Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2004-05-03, 06:53

Thinking of getting a Mac any suggestions?

Hi,

I am currently pondering purchasing a mac (probably a laptop). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what mac runs Reason the best? Also would I need to purchase an external soundcard of some sort for producing music or could I just get by with what is installed on the mac? I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thx.
Old 2004-05-03, 07:31

Re: Thinking of getting a Mac any suggestions?

I have the 12 inch g4 laptop. Pretty amazing with reason. Faster is always better. with macs, that is pretty much the long and the short of it. you could get by just using the the headphone outs to a computer speaker setup. however, depending on how accurate a monitor situation you need, I would say go with a firewire audio interface like the motu 2408 mark 3. USB audio is kind of buggy from what I hear.

Hi,
:
:I am currently pondering purchasing a mac (probably a laptop). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what mac runs Reason the best? Also would I need to purchase an external soundcard of some sort for producing music or could I just get by with what is installed on the mac? I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thx.
Josh Mobley music
Old 2004-05-03, 16:22

Any Mac these days would be great. My next Mac will most likely be a G5 tower with 2 monitors. I recommend that you get lots of RAM - a gig is great but DON'T buy it from Apple if you can help it. You can get it much cheaper from elsewhere. The problem is, RAM is a little tough to install in laptops and I Macs.

I have the 12 inch g4 laptop. Pretty amazing with reason. Faster is always better. with macs, that is pretty much the long and the short of it. you could get by just using the the headphone outs to a computer speaker setup. however, depending on how accurate a monitor situation you need, I would say go with a firewire audio interface like the motu 2408 mark 3. USB audio is kind of buggy from what I hear.
:
:
:
:Hi,
::
::I am currently pondering purchasing a mac (probably a laptop). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what mac runs Reason the best? Also would I need to purchase an external soundcard of some sort for producing music or could I just get by with what is installed on the mac? I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thx.
Old 2004-05-03, 19:38

Hey Neoverse...

Do you use your Powerbook for recording audio at all? I'm wondering about the hard drive speed etc for that. Any experience there?
Old 2004-05-03, 20:18

Re: Hey Neoverse...

actually, yeah, but not much. I just recorded some vocals in NYC using the powerbook and the 01x. For vocals, it's perfect. I don't know about recording a 8 piece band.

hope that helps

Do you use your Powerbook for recording audio at all? I'm wondering about the hard drive speed etc for that. Any experience there?
Josh Mobley music
Old 2004-05-03, 20:48

Re: Hey Neoverse...

thanks, that does help-I'm just looking for basically a track at a time, maybe two, so that's good to hear.

hmmm, gotta make this happen...
Old 2004-05-04, 16:36

Forgive me if I seem a bit ignorant here, but does motu mark 3 easily bypass the music card in the apple? How easy is it to set up? Many thanks.

:
:
:
:Hi,
::I am currently pondering purchasing a mac (probably a laptop). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what mac runs Reason the best? Also would I need to purchase an external soundcard of some sort for producing music or could I just get by with what is installed on the mac? I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thx.
Old 2004-05-04, 19:30

it's a no brainer really. you just install the card and drivers, open audio midi setup and choose pci 424 card as your output

Forgive me if I seem a bit ignorant here, but does motu mark 3 easily bypass the music card in the apple? How easy is it to set up? Many thanks.
:
:
:I have the 12 inch g4 laptop. Pretty amazing with reason. Faster is always better. with macs, that is pretty much the long and the short of it. you could get by just using the the headphone outs to a computer speaker setup. however, depending on how accurate a monitor situation you need, I would say go with a firewire audio interface like the motu 2408 mark 3. USB audio is kind of buggy from what I hear.
::Hi,
:::
:::I am currently pondering purchasing a mac (probably a laptop). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what mac runs Reason the best? Also would I need to purchase an external soundcard of some sort for producing music or could I just get by with what is installed on the mac? I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thx.
Josh Mobley music
Old 2004-05-03, 21:08

Does anybody know if Apple is planning any laptops with the new G5 processor? Those old G4's seem so slow compared to what I can get on a PC laptop nowadays. Keep in mind, this isn't flame bait - I want a nice Mactop; just don't want a G3/G4 class when I can get an Athlon 64 for about the same price (if not less).

Cheers,

EnochLight
Old 2004-05-03, 23:03

g5 laptops are a ways off n/t

Does anybody know if Apple is planning any laptops with the new G5 processor? Those old G4's seem so slow compared to what I can get on a PC laptop nowadays. Keep in mind, this isn't flame bait - I want a nice Mactop; just don't want a G3/G4 class when I can get an Athlon 64 for about the same price (if not less).
:
:Cheers,
:
:EnochLight
Josh Mobley music