Propellerhead Software
Old 2006-04-09, 00:21
mikHatz

Reason 3 Slaved to Live 5 MIDI Problem

Hello,

Did a bunch of searches here and couldnt find anything on the subject, but if i missed something please post a link to the thread.
Been using Reason and Live for a while now. Have a kontrol 49 hooked up to my machine- WinXP pro- athlon 3700 64.
Basically all i want to be able to do is have reason 3.04 slaved through Live 5.03 and be able to use the knobs and sliders on my kontrol 49 to tweak parameters in reasons devices.
Anyway, In Live 5.03 i have it set up so MIDI is comming from the kontrol 49 and going to preferred reason inst or effect in Reason. Keyboard works fine as does pitch and mod wheel( im guessing all Standard MIDI cc's ) but when trying to use the knobs and sliders on my kontrol49 when reason is in Slave( rewire mode ) cant get any of the knobs or sliders to do anything in reason 3. Then when i try to override( using Learn from MIDI ) any of the knobs on reason devices it doesnt even get any MIDI input. Also when loading up Reason 3.04 in Rewire slave Mode i always get the messages" coulnt set up control surfaces properly" some of the devices were not found"....
Ive tried a bunch of different settings with the kontrol 49 in sending out encoders and knob data on different virtual ports, but still nothing. For instance having the keyboard data( notes ) going through Port 1 through Live 5 then having knobs and sliders going through port 2 directly to reason( bypassing Live ) still nothing, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MIK
Old 2006-04-09, 00:43
mikHatz

Re: Reason 3 Slaved to Live 5 MIDI Problem

: Hello,
:
: Did a bunch of searches here and couldnt find anything on the subject, but if i missed something please post a link to the thread.
: Been using Reason and Live for a while now. Have a kontrol 49 hooked up to my machine- WinXP pro- athlon 3700 64.
: Basically all i want to be able to do is have reason 3.04 slaved through Live 5.03 and be able to use the knobs and sliders on my kontrol 49 to tweak parameters in reasons devices.
: Anyway, In Live 5.03 i have it set up so MIDI is comming from the kontrol 49 and going to preferred reason inst or effect in Reason. Keyboard works fine as does pitch and mod wheel( im guessing all Standard MIDI cc's ) but when trying to use the knobs and sliders on my kontrol49 when reason is in Slave( rewire mode ) cant get any of the knobs or sliders to do anything in reason 3. Then when i try to override( using Learn from MIDI ) any of the knobs on reason devices it doesnt even get any MIDI input. Also when loading up Reason 3.04 in Rewire slave Mode i always get the messages" coulnt set up control surfaces properly" some of the devices were not found"....
: Ive tried a bunch of different settings with the kontrol 49 in sending out encoders and knob data on different virtual ports, but still nothing. For instance having the keyboard data( notes ) going through Port 1 through Live 5 then having knobs and sliders going through port 2 directly to reason( bypassing Live ) still nothing, any help would be greatly appreciated.
:
: Thanks,
: MIK

edit-----

ok, i found a way to do it, basically you just set your knobs and sliders to send out the proper MIDI cc's fro the Reason MIDI implementation chart...Works OK.

Is there anoher way to do it with the reason 2 and under way where you just riht click on a reasoon knob and then do MIDI learn?

MIK
Old 2006-04-12, 09:23

: ok, i found a way to do it, basically you just set your knobs and sliders to send out the proper MIDI cc's fro the Reason MIDI implementation chart...Works OK.

Sorry you had to reply to your own post The problem as I see it, is that Reason should treat midi rewire in as a control surface. Then you could pass the midi controller through Live and still get all the advantages of Remote. I asked for it as a feature suggestion and it didn't get any response.

B
Old 2006-04-12, 22:16
mikHatz

: : ok, i found a way to do it, basically you just set your knobs and sliders to send out the proper MIDI cc's fro the Reason MIDI implementation chart...Works OK.
:
:
: Sorry you had to reply to your own post The problem as I see it, is that Reason should treat midi rewire in as a control surface. Then you could pass the midi controller through Live and still get all the advantages of Remote. I asked for it as a feature suggestion and it didn't get any response.
:
: B
:

Thanks for your reply, i think now that i have the hang of the reWire slave thingie i like it better than the reMote, you can just assign what you want, whereas remote- i still havent gotten the hang of it( also i havent read the manual about ReMote either ).