Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2005-01-04, 11:22

What if Reason 3 had an optional add on "Audio In" feature?

Dear Reason makers and users,

What if Reason Version 3.0 had an "Optional" add on "Audio In" feature for a small additional fee, that way people with the need for "Audio In" would have the option to purchase it seperately.

I'd also like to mention that there's a way to input audio into Reason 2.5, I have done it before, but the way I did it is not meant for this purpose, which in turn makes it pretty unconvenient to alter, edit, or ever re-record the audio you've inputted because you need a seperate program to record it with, such as "Pro Tools" or something similar, but it is possible, and may just work in certain situations. I inputted the audio through the NN-XT Remote Editor, which is the lower retractable part of the NN-XT, the part that opens up when you press the little arrow/triangle on the lower left-hand side of the NN-XT. Once you input your audio into the NN-XT, you can play your audio using a keyboard/midi controller.

What you need:

1. a microphone
2. a program to record audio with
3. a keyboard/midi controller

Like I said before, this method will only work in a limited number of situations and certainly won't eliminate the need/want for "Audio In".

Sincerely,
Dominik21
Old 2005-01-04, 18:07

Re: What if Reason 3 had an optional add on "Audio In" feature?

Where were all of you guys when I started a similar post? I thought I even came up with a clever name for it (Reason Added). Anyway, I'm in.

BTW-Are you saying that with your method I could record myself singing live thru the vocoder (by running the sampler output into it)?
Old 2005-01-04, 22:38

Dear modular7,

I just read your "Reason Added" post, I've also read many other posts regarding "Audio In", seems that a lot of people would like to see this become a reality. I think Asyncron said it perfectly when he replied to your post, this is what he said:

"I love Reason just the way it is.

And audio-in in Reason is never gonna happen.

What I think is going to happen is
that the Pheads will make this fantastic
piece of audio recording software with all the needed gadgery, that will integrate seemlessly with Reason.

It's my guess that this is what they have hired the 5 new programmers for.

That program I would buy.

Asyncron"

That's what he said, and I couldn't have worded it any better myself. Whether it's built directly into Reason or a stand alone software that integrates seamlessly with Reason, it doesn't matter to me, as long as they one day make "Audio In" a reality, all in good time of course. But for now, we're going to have to get along without it, after all, "Audio In" was never one of their primary goals, nor do I think, was their programming team big enough to have completed such an additional task. But now with the seemingly increasing demand for "Audio In", it should only be a matter of time before they gather their resources and put forth a plan of action to meet this new demand. Either way, I love Reason, even without "Audio In".

":BTW-Are you saying that with your method I could record myself singing live thru the vocoder (by running the sampler output into it)?"

That is not how I did it, so I couldn't tell you whether that is possible or not. I'll look into it though. I however, did not record myself live directly into Reason, I first recorded myself using a program called "Pro-Tools LE", then I took the audio that I first recorded through "Pro-Tools LE" and inserted it into the NN-XT. It's kind of funny because the only way to hear the vocals you've inputted into the NN-XT is to play them back using a keyboard/midi controller, which of course will increase or lower the pitch AND the speed of the your vocals depending on which key you strike on your keyboard, which can be pretty fun to play around with. I'd also like to mention something, let's say you've got a clip of yourself singing that's 30 seconds long, and you insert that clip into the NN-XT, in order the hear the full 30 seconds of the clip, you're gonna have to hold down a key on your keyboard for the entire 30 second duration.

Like I said in my previous post, this method is not exactly meant for vocals and will only work in a limited number of situations and certainly won't eliminate the need/want for "Audio In". But it can be a fun/alternative way to get some audio into your songs.

Sincerely,
Dominik21
Old 2005-01-05, 05:59

modular7-have you tried Live?

I think the problem is people get the live demo can't get it going right away and write it off. I would be hard pressed to imagine any program linking up more sympathetically with Reason. Give it a try and post your impressions...
Old 2005-01-06, 01:02

Re: modular7-have you tried Live?

Live is good, but there are still a lot of situations where you're gonna want to take your recordings from live and import them into an NN-XT, if for example you want to use any reason Fx on them.
Old 2005-01-06, 08:48

Never tried live, but...

I think the problem is people get the live demo can't get it going right away and write it off. I would be hard pressed to imagine any program linking up more sympathetically with Reason. Give it a try and post your impressions

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions. I currently use Cubase with Reason. I also use Acid and can't wait to get 5.0 so that I can rewire Acid, Reason and Cubase (WOW). It works great and I really love how it all works so great toghether. I've never tried live though I've been very curious. My thing is that I love the Reason modules and interface so much that I would love to just grab a mic or guitar and run it thru the modules. I like to duddle around with the sounds and that inspires the music I make. Recording the audio in a differnt app and then importing into the samplers in Reason is just to combersome ( and I have as of yet never done it and I've been aboard scince 1.0).
Old 2005-01-04, 23:57

Actually, you don't need a keyboard for this to work.

Dear modular7,

You don't actually need a keyboard/midi controller for this to work, it makes no difference whether you've got one or not, because it will work just fine without one.

Sincerely,
Dominik21
Old 2005-01-04, 23:59

Re: Actually, you don't need a keyboard for this to work.

Yeah, it works great for short guitar lines and vocals. Chop 'em up good!
-Ad
Old 2005-01-05, 11:05

Re: What if Reason 3 had an optional add on "Audio In" feature?

It has! It's called ReWire... If you want audio-in, go and buy Cubase or something.
Old 2005-01-06, 20:22

"It has! It's called ReWire... If you want audio-in, go and buy Cubase or something."

Dear RejectedMusic,

I don't have Cubase, but I do have Pro-Tools LE 6.4.

From what I know, I don't believe ReWire will allow me to input any sort of audio/vocals directly into Reason. I know I can import a song I created in Reason into Pro-Tools and add vocals/audio to it that way for example, which works really great, but I was just talking about the possibility of "Audio In" becoming a reality in Reason sometime in the future, which I certainly would not mind having. For now, there's always the option of inputting some audio/vocals by means of the NN-XT, that is, if you don't have Pro-Tools, Cubase, or a similar program.

Sincerely,
Dominik21