Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2005-09-20, 14:19

Notebook advice for Reason 3

Does anyone have any advice for me re: buying a notebook (not mac) that will give great performance with reason 3. I'm upgrading my PC and would prefer to go mobile rather than another desktop, but I'm concerned about mobile performance - having heard about R3 'hunger' issues!

Has anyone got a great setup they can recommend or perhaps some good advice?

Thanks

P
Listen to Portal at Broadjam
Old 2005-09-20, 14:46

Re: Notebook advice for Reason 3

Assuming you'll go with Intel (I dunno, does AMD even make mobile processors?), there are two options: The Pentium-M (aka "Centrino") or the mobile Pentium 4.

The mobile P4 is on its way out. It's a power guzzling monster that needs lots of cooling and eats your battery in no time - the laptop equivalent of a Humvee. It runs at higher clock frequencies than Pentium-M, but since the M works faster at a ratio of about 1.5:1, you need a 3 GHz P4 to beat a 2 GHz Pentium-M.

I would therefore recommend a Pentium-M machine. The ideal choice would be the 2.0 GHz chip - you can get a 2.26 GHz but it costs loads more and you get very little for it. Make sure it has the faster 533 MHz front side bus and not the older 400 MHz you will find on some budget choices. Also make sure it has at least a 5400 RPM hard drive, not 4200 RPM. There are 7200 RPM drives too (this is what your desktop's drive runs at) but they are not yet able to hold as much data as the 5400 RPM drives.

Brands? Yikes, there are hundreds... but I would look at Sony, Dell or HP. The ultimate desktop replacement for the moment is probably the Sony Vaio AX600 with 17" 1920x1200 screen. If that's out of your price range, look at Dell Inspiron 6000. If you want to go lower still, I'm not sure... maybe Compaq or Acer.

Just avoid Celeron processors. And you might wanna look into external soundcards too, the onboard chip is usually crap.
Old 2005-09-20, 20:45

Assuming you'll go with Intel (I dunno, does AMD even make mobile processors?), there are two options: The Pentium-M (aka "Centrino") or the mobile Pentium 4.
:
:The mobile P4 is on its way out. It's a power guzzling monster that needs lots of cooling and eats your battery in no time - the laptop equivalent of a Humvee. It runs at higher clock frequencies than Pentium-M, but since the M works faster at a ratio of about 1.5:1, you need a 3 GHz P4 to beat a 2 GHz Pentium-M.
:
:I would therefore recommend a Pentium-M machine. The ideal choice would be the 2.0 GHz chip - you can get a 2.26 GHz but it costs loads more and you get very little for it. Make sure it has the faster 533 MHz front side bus and not the older 400 MHz you will find on some budget choices. Also make sure it has at least a 5400 RPM hard drive, not 4200 RPM. There are 7200 RPM drives too (this is what your desktop's drive runs at) but they are not yet able to hold as much data as the 5400 RPM drives.
:
:Brands? Yikes, there are hundreds... but I would look at Sony, Dell or HP. The ultimate desktop replacement for the moment is probably the Sony Vaio AX600 with 17" 1920x1200 screen. If that's out of your price range, look at Dell Inspiron 6000. If you want to go lower still, I'm not sure... maybe Compaq or Acer.
:
:Just avoid Celeron processors. And you might wanna look into external soundcards too, the onboard chip is usually crap.

Thanks for taking the time to give that great advice. I'm in for more money now tho! Sony, over here in th UK do a model (VGNA417S) for a heart stopping
Old 2005-09-20, 20:54

: Sony, over here in th UK do a model (VGNA417S) for a heart stopping
Old 2005-09-21, 08:13

yeah, most Centrinos are good. with the Sony you pay for the design as well.

my Sony is still doing create but I do notice the battery dying out a bit. over 2 years of use.
melodiefabriek - v 2.1
Old 2005-09-20, 21:19

Does anyone have any advice for me re: buying a notebook (not mac) that will give great performance with reason 3. I'm upgrading my PC and would prefer to go mobile rather than another desktop, but I'm concerned about mobile performance - having heard about R3 'hunger' issues!
:
:Has anyone got a great setup they can recommend or perhaps some good advice?
:
:Thanks
:
:P

I got a Toshiba satelite pro with a centrino 1.6, about the equivilent to a P4 3.4GHz. When I got it over 6 months ago I did some research and it was a toss up between this and the Sony VAIO, but decided on the Toshiba because of it's reputation the fact it's well built. I've dropped it a few times and it's fine. There's good deals on a 1.7 GHz (link below) The drives are 5200 so you may need to add an external drive for recording if you do lots of audio tracks.

[url=http://www.technoworld.com/productdisplay.asp?ProductID=28044]Toshiba Satelite pro
Old 2005-09-20, 21:26

more here...

Old 2005-09-21, 10:22

Based on my own experiences I can highly recommend the Dell Inspiron 6000. It's cheap, robust, has a bright display with a big resolution and is (especially with Reason) fast like hell (with Pentium M).

The internal soundchip works great with the free ASIO4ALL driver (latency 6 ms).
Old 2005-09-21, 16:40

Yeah, I'd say the best advice is not to spend too much money.
Old 2005-09-21, 20:31

The Athlon way.

I use an Athlon 3000 (64 bit) laptop I bought form the good guys at Watford Electronics:

http://www.savastore.com/default.aspx?cdlrelease=2

Check them out - they have some really good deals on decent spec laptops.

I recently upgraded to V3.0 of Reason, and I've had no problems with power drainage or anything like that. The lappy I use has 512mb of Ram which does admirably (even running ReBirth in the background) - but don't go any lower. If anything, double up to 1024 if you can.

So yeah, Athlon lappy's are fine. Cheaper than their Intel brothers too.

Ian.