ soundclick
Old 2004-01-20, 13:21
Wizkid

"Can imagine web design would also benefit (html in one screen, dynamic preview in the other?)

Man, you have no idea how sweet dual monitors are for web development. Changed my whole work flow for the better. And yes, the are very *VERY* useful for reason... but web development is what urged me to get the second monitor.
Old 2004-01-20, 15:21

Yeah I mean, why would it not work? If you have two graphics cards you can have two monitors?!?!? Duh....

What is so strange about that?

Old 2004-01-20, 18:12

Yeah I mean, why would it not work? If you have two graphics cards you can have two monitors?!?!? Duh....
:
:What is so strange about that?
:
:

if you are on a PC you have IRC conflicts...
Old 2004-01-20, 18:18

::
::What is so strange about that?
:
:if you are on a PC you have IRC conflicts...

If your running xp its tottaly easy it explains everything in the help files.