Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2007-10-01, 04:05

Is there a way to NOT use Clips in sequencer

I dont like how this new sequencer revolves around clips. I liked it before when i just recorded and could work with the whole thing without having to click through each sub division of the track im recording to.

Say im playing a piano riff, now say i overdub 6 times. In 3.0 i could work on the whole section the entire time. Now i must click through 6 different sub divisions of my riff. It's really annoying, messy and slowing my work process down.

Also, say i play a riff on bars 1-4. Then play another riff on bars 5-8. Now i want to put the riff on bars 5-8 on top of the riff on bars 1-4 so both riffs will play together. Well with everything in clips i can nolonger do that, riff 5-8 will go over 1-4 entirely deleting everything i had in 1-4. I know i can copy paste it within the track but its still an annoyance that did not exist in previous versions.

I love all the other additions to sequencer but i hate working in clips like this. anyway to not have everything in clips like before?
THE BEST MUSIC DONE ON REASON PERIOD
Old 2007-10-01, 04:07

Re: Is there a way to NOT use Clips in sequencer

i like using clips when putting together the entire track. But they are really pissing me off within the piano roll
THE BEST MUSIC DONE ON REASON PERIOD
Old 2007-10-01, 18:08
TranceSWE

I agree with this. One of the reasons I don't use Cubase is that you must create a MIDI clip first. But I rarely know what I am going to do, or how long it is going to be, when I start.

It's just weird that they couldn't add a preferences thing to keep the Piano roll editing the way it was before. They could still have multiple takes within a MIDI track etc, and clips could still be there when you drag and sequence from the arrange view. But I don't want the clips interfering when I edit in the piano roll. Just the Clip indicators at the top of the PIANo roll to show you where a clip starts and another stops would be fine.

Also the zoom behavior needs a "classic mode" switch somewhere.

The props always have had this "backwards-compatible" thing, yet they don't have any "classic behavior" options for the bigger changes.

The reason I love working with Reason before was that you could just add a combinator, go to the piano roll and start mousing in notes. Now I need to create a clip, and hazzle with those.
Old 2007-10-01, 22:17

: Also the zoom behavior needs a "classic mode" switch somewhere.

I don't think the "new mode" will be needed at all -- I doubt anyone has developed an attachment to a design bug. They just need to fix it so that it centers on the song position pointer. Then we won't need a classic mode, because in previous versions it zoomed in on the left edge of the current view which was better than now but not as useful as zooming in on the 'playhead'.
Old 2007-10-01, 19:11

Hi I just got the upgrade today. I don't normally post on the message board, I just read the posts but the first thing that hit me was this change that has been mentioned in the post I'm replying to.

I've been an owner of reason from day one and the one thing I loved and what keeps me using reason all the time is the ease and fun of how the piano roll screen works. All the other apps that have come and gone had the pattern based thing and I really can't get on with that at all! Is there anyway to activate a classic mode or something in reason 4 to get rid of the pattern thing?

I've only just got the upgrade today and know I should read the new manual but I was shocked straight away after cranking it up for the first time at this new pattern based nightmare.
Old 2007-10-01, 20:44

Well I've given it the go since my initial shock and can see it's not as bad as I first thought. The clips are ok and in time I'm sure I will get used to them. I thought at first it was going to be pattern based like other apps (shudders)

Has the sound engine been upped/made better. Seems to be a nicer sound to 4?
Old 2007-10-25, 05:15

The Propellerheads losing users....

: I become desperate when I think about this major change coming up with Reason 4.

Clips are absolutely useless when you produce music that is not (necessarily) pattern based, like NuJazz/BrokenBeat etc...if I was one of these technoheads it wouldn't be a problem.
But when I edit complex breakbeat structures the clip-feature makes me go totally crazy.The new sequencer lost a lot of it's freedom...

I work with Reason since 5 years now and never thought that this would change.
BUT NOW I HAVE SERIOUSLY TO THINK ABOUT ALTERNATIVES!!!!! Did you get this, Props? I always recommended Reason to people around me but I can't do this anymore. Clips changed my whole (musical)life into the negative...THX for that :-( Spended a lot money for such a trouble.
Old 2007-10-25, 15:05

Propellerheads, You Can't Please Everybody

Clips are great, well the concept at least. I do agree it needs some tweaking but please don't be discouraged by these threats. I, like many others, believe that you're going in the right direction.
Old 2007-10-25, 20:24

Re: Propellerheads, You Can't Please Everybody

: Clips are great, well the concept at least. I do agree it needs some tweaking but please don't be discouraged by these threats. I, like many others, believe that you're going in the right direction.

yeah i agree clips are good! But what most people are asking for is you should have a choice of using them or being able to use the older method ..a classic mode of sorts... im not to bothered about them myself! but i know alot of people who are having a hard time with them ... maybe a patch to choose between the two modes would be cool
Old 2007-11-24, 22:32

A Choice.. That's all we ask (N/T)

: : Clips are great, well the concept at least. I do agree it needs some tweaking but please don't be discouraged by these threats. I, like many others, believe that you're going in the right direction.
:
:
: yeah i agree clips are good! But what most people are asking for is you should have a choice of using them or being able to use the older method ..a classic mode of sorts... im not to bothered about them myself! but i know alot of people who are having a hard time with them ... maybe a patch to choose between the two modes would be cool