Propellerhead Software
Old 2007-01-04, 08:41
Arriah

Doubt about buying Reason...

Hello guys,

I would like to ask a question, that I could not find in the forums. I am about to upgrade my music equipment and with that also to upgrade the software. A friend of mine very much advises me to buy the Propellerheads Reason, though there are a few thing which confuse me...
I have gone through a couple of tutorials to get basic idea of the capabilities of Reason and there are things that are very cleverly made and I like, but also, there are things that I need and I could not find. That is why I am in doubt...

As a live musician I very often improvise playing an instrument with my hands, while the computer programming loops. So far I have been using a custom programmed software that allowed me to play loop after loop but I could not find this capability in Reason documentation:

To be perfectly clear: what I do is prepare a number of loops and then start playing them. Sometimes I need a pre-programmed 4bar group to play infinitely while I improvise and by a click from a MIDI control survace to go on to the next or some other 4 (8 or whatever) bar group and repeat, until again I press a button. So far I have compositions using more than 50 different 4bar groups that need to be played in different order. However from what I have seen from the tutorials and documentation it is only possible to put thing in the Sequencer and play them either in loop mode (i.e. looping certain number of bars) or "streaming" it from end to end. Note that during performance my hands are busy and I cannot control the sequencer manually.

The second thing I very much need, but it is not so crucial - maybe it would be better to buy a hardware module for that - it the "loop station" capability. i.e. I would like to play something realtime and then while the computer is repeating it, I would improvise overdubbing the sounds I have played previously.

I am pretty aware that Ableton Live has both these capabilities, but it is much more expensive and if Reason has those I would rather buy it.

Regards!
Old 2007-01-04, 13:29

Re: Doubt about buying Reason...

Sorry, but what you describe and expect from Reason in this post is actually a description of a program called "Ableton Live"

Go for that one.

burps
Old 2007-01-04, 15:11

: mate

LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6 LIVE 6

cheers
max

: Sorry, but what you describe and expect from Reason in this post is actually a description of a program called "Ableton Live"
:
: Go for that one.
:
: burps
Old 2007-01-04, 15:21

You can do all that ye want in Reason, but the aforementioned will indeed do ye the best service, squire.
Old 2009-02-11, 17:44

Forward wind to todays tools.

It's a funny one this one.

I personally don't think Propellerheads are doing themselves any favours sticking to their development guns, with long periods between updates and their adamant stance in regards to not implementing audio, so much so, that it looks as if I shall be selling my Reason license quite soon. (I shall also be getting rid of quite a few NI licenses for that matter) and going the Ableton route, seeing as their next incarnation of Live is quite incredible to say the least.

Reason is great for what it is, namely a "not quite, but almost all-in-one music making package" but the items it lacks can be found in many other packages, with Ableton offering the most innovative answers for making music.

I'm sure R5 will offer some great new additions but if you want audio recording, looping and the possibility of adding your own functions to your set-up and you want it soon, then Propellerheads lose the race by quite a few lengths.

Last edited by sijarvis; 2009-02-11 at 17:45. Reason: wet myself
Old 2009-02-11, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijarvis View Post
It's a funny one this one.

I personally don't think Propellerheads are doing themselves any favours sticking to their development guns, with long periods between updates and their adamant stance in regards to not implementing audio, so much so, that it looks as if I shall be selling my Reason license quite soon.
My god, does your whining EVER stop?
Old 2009-02-12, 03:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriah View Post
Hello guys,

I would like to ask a question, that I could not find in the forums. I am about to upgrade my music equipment and with that also to upgrade the software. A friend of mine very much advises me to buy the Propellerheads Reason, though there are a few thing which confuse me...
I have gone through a couple of tutorials to get basic idea of the capabilities of Reason and there are things that are very cleverly made and I like, but also, there are things that I need and I could not find. That is why I am in doubt...

As a live musician I very often improvise playing an instrument with my hands, while the computer programming loops. So far I have been using a custom programmed software that allowed me to play loop after loop but I could not find this capability in Reason documentation:

To be perfectly clear: what I do is prepare a number of loops and then start playing them. Sometimes I need a pre-programmed 4bar group to play infinitely while I improvise and by a click from a MIDI control survace to go on to the next or some other 4 (8 or whatever) bar group and repeat, until again I press a button. So far I have compositions using more than 50 different 4bar groups that need to be played in different order. However from what I have seen from the tutorials and documentation it is only possible to put thing in the Sequencer and play them either in loop mode (i.e. looping certain number of bars) or "streaming" it from end to end. Note that during performance my hands are busy and I cannot control the sequencer manually.

The second thing I very much need, but it is not so crucial - maybe it would be better to buy a hardware module for that - it the "loop station" capability. i.e. I would like to play something realtime and then while the computer is repeating it, I would improvise overdubbing the sounds I have played previously.

I am pretty aware that Ableton Live has both these capabilities, but it is much more expensive and if Reason has those I would rather buy it.

Regards!
Go with Live. None of us get paid if you get Reason or not.
Cheers