Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2004-03-16, 18:36

Studio monitors vs "normal" PC speakers

What exactly are studio monitors (apart from expensive!)?

My PC currently has Videologic Scirocco speakers and amplifier, with a subwoofer, and it sounds damn good to me. I keep seeing recommendations to use studio monitors, but I have no idea what they give me over something like the Videologics?

Any advice gratefully received (unless it makes me want a pair!)
Old 2004-03-16, 18:42

Re: Studio monitors vs "normal" PC speakers

What they will not give you, is the "plastic" sound-quality...
Old 2004-03-16, 19:28

:

Home speakers are like a really hot girlfriend. Even if you don't look that good, you're really hot girlfriend makes you look pretty decent.

Home speakers are meant to make the music sound good. Therefore, even if the music you're making isn't that good, home speakers will make them sound better.

Studio monitors on the other hand are 'supposed' to translate the music you are making with a flat response. In other words not make your music sound any better, but just play your music.

Does this make sense?
Old 2004-03-16, 19:56

Nice one!!!
Old 2004-03-16, 19:57

:
:My PC currently has Videologic Scirocco speakers and amplifier, with a subwoofer, and it sounds damn good to me. I keep seeing recommendations to use studio monitors, but I have no idea what they give me over something like the Videologics?
:
:Any advice gratefully received (unless it makes me want a pair!)

Let me tell you this: When you start to produce music with studio monitors, you'll wonder how the heck you survived without them in the first place.

There's a reason why studio monitors exist, they're made so you can make music. They're not made for you to listen to music (sorta, but you get the point).
Old 2004-03-16, 22:17

If I might be so bold to add to the comments for clarification: when we say "regular speakers are supposed to make your music sound good and studio monitors are supposed to recreate your music in a flat response, the way it *really* sounds", what is being referred to is the mix of the music (track mixing, EQ'ing, mastering, etc).

Studio monitors wont make bad music sound good; they will, however, allow you to fine-tune your mix and make the mix sound as good as possible on all the "other" speakers. That said, you should use actual studio monitors (near field, etc) as well as a good set of headphones and any other type of speaker you can (home stereo, car stereo, etc) to judge correctly.

I think we'd all agree that studio monitors are the first step to a proper sounding mix.

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2004-03-16, 22:31

brand ?

which brand do you suggest ?
i have an older(12yrs) pair of jbls that i've never been able to bond with, but just never was motivated to research a different pair.
Old 2004-03-17, 04:47

Re: brand ?

Well, I just read that the new Mackie Tapco's are a great bang for buck. The thread is located at the link below.

Cheers,

EnochLight
Mackie TAPCO's
Old 2004-03-17, 15:12

Re: brand ?

which brand do you suggest ?
-------------------------
you might want to take some music with production that you particularly like and bring it down to your friendly neighborhood music store. Most music stores have rooms filled with monitors for you to listen to. You really have to let your ears make the decision for you.
pat hamm was here...
Old 2004-03-17, 16:06

Bad CD's sound bad. Excellent CD's sound outrageous

I finally bought a pair of very, very good monitors.
With commercial CD's you can hear compressors clamping down, you can hear splices in vocals sometimes, you can hear reverbs on instruments you didn't even know existed on 'home stereo speakers.' You can hear timbres in the instruments that you can't hear on home systems.

For example, my wife loves the Madonna 'Ray of Light' CD. She wanted me to put it through these new monitors and every ten seconds or so she'd say 'I didn't ever hear THAT before.' She was mesmerized. Luckily that is a well-produced CD and it sounds very good on my monitors.

Anyway, with a good monitor, this means you can 'translate' mixes to other playback systems much easier.

When you get good monitors, you'll go back and listen to all the mixes you did and THEN you'll begin the long process of re-mixing everything all over again.