Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2007-05-23, 22:52

Reason needs more CV processing devices (IMHO)

Please check the next posts for some examples:
Old 2007-05-23, 23:05

MicroTuner / MIDI sniffer / NoteDetector

::

A MicroTuner, MIDI sniffer/capture and NoteDetector device

MicroTuning would enable the design of ethnic instruments with the available or future synths without resorting to the NN19 or NN-XT with sample by sample micro-tuning.

MIDI sniffing/capturing would enable further processing of the available MIDI data as CV data. This device would act like an instrument, but instead of audio it would output CV data.

NoteDetection would be used to catch specific notes and trigger other CV aware devices. Multiple devices of this type each with a specific note range inside a Combinator would give access to the entire keyboard for further CV processing or instrument triggering.

Update:

Both MicroTuner and NoteDetector would work with any octave (unless restricted to a note range inside a Combinator).

If I detune D# and A# with MicroTuner, this would detune every D# and A# fed through the Note CV input (or MIDI captured), across all available octaves.

The same with NoteDetector, if I connect a cable from C to a ReDrum gate input, every C note across all octaves would trigger that gate, unless (again) if range restricted inside a Combinator.

ok, I guess that's enough babling for now
more suggestions for the Combinator & Matrix ...

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2009-04-14 at 11:44. Reason: added more info
Old 2007-05-23, 23:15

ReChordinator / DeChordinator

::

I know the name is weird but the important thing is the function

If Reason had such a device, it would be easy to implement a true Arpeggiator, among other more complex tricks.

In case of a true Arpeggiator, it wouldn't be user friendly to do the pattern design with 16 Matrix devices, each connected to one individual CV output, but it would be possible do to, nonetheless. Right now, and if I'm not mistaken, it's impossible to do a true arpeggiator.
Right now, we can only do pseudo-Arpeggiators.
Old 2007-05-25, 23:59

MIDI2CV device (in mono note CV scenario)

:

If having poly note CV signals is an awkward concept (basically a MIDI signal disguised as a CV cable) or not desirable then one way to still access that data would be to have a device acting like a mute instrument just to capture MIDI data and translate it to note/gate CV signals and CV values for MIDI CC's
Old 2007-06-09, 19:44

Proof-of-Concept: Example of an almost True-Arpeggiator

: a device acting like a mute instrument just to capture MIDI data and translate it to note/gate CV signals and CV values for MIDI CC's
:

If Reason had such a device, together with the suggested Spider CV II a True-Arpeggiator could be done (among other more complex and cool things).

If no new devices are possible, at least the suggested feature of a Transpose setting for each device inside a Combinator would help. One would transpose various Vocoders acting almost like a MIDI2CV (lacking note value and order though). The note value and order are very important for a true arpeggiator, of course.

This proof-of-concept has to deal with the lack of such suggested devices as:

Spider CV II's note chooser: by having an instrument for each note. A stupid solution, but that's the only way to deal with the absence of a CV note "chooser" like the Spider CV II.

MIDI2CV's note order: by assuming some default note order. This is what it makes this an *almost* and not a really true-arpeggiator, because there's no way to detect the order of the notes beeing played.

MIDI2CV's note value: by generating a note value for each of the possible to detect notes. Again, a stupid solution, but there's no other way to simulate this.

MIDI2CV's full range detection: by restricting the possible note range to C1-D#2. This is the current maximum note range any available device with CV trigger output. If the Combinator had a Transpose setting, I could've stacked a bunch of transposed Vocoders to cover the full note range... making this a monster combi :P

Anyway, at least I hope this example makes others look at the Vocoder and ReDrum for other uses, such as note2trigger detection (a third of what a MIDI2CV would do).

Ok, to use this combi, you need to press "Run Pattern Devices" and try playing a C1 major chord, then a D1 minor chord, then try others withing the C1-D#2 note range. Not every combination will sound right. Read the explanation above to know why.

Enjoy
Example of an almost True-Arpeggiator (KXX-001)

(old link:
Easy to program pseudo-Arpeggiator)

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2009-04-14 at 11:47. Reason: Link correction
Old 2007-05-26, 00:13

MicroTuner / NoteDetector device (in mono note CV scenario)

:

Again, in a mono note CV scenario, this device should be more like the picture above.

up to 32 devices of this type, each connected to an output of the MIDI2CV device (for up to 32 note polyphony), inside a Combinator (for note range control) would let us make a custom scale, opening up the chance for non-western instrument emulation with the available synths

It could also be used to "surgical" detuning on mono sequenced lines or note detection for even more complex CV processing, like dynamically adapted chord-making Combinators and/or "auto-bass" lines.

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2009-04-14 at 11:48. Reason: typos
Old 2007-05-27, 19:28

All looks very whizzy

This all looks very whizzy and I am sure you could do lots with it. Some of it was a bit over my head so prehaps (if you can be bothered) you could explain a bit more.

I still like the idea of adding a very simple feature to the matrix, a new switch on the back that does "the magic" that you posted in your combinator file.

There is still the issue however of being able to trigger the matrix so that the arpeg starts when you press the key.
Old 2007-05-27, 21:26

Yes, new Arp-mode added to the Matrix is very welcome!

: This all looks very whizzy and I am sure you could do lots with it. Some of it was a bit over my head so prehaps (if you can be bothered) you could explain a bit more.
:

hmmm... I'll try to come up with some of the uses one could have to those suggested devices that is easy to compare with existing devices.
I'll post about it soon... although, this is a bit of a "lost cause" since we're just talking to ourselves here ;P

: I still like the idea of adding a very simple feature to the matrix, a new switch on the back that does "the magic" that you posted in your combinator file.
:

Sure, I still like the idea of an arpeggiator mode added to the Matrix.
This would solve the lack of a true arpeggiator.

Adding a simple switch to turn on Relative (delta) vs Absolute Note values wouldn't make it a true arpeggiator, and besides, this is already possible to make with the available devices (as I demonstrated)

But, even with a new true Arp mode, and depending on the CV outs added to this new version of Matrix, there would still be some cool things impossible to do, like detecting the type of chord (major, minor, etc) being played for further CV processing (think of auto-accompainment or dinamic bass-line or more complex things)

hmmm... hey! I just got an idea to do a Note Detector with the available devices !!! I'm going to work on it right away, to see if it works.

: There is still the issue however of being able to trigger the matrix so that the arpeg starts when you press the key.

While in Arp mode, the Matrix would act like one and not simple like, so this should be covered ...besides, various mode could be added to the designed arp pattern, like single-shot, forward (the default), reverse, ping-pong (or pendulum), etc...
Old 2007-05-27, 22:45

Combinator needs Transpose for each Key Mapping range!!!

: Each device inside a Combinator, besides the note range (Key Mapping), also needs a Transpose setting.

This would enable simple keyboard control of fixed note range devices like the ReDrum, Dr.Rex, etc.

It would also be easier to quickly transpose regular instrument devices without changing the loaded Patch.

I keep forgetting to make this suggestion, but remembered this again while trying to do a little proof-of-concept of what a NoteDetector would be like, by using a Combinator and a stack of ReDrums.
If Transpose was available, I could use a desired range of keys with various ReDrums, each with a key range assigned and transposed to the range required by ReDrum to trigger the 10 CV outs.

If I'm not mistaken, this very "simple" feature would also enable the "construction" of:

1) The MIDI2CV device: although through a very complex setup of Transposed ReDrums, Matrix and lots of Spider CVs inside a Combinator (this would be a huge and complex combinator)

2) The NoteDetector: again through the use of lots of Transposed ReDrums

3) The MicroTuner: even this one could be done, joining the NoteDetector technic with some Matrix (as detune value seeds) affecting the OSC Pitch only when triggered by the desired notes.

So, although possible, each Combinator emulating these devices would be a monster "machine" but... possible to do, nonetheless :P

...and all this by simply adding the Transpose setting to each Key Mapping inside a Combinator!

oh, BTW, it would be nice if Cominator had a Note/Gate CV output besides the existing input.
Old 2007-05-31, 00:11

Spider CV II (still in the current mono note CV scenario)

: The current Spider CV could be extended to do much more CV processing, without breaking backwards compatibility.

The Merger section could have some "Pick/Choose" modes, besides the current add-only CV signals merge mode.

Modes like "Pick the lowest signal from the 4 CV inputs" or "the highest", "the newest" so it would output always the most recent CV signal from the 4 and even an "oldest" to only output the oldest signal. Maybe this last mode could even act like a Hold CV signal.

There's no CV Envelope device (I tried using the SubTractor's [MOD CV input]+[MOD Env]+[MOD CV output] but it doesn't work that way, i.e. as a shaper of the incoming CV signal).

So, the Splitter section could do more to the copies of the signal it splits.

Each available splitted CV output could have alternate modes that could be turned on/off (also through automation and Combinator buttons).

For instance, besides the Invert (ON by default) it could also have:

1) a Cut mode to stop an incoming CV signal from reaching the output, when on.

2) a Hold mode to keep sending a copy of the last value even after the signal "dies/stops" (turning the mode off would reset the value sampled).

3) a CV signal shaper. Square by default, it could be set to a Saw shape, exactly like what the ReDrum does to the incoming CV signal.
If this duplicate function is not desirable (because we can already do this through a ReDrum and the Saw shape can be turned into a Ramp through an Invert) other shapes could used, like Square morphable to a Triangle shape ?
Or a CV detector so it would output only 2 CV values: 0 or a defined CV value triggered each time a CV!=0 was detected.

As I said, all these buttons/knobs should be recordable in a sequencer track as automation data and also be available to the Combinator Buttons/Knobs to be truly usefull.

These are just sugestions/ideas to add various simple CV processors, the same way there are various "simple" sound effect devices currently.

A more generic and complex all-in-one but still user-friendly CV processing device would be great of course, one that included some of the functions described in earlier posts, including a CV Envelope / CV Signal shaper and flexible enough to build Combinators that work like a true arpeggiator, or even (why not) an automatic-bass-line follower
At least, we can currently do pseudo-Arpeggiators