Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2005-05-10, 17:12

Do people know what techno is???

.. I mean, where's the the "Chris Liebing, Marco Bailey, Umek, Gaetano Parisio, Glenn Wilson"-like music? It sure isn't in the techno section of the song archive. All I find there is electro/experimental/trance.

So again: Do people know what techno is?

Sure the official meaning of techno is: "music based on technical gear". But what isn't these days. The old phrase 'techno' has evolved into 100's of styles. Today techno means: rolling stomping energetic songs with great emphasis on the beat, mostly around 130-140 bpm. Trance is melodic, electro isn't rolling and stomping, experimantal is just wierd (otherwise it wouldn't be experimental).

It's not that I want to put all songs into boxes like: that's trance, that's techno etc. , there are always mixes of styles possible. But when you search for techno tracks in the song archive it's very disapointing. Music is to easaly labeled 'techno'.
Old 2005-05-10, 18:07

Re: Do people know what techno is???

Techno:
A hundred styles of
Rolling,
Stomping,
Energetic,
Emphasize Beats...

(just taking notes here. Genres confuse me)
Old 2005-05-10, 22:19

considering i was around before the 1st tb 303 was invented i think i know what techno is. i know what you mean about names but in my book techno is electro, dance is remixed disco and the stlye your after is hard dance with a simple melody and techno sounds thrown in.
if a dj with the iq of a dead monkey can make 4/4 hard core/dance what does that tell you. not all electro is strange just us freaks that make it
Old 2005-05-11, 01:15

I'll still have to disagree.

Just listen to the Dr. Rex drumloops in the Factory Refill. Compare the techno-loops there with the 'techno'-songs in the archive. It's not the same at all!

Also compare the techno-loops with the electronical-loops. Not very very very different but still: different.

One more thing, should I interpret your last 2 lines as this: the style I'm looking for is electro, but then by dumb people??? If this is what you mean, I'm very offended...
Old 2005-05-11, 22:01

did not mean to offend. i like taking the piss out of the dummy sucking whistle blowing white glove raver types, not all is shit i once had the platypus albums and some of carlcox but all that hard core you know the score is shit. the only people i see playing that type of music is the little robbing car thiefs from run down housing estates. if your 1 of these dummys i 100% take the piss. if not im sorry and ill get my mate to punch me in the head on your behalf.
Old 2005-05-12, 19:01

I'm very sorry this is the only kind of people you see that love hardcore... but that wasn't the subject. Techno is... *sign*, whatever. I did not mean the distorted-909-basedrum 180-220bpm kinda music.
Prejudice is kinda wrong, having prejudice of group of people 1 and on group of people 2 is just... well.... weird I suppose .

Anyway I'm not one of those you mean so no damage done. Time to call your mate....

Greetings,

Wouter

PS. Wanting (actually doing so is another story) to take the piss out of someone who's a criminal is fine by me, but not over the internet. You just don't know what kinda person you're talking to man...
Old 2005-05-12, 21:29

who cares what kinda people your talking to. they cant do nothing. thats half the fun of piss taking on the internet. come on man you must agree, if some grown up twat goes to a night club sucking a dummy wearing silly hats and white gloves is asking for it big time, if that means im prejudice so be it. you will find that 50% of them criminal scum are living off the system and the other 49% are just plain thick, they cant even string a sentence together apart from sorted man you know the score hardcore e'd up loved up tenner bag of smack.
its a cheap common fashon where scum who have no futer can walk around thinking there cool if it was up to me i would wipe them out hitler style and restore the british gene pool to its former strengh. ps what can people do about piss taking, put a virtual bullit in my head lol

Old 2005-05-10, 23:37

Techno is exactly what is says on the tin: Technology!!! Reason is cutting edge technology for the future and involves functionality which can not be paralleled by hardware unless you want to spend an entire bank on it!

With more and more possibilities coming to light with each new release of Reason, the inevitable is that serious exploitation of technology (which is techno) will often be experimental. Therefore, techno music will continually change if it is to be techno on a continual basis.

Also, hardware as you know it today will take a back seat in the near future - better software, better soundcards, better midi controllers, digital mixers (with motorised faders), and 5.1 mixing will be the way of the future mate! Music producers will gain more and more control over sound, so again, cutting edge music (techno) will keep evolving as technology does!

Cheers!

Dance FX 21
Be on the Beat!
Old 2005-05-11, 01:27

Your interpretation of techno seems out of date to me, this way techno is continuasly something else. I prefer the styles as they sound in the Dr. REX loops in the factory refill.
Old 2005-05-11, 15:37
shambles5

i love techno, any of you guys like phil kieran, great techno producer from northern ireland