Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2004-08-07, 21:24

MODULE IDEA - CV quantizer!!! read on???

i was inspired to add to progtronik's idea...

the idea of piping multiple lfo's through a spider cv merger is a GREAT and creativve idea...

the reason i do NOT use it is...

with cv's adding - you mostly get UNpredictable results - or to get predictable results you need a Cray super computer to pre-calculate the desired output...

so i propose a programmable CV Quantzer... or a "ReStricter" module...

so you can pre-determine acceptable output values...

you could either draw in values that are allowed to pass - or draw in values that are rejected...
etyrnity
Old 2004-08-15, 12:53

Re: MODULE IDEA - CV quantizer!!! read on???

what about a cv compressor(limiter) ???????
anyway

hey i think youre the right guy to ask... i was wondering,,

cv is just voltage rite ?

is it possible that an audio signal be converted to cv values ?

you get me rite ?

for a sine wave you sample the voltages at different points and send it to the control voltage input !

im not sure if im talkin sense here ...

but patching phasers and flangers etc into maybe malstrom and then converting the final audio signal to cv and then feeding it into some other synth, may result into some unthinkable sound !

Old 2004-08-15, 22:24

*i see what you are getting at...

let me comment for a sec...

:what about a cv compressor(limiter) ??????? anyway... hey i think you're the right guy to ask... i was wondering...

*uh oh!

:cv is just voltage rite ?

*yes it is...

:is it possible that an audio signal be converted to cv values ?

*with reason? no...

*but you can, say, use an LFO output running into a gate IN to trigger notes...

:you get me rite ?

*i certainly do.

:for a sine wave you sample the voltages at different points and send it to the control voltage input !

*right - so that you can reconstruct or process your audio signal

:im not sure if im talkin sense here ... but patching phasers and flangers etc into maybe malstrom and then converting the final audio signal to cv and then feeding it into some other synth, may result into some unthinkable sound !

*generally cv's are slow moving signals...

like LFO's... so you may not hear anything...

i understand what you are getting at - but i feel it would be more efficient to just add more processing power to reason...

like add realtime bit depth shifting, realtime pitch shifting... realtime time shifting (using buffers and controlled feedback)..

and Granular Synthesis/Processing would give you a WHOLE new WORLD of sounds (pretty much unlimited) -

i think what you would find VERY useful (and so would i) is a AUDIO to CV envelope follower/generator...

so you could use the pitch/dynamics/envelopes to control aspects of other sounds...

it would also be nice to have subsonic synthesizing... frequency dividing etc...

Reason needs some WAY cool MATHEMATICAL processing...

extract certain frequencies, and other audio data and use it for other purposes...

i love REASON - there is no good alternative - but my ideas are usually growing beyond reason's boundries...

i love the modularity of reason...

i just wish there were some OUTSIDE THE BOX - MODERN processing and sound generation concepts being included...

Granular Synthesis/Processing being the most important...

and Spectral processing.

some super-fft math hyper processing other world oh yeah sound...

etyrnity
Old 2004-08-15, 22:29

the point of my original idea was...

you can do a LOT with cv's...

but lots of the time the cv's are just a little more 'out of control' than you need...

if the 'voltages' could be processed through a 'quantizer' - you could nail that sound!

eg: if you are using a cv for pitch... run it through a quantizer that specifies what pitches are allowed through... and the cv would be constantly shifted to the closest cv voltage that coresponds to the pitches you have allowed...

eg: if you are using it to control some level then it would quantize the cv signal to the several allowed levels you have defined...

...the ideas being - being able to constrain values to useful and wanted ones...

etyrnity
Old 2004-08-17, 10:25

yup! got what youre saying

yup it'd b an important tool when the rack becomes to heavy for the cpu !
Old 2004-08-17, 10:56

eh?

Actually, his idea wouldn't help reduce CPU usage at all. It would simply quantize CV values so that they only stuck to certain values.

For example, an sine wave LFO going through a quantizer would be stepped rather than a smooth curve becuase the values would only snap to certain key areas.
Old 2004-08-18, 13:17

All this and more!

:For example, an sine wave LFO going through a quantizer would be stepped rather than a smooth curve becuase the values would only snap to certain key areas.

...or

if you had 3 different lfo outputs of different frequency, amplitude, and wave shape - all going into a cv merger... and then you run the output into a CV Quantizer - yummy! now your output values are only what you want - and you get to keep the unique, complex pattern too!
etyrnity
Old 2004-08-22, 13:18

Scream4 Modulation

Hey SHIVA, the Scream4 unit has something called Auto CV Output, I think it has something to do with making audio into CV to be used to i.e. modulating with. Try it and play with it
Old 2004-08-23, 22:48

Re: Scream4 Modulation

that's one of those things i never got around to trying yet...

i'mma give itah whorl!!

although this was not what i had in mind with the original idea...
etyrnity
Old 2004-11-26, 10:49

i was inspired to add to progtronik's idea...
:
:the idea of piping multiple lfo's through a spider cv merger is a GREAT and creativve idea...
:
:the reason i do NOT use it is...
:
:with cv's adding - you mostly get UNpredictable results - or to get predictable results you need a Cray super computer to pre-calculate the desired output...
:
:so i propose a programmable CV Quantzer... or a "ReStricter" module...
:
:so you can pre-determine acceptable output values...
:
:you could either draw in values that are allowed to pass - or draw in values that are rejected...

another wishful thought
MAGIK DISAPPEARING WEBSITE