Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2004-03-26, 01:20

Macs: Is a G4 Dual 867 gonna be enough?

I'm looking at switching to Mac and will probably get a 2nd-hand one. One thing about Macs as compared to PC's is they are expensive. I want a dual processor but the dual 1.25 is a bit too expensive ... the dual 867s look reasonable. But are they enough?

I'll be running Reason 2.5 with ProTools LE and I want to have a few plug-ins including reverb, amplitube etc.

This is for a home set-up not studio.

I've done a search but nothing quite on point.

Many thanks

David
Old 2004-03-26, 04:28

Re: Macs: Is a G4 Dual 867 gonna be enough?

I've been running Reason on a G4-400 which was upgraded to a single 1.0GHz G4 CPU (meaning the motherboard is still the older one, with only a 100MHz main bus speed). I've gotten plenty of use out of it from verison 1.0 all the way to 2.5. I can max things out a bit if I use a lot of malstrom units, but other than that, I can run a lot of devices at once. I do have the advantage of maxed out RAM on this machine, 2GB. That helps a LOT I think. I don' know what the performance will be like with Protools and Reason rewired together and the addition of Protools plugins, but Reason running standalone should be great on that system.

All of that being said, I'm waiting on an announcement for the next rev of G5 machines, at which time I'll probably be making a biiiiiig purchase of a top end dual G5!

- R

I'm looking at switching to Mac and will probably get a 2nd-hand one. One thing about Macs as compared to PC's is they are expensive. I want a dual processor but the dual 1.25 is a bit too expensive ... the dual 867s look reasonable. But are they enough?
:
:I'll be running Reason 2.5 with ProTools LE and I want to have a few plug-ins including reverb, amplitube etc.
:
:This is for a home set-up not studio.
:
:I've done a search but nothing quite on point.
:
:Many thanks
:
avid
Old 2004-03-27, 01:23

Thanks Robotovat. I gues a lot of RAM will be important, and so will having a separate HD (internal or FW) for audio. Any other thoughts? Is 867 the poor relation?

What sort of system do you have?

Cheers!
Old 2004-03-27, 03:54

Uhhh...the RAM has nothing to do with what drive you store your audio on. Nonetheless, it is good to have your audio stored on a fast drive that isn't your boot volume under OS X.

I'm running a Mac G4-400MHz which I upgraded to a 1.0GHz CPU, and I've maxed out the RAM at 2GB. I keep my audio on an internal 2-drive RAID, separate from my boot drive. I'm runing OS X 10.3.3. I may be upgrading to a dual G5 soon though. My audio interface is the newest thing in my setup, a recent purchase of a MOTU firewire 828mk2, replacing the M-Audio firewire410 which I had ENDLESS trouble with. So far, it's trouble free and sounding great.

I think the dual 867MHz is a perfectly fine machine for audio work. The newer G5s seem to outperform the last G4 models else by leaps and bounds from what I hear from owners and benchmarks, it's no small speedbump upgrade. However, there's nothing wrong with a reasonably priced used or refurbed machine when the budget is tight. Your dual 867MHz will most likley outperform my single 1.0GHz by a long way, especially since my motherboard is still the old G4-400 model.

- R

Thanks Robotovat. I gues a lot of RAM will be important, and so will having a separate HD (internal or FW) for audio. Any other thoughts? Is 867 the poor relation?
:
:What sort of system do you have?
:
:Cheers!
Old 2004-03-27, 12:21

Thanks again Robotovat. I know that RAM and disc storage are two totally different things ... my point there was simply that there are things that I can do to improve any system and two of those things are (1) getting a lot of RAM and (2) having a separate drive for audio.

I also know that a G5 will outperform a G4. Unfortunately they are outside my budget

Cheers!
Old 2004-03-27, 13:41

Should be ... it depends on how many rewire tracks

I'm running a Dual 864 with Reason, and rewired into Logic Pro. I've gotten good use out of Reason with my Dual 867.

You won't be able to rewire 64 audio tracks into ProTools at once, while having loads of effects going as well...except on a G5 probably.
However, the fact remains that under normal use of both softwares, the dual 867 is plenty up to the task so far as I have been using it.
Old 2004-03-28, 03:03

Sorry! I didn't mean to imply you were dumb or something, I just misunderstood the wording in your post!

- R

Thanks again Robotovat. I know that RAM and disc storage are two totally different things ... my point there was simply that there are things that I can do to improve any system and two of those things are (1) getting a lot of RAM and (2) having a separate drive for audio.
:
:I also know that a G5 will outperform a G4. Unfortunately they are outside my budget
:
:Cheers!