Propellerhead Software
Old 2005-02-10, 15:48

Reason and Horns Sounds

My son as a ProTools LE setup with Reason Adapted. We are anxiously awaiting 3.0 to upgrade!

But I have a question about horns sounds and Reason. He wanted to buy a high-end keyboard that create great horn sounds for recording. I told him I thought he could get by with simply a lower price keyboard that just acted as a controller because Reason could make the same or higher quality horn sounds. Plus, in the future it would be easier to add new/better sounds to the computer than to the keyboard.

I'm not up on all this, so I'm hoping someone here can tell me if what I'm saying is accurate. Can Reason fulfill his need to record high quality horns as would a fancy keyboard? And, if so, are there links to any music on the web that would show this off?
Old 2005-02-10, 16:03
mowgul

Re: Reason and Horns Sounds

There are so many great sounding sample cd's with horns on them. You could simply have a look at Akai sample cd's as you can use them in reason.

As far as quality goes. It is simply up to you you can buy them ranging from 40$ for the cheaper refills...till 1500$ for the top end orchestral sample cd's.

There's no justification for buying a fancy hardware keyboard just for horn sounds.

I think that you are right and that your son simply has to listen to you, you're the father after all...
Old 2005-02-10, 16:16

So the samples don't need to be "built-for-Reason" right. Just get wav's and import them?

Nothing built into Reason, though, right?

There are so many great sounding sample cd's with horns on them. You could simply have a look at Akai sample cd's as you can use them in reason.
:
:As far as quality goes. It is simply up to you you can buy them ranging from 40$ for the cheaper refills...till 1500$ for the top end orchestral sample cd's.
:
:There's no justification for buying a fancy hardware keyboard just for horn sounds.
:
:I think that you are right and that your son simply has to listen to you, you're the father after all...
Old 2005-02-10, 17:12

So the samples don't need to be "built-for-Reason" right. Just get wav's and import them?
:
:Nothing built into Reason, though, right?

No, both the Orkestra and Factory Soundbanks which ship with 3.0 include various horns samples for the NN19 and NNXT samplers (Orchestral Brass, Muted Trumpets, Saxes, etc.). You could try these first then upgrade if necessary. The NNXT sampler accepts standard sample formats like WAV as well as soundfonts, so you don't have necessarily to buy NNXT patches when uprgrading.

Of course, creating good horn sections is not only dependent on the quality of samples you use. Check this article out for some of the MIDI trickery that you can use to get your horns sounding more convincing: http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/real/1.asp
hr br Jazz Monkeys Chord Melody Guitar Arrangements br hr
Old 2005-02-10, 17:47

Thanks for the link. I'll go read it.

Another question: Since I'm waiting for Reason 3.0 to upgrade from the Reason Adpated we have now, can any smapels we get to use in Adapted be still used in Reason? Is it even worth trying to create horn sounds in Adapted?