Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2004-08-19, 01:21

HEY PROPS!! EVERYONE WANTS GRANULAR SYNTHESIS!!!

HEY PROPS!! EVERYONE WANTS GRANULAR SYNTHESIS/PROCESSING!!! They just don't know it yet...

the same way they didn't know that they NEEDED ReBirth and Reason so much - BEFORE they had heard of it!

c'mon! you KNOW you WANT TO!

"DO IT! DO IT!" - Starsky

"Just Do It!" - Nike

"Reason would be like the perfect Nirvana if it had Granular Synthesis/Processing and a full fledged Arpeggiator" - MAHATMA GANDHI

etyrnity
Old 2004-08-20, 04:34

pitch shifter module

I'm really keen on the idea of a pitch shifter/corrector module. Something would allow for some realtime pitch shifting (anyone remember the Sound Blaster realtime pitch shifter that people used to make that stupid "wheeee" squirl voice?) as well as correct vocals and such.

This module could have several pitch shifting methods, similar to how Live has a variety of shifters. One of those shifting methods could be granular synthesis for sure. Maybe another could be a nice formant shaping shifter like Melodyne has.
Old 2004-08-20, 04:52

Re: pitch shifter module

:I'm really keen on the idea of a pitch shifter/corrector module. Something would allow for some realtime pitch shifting (anyone remember the Sound Blaster realtime pitch shifter that people used to make that stupid "wheeee" squirl voice?) as well as correct vocals and such.

yeah! i always wanted that... also a bit depth shifter so we could variably reduce bit depth - say push a sample from 16bit down to 1 bit and back - way cool!

:This module could have several pitch shifting methods, similar to how Live has a variety of shifters.

yeah! it's just something very useful.

:One of those shifting methods could be granular synthesis for sure.

THAT is why i always include the Processor when i talk about Granular Synthesis/Processing...

because the Granular synthesis is SO awesome all by itself, but if you could process other synths and sounds that would be WAY cool too!

including the ability to shift pitch, alter timings (like a buffer override effect with the extended ability to also syncronize buffer lengths to specific musical subdivisions)...

: Maybe another could be a nice formant shaping shifter like Melodyne has.

hmmmm i'll have to check that one out.

i am always looking for WAY cool - super out-there effects with a huge degree of versatility...

peace
etyrnity
Old 2004-08-20, 14:16

melodyne and such

First off, I think the scream 4 already has bit reduction with it's Digital distortion type. One knob controls bits, the other controls sample rate.

As for Melodyne, check out the link below. It's probably one of the most realistic pitch correction tools thanks for the formant shaping which allows even long stretchs or vibrato to sound natural.
Melodyne demo and videos
Old 2010-03-28, 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by djen View Post
First off, I think the scream 4 already has bit reduction with it's Digital distortion type. One knob controls bits, the other controls sample rate.

As for Melodyne, check out the link below. It's probably one of the most realistic pitch correction tools thanks for the formant shaping which allows even long stretchs or vibrato to sound natural.
Melodyne demo and videos

I have to upgrade my Melodyne. I love it.

M-ManLA.com
Facebook.com/mmanla
Old 2004-09-13, 13:46

Re: pitch shifter module

:yeah! i always wanted that... also a bit depth shifter so we could variably reduce bit depth - say push a sample from 16bit down to 1 bit and back - way cool!

Scream can do this... P1 is the Bit Depth and P2 is the Sample Rate (or vice versa not sure) So you can control these via CV cables for some nice (nasty) effects...

Debut Album - Out Now - Full Preview On My Web Site
Old 2004-08-27, 18:40

there is already formant shifter and bit reduction...

for shifting feed same sound to modulator and carrier in vocoder and try the shift knob. bit reduction is in scream4.

and what comes to maelstrom, it operates differently than standard granular synthesis and that way it achieves better quality, but maybe there will be sample importing with lower quality in future...

i'm quite disappointed that nobody seems to explore reasons features and usually i don't even comment on things like this.

READ the manual and think how you could achieve something before requesting feature that's already in.

sorry but i'm just little annoyed of these feature requests...nothing personal
Old 2004-08-28, 06:22

Re: there is already formant shifter and bit reduction...

:sorry but i'm just little annoyed of these feature requests...nothing personal

it's ok - i am annoyed that you ASSUME things about my knowledge of REASON and speak thusly from ignorance...

the shift in the vocoder is NOT what i am talking about...

and the 'bit-shift' in the Scream adds overdrive...

i do not believe it does a pure bit depth change...
etyrnity
Old 2004-08-28, 17:26

Re: there is already formant shifter and bit reduction...

:it's ok - i am annoyed that you ASSUME things about my knowledge of REASON and speak thusly from ignorance...
- i'm sorry if you got annoyed. i didn't specifically direct my message to anybody. i should had started new thread. it's just ME who is annoyed. i just wanted to say it.
it's just sad to see that no one actually reads the manual. i don't mean necessarily you, but there are those types who ask features that are already there if you just would read manual. this forum is just nowadays full of feature requests and lot of pure crap about reason

:the shift in the vocoder is NOT what i am talking about...
- yes, i understand what you mean. i have requested this feature before 2.0. actually djen asked for formant shift.

:and the 'bit-shift' in the Scream adds overdrive...
:
:i do not believe it does a pure bit depth change...
- if you don't raise damage control a lot there shouldn't be any significant overdrive. set damage control to about 10 and volume to full and you have good bit reductor.
Old 2004-08-28, 23:49

Pink Smegma

:- i'm sorry if you got annoyed. i didn't specifically direct my message to anybody. i should had started new thread. it's just ME who is annoyed. i just wanted to say it.

no problem... no appology necessary... but i do think it is both ironic and hillarious that a person 'complains' about hearing too many feature requests in the 'Feature Request' forum! =)~ anyway - it is a 'Feature Request' forum... and it doesn't specify that they can't already exist! so some people will naturally exercise their right to ask for features that Reason already HAS... =O

:but there are those types who ask features that are already there if you just would read manual. this forum is just nowadays full of feature requests and lot of pure crap about reason

are you reallly surprised that there are feature requests in this particular area of the forums? you are a little weird.

:- if you don't raise damage control a lot there shouldn't be any significant overdrive. set damage control to about 10 and volume to full and you have good bit reductor.

i 'spose you right... good call...

it just doesn't seem to me that i ever get that really great 8bit sound out of it... i'll putz with it a bit more... maybe i should chan TWO and bit bit shift shift

a n s w e r s t o l i f e ' s . . .