Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2004-01-28, 23:11

o/t techie question, How do you hear Aliasing?

I've been digging around on a few sites (okay, dsp/C++ sites) with the intention of whenever I get the time to play around with the VST SDK...

... so. I understand that Nyquist etc means that dsp code must take into account aliasing, and the usual way around this is to filter off everything above half the sampling rate.

My question is, what happens if you don't? Do you hear things differently or 'wrong'? I downloaded the free Synth1, which according to comments suffers from aliasing - but I'm dammed if I can hear any difference from this to something more professional and expensive.

any audio examples, or thoughts, or should I not bother worrying and just get synthedit?

benw
riviero @ soundclick
Old 2004-01-29, 00:29
kage630

Re: o/t techie question, How do you hear Aliasing?

well, if your sample rate is 44.1 kHz, and you fail to filter out everything above the nyquist frequency (22.05 kHz), then you risk allowing aliasing artifacts into your music which are outside of the response range of human hearing.

in short, i wouldn't sweat it. i am quite sure that the reason 44.1 kHz was adopted as a standard sampling rate is because the nyquist frequency associated with it is outside of the range of response of the human ear.

:... so. I understand that Nyquist etc means that dsp code must take into account aliasing, and the usual way around this is to filter off everything above half the sampling rate.
:
:My question is, what happens if you don't?
[ s p h 3 x ]