Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2004-06-30, 00:43

KRK Rokit Rp-8 good for electronica/trance mixing?

Hi!

I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of KRK Rokit RP-8's because I really need monitors telling me the truth (which my logitechs do *not*).
The RP-8 has got good reviews, but my local music store seller tells me they're not so good for mixing Electronica/trance and stuff because they are *too* flat in freq response!? He suggests I should go for Event 20/20 Bass V2's instead...which hasn't got too good reviews according to Mr google...

So, I wonder if there is any electronica musician out here who has another opinion in this matter?

Brgds
Lasse, RSB

Old 2004-06-30, 00:56

Re: KRK Rokit Rp-8 good for electronica/trance mixing?

Hi!
:
:I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of KRK Rokit RP-8's because I really need monitors telling me the truth (which my logitechs do *not*).
:The RP-8 has got good reviews, but my local music store seller tells me they're not so good for mixing Electronica/trance and stuff because they are *too* flat in freq response!? He suggests I should go for Event 20/20 Bass V2's instead...which hasn't got too good reviews according to Mr google...
:
:So, I wonder if there is any electronica musician out here who has another opinion in this matter?
:
:
:Brgds
:Lasse, RSB
:
:

first thing i'd do is take a listen, and let your ears be the judge..

never let a salesman tell you what is best without hearing them first...

take in a CD of the type of music you want to work on...and LISTEN!!!!

i personally mix with a pair of Event PS 6's..

for the money i had to spend i was happy with there sound....

my 2 cents...
Old 2004-06-30, 18:49

sounds reasonable!
Old 2004-06-30, 04:03

I use a pair of RP-8's with an RP-10S subwoofer. It is the best setup I have ever had, I've used Event and Mackie before but I like the sound of this KRK setup the best. Of course, it's all subjective. As for the freq. response. The flatter the better. You want to hear the actual sound of the music, no boost's in any freq., moreover, you will learn to adapt on any set of monitors, once you learn the qualities and quirks of the monitors you will be accurate with your mixes. (hopefully)

Go KRK.
Old 2004-06-30, 19:04

Ok, that's the thing i want to hear:-)

I want to be able to mix at very low level (late night & everyone is sleeping:-) so in my thoughts the monitor I want wouldn't be "technically" flat, but with compensation for the hearing curve (which causes mid range frequencies to sound louder than low's and high's even if they technically have same dB).
So, what happens with the bass on the RP-8's when you turn down the level to low....disappear? (without using the sub, that is)

I suspect it's a bit complicated to compensate for that though, since the shape of the hearing curve changes at different listening levels.