Propellerhead Software
Old 2004-08-20, 09:17

REX slices to track on NNXT

this might have been covered before, but ...

i usually load REX loops into NNXTs rather than Dr.REX's -- i like being able to group and process slices individually using the NNXT's deeper feature set. every time i load a loop, i have to:
-- create a Dr.REX;
-- load the loop;
-- hit the 'To Track' button;
-- delete the Dr.REX;
-- create an NNXT;
-- load the loop into the NNXT;
-- reassign the former Dr.REX sequencer track to the NNXT;
-- delete the blank NNXT sequencer track.

if the Props added a Slices To Track button to the NNXT -- just a tiny square button; there's plenty of room on the NNXT's face even without opening the remote editor -- it would cut out five of these seven steps.

i know there's a tendency on the Props' part not to change pre-existing devices, and for good reason. but adding a To Track button wouldn't affect any existing songs or anything like that -- just as the addition of the pre-fader buttons to the mixer didn't change any existing songs.

so: add a Slices To Track button to the NNXT! can i get a witness?
Old 2004-08-20, 11:05

Re: REX slices to track on NNXT

I do the same thing a lot, but I often load a different rex file to track than the one in the NNXT.
To audition this (which has unpredictable but sometimes interesting results), I have to

-create a NNXT and load a rex file
-create a dr. Rex
-load a rex-file in the Dr. Rex.
-switch focus to NNXT in the Sequencer
-Click To Track in the Dr. Rex
-Confirm that yes, it should go to the wrong track
-listen to the result.
-delete the data in the track
-repeat items 3-7 ad nauseam.
(this is the only time I leave the sequencer docked)

I'd like to see that they realize we put the rex files in the NNXT, and just have note and gate CV out from the Dr. Rex into the NNXT, then I could just load file after file and use the preview.
Old 2004-08-20, 14:12

the issue

While I agree this would be a nice little feature, the problem with the NNXT is it has no sequencing features. It just loads the samples as though it were a multi-patch. It has no concept of where the note triggers are and therefore couldn't generate the sequencer track.

I know what you mean about the many steps, but you're pretty much going to have to live with it.
Old 2004-08-20, 15:01

Re: the issue

While I agree this would be a nice little feature, the problem with the NNXT is it has no sequencing features. It just loads the samples as though it were a multi-patch. It has no concept of where the note triggers are and therefore couldn't generate the sequencer track.
:
...Which is why you should trigger the slices from Dr. Rex.
NNXT always loads the Rex files from C1 up, and then Dr. Rex could trigger them with note and gate CV output dedicated to the NNXT.

Old 2004-08-20, 16:28

Tormod, i understand what you're saying, but i disagree. using slices from one loop to play another loop is kind of a hack -- maybe a hack that often produces good results, and i'm certainly not saying you shouldn't do it -- just that it's not something most people do very often, and not something that needs to be built into the Reason architecture.

also, by the way, with a To Track button on the NNXT, you could:
-- load one loop into the NNXT;
-- click the To Track button;
-- delete the loop and load the next one;
-- hit play.

isn't that easier than routing CV from an unused Dr.REX?

Old 2004-08-20, 17:12

Nonono - I'm not saying that they should build something in to satisfy my fascination with the unexpected, but whether you play the "correct" loop or not, triggering the NNXT from the Dr. Rex would make things simpler to preview.
Besides, your suggestion wouldn't help, because it's the file playing the slices I want to keep auditioning, not the file being played. I load a harp, for instance, or strings, or the Clawfinger guitar, and then look for a loop that plays that in an interesting way.
If I could route CV from the Dr. Rex, I could hit Preview, and then just load file after file (one click per file)while it's running until my fantasy is fulfilled
Old 2004-08-23, 23:02

:While I agree this would be a nice little feature, the problem with the NNXT is it has no sequencing features.

HUH?

the NNXT does not have to have any 'sequencing features'... Reason is where the capabilities are...

so if you load a REX in to a NNXT and put a little 'preview rex' or 'rex to track' button on it Reason would just have to call the same software routine that a Dr.Rex uses to do it...

this is a naught-brainer...

the props could do this VERY easily - i mean VERY VERY easily... the 'hardest' part would be changing the graphics in the NNXT - and i could do that with my left hand while i was sleeping... (no offence to 'lefties' - i'm right-biased-dexterous)

etyrnity
Old 2004-08-25, 23:57

p.s. i meant to also AGREE that it would be a GREAT idea to be able to have the NNXT have this feature...

here's my vote... [x]
etyrnity