Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-02-13, 19:38

Mastering in Reason 6?

Is there a way to master in Reason and take it right to CD? If not anyone recommend any good mastering programs? Thanks.
Old 2012-02-13, 23:12

Reason 6 has all the tools required for making a mix ready for release. The biggest question is whether you have monitors and an acoustic space that will allow you to make the tweaks required (and perhaps the ears and experience??).

The rule of thumb is leave mastering to the experts. But, after hearing some current releases with so called 'state of the art mastering', I would say that you could not possibly do any worse yourself. Just remember to keep the bass frequencies under control. Also try listening to your mixes on all your playback gear, so you can hear it alongside commercial material in context.

Also, try to avoid the temptation to push your mixes to maximum loudness.
Old 2012-02-13, 23:43

Well I have always exported my file at top quality, then brought it into ableton on my pc... logic on my mac... If you have a mac, I'd suggest logic, because of it's ease of use and superior mastering effects that come with the program. On pc, I used mix craft for long time. Very inexpensive and I always yielded positive results... I did have a few experiences of it "quitting unexpectedly" and thats why I've since switched to ableton. I'm still newb with ableton so I could not tell you about their mastering presets, because I keep it basic with T-SLEDGE and Volume. T-sledge is a free, very, very, useful vst. It makes your song pop, and if you sit down and mess with it and learn to use it, it can totally transform your sound... As far as mastering in reason, well I've used 4-6 and I can say that none of them, especially reason 6 can produce an exported sound with the right volume and umph without clipping in the program... I don't know why this is, but it's annoying when you hear your song sounding good, then export it, compare, and it sounds like shyte. They should probably work on that for 7... but ya T-Sledge, Volume, another good free vst that will help with your mastering is Volcano limiter. simple to the point, prevents clippage. If you just wanna get your tunes on a cd for now and listen to them in the car or whatever until you get a program, switch audio converter will turn it into an mp3 for you. its free too. Oh, reaper is another low-budget DAW that's supposed to be good. I trialed it and went with mix craft, but eh, you might like it.
Old 2012-02-14, 00:28

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPRODUCTIONZ View Post
Is there a way to master in Reason and take it right to CD? If not anyone recommend any good mastering programs? Thanks.
Izotope Ozone get's good reviews, as does T-Racks.

Reason can do it, but it depends on what style of music you are doing, i.e. are you a loudness war participant or not? If yes, then yes Reason will do it well. If no, then the tools it has are good but it's not a full set just yet, most specifically there is nothing akin to the Aphex Aural Exciter, an old hardware unit that "fixes" harmonic distortions in some weird scientific way.

Another big factor is that many people choose to have their tunes on websites which kick the crap out of the sound, and Reason only does pro quality. Whilst an audiophile such as myself who insists on premium sound quality at all times will find this to be preferable, some younger folks who "grew up" with mp3's seem to get ticked off by this. So whether you're aiming for CD/DVD pro-quality or just YouCloud et al as your main broadcast medium has a lot to do with it these days.

I'm not well versed enough to continue this conversation any further than this I'm afraid, as I don't know enough about the rest of the tools a real mastering engineer would use. Hopefully one of the mastering engineers on here will chime in at some point and give more specifics on this.

Cheers
Old 2012-02-14, 11:24

simple answer . Yes

its not what you got its how you use it.

Reason 6 has the tools , i dont care what anybody says .

i`ve heard a lot of music in my 42 years and in my early years, i did not care what was used as long as i can hear the words and feel the track .

mastering is not the only thing that's important .

1. Idea
2. instruments
3. vocals
4. recording
5. mics
6. mixing
7. arrangement
8. tempo
9. genre

etc

although the mastering engineer has a part in the project , its a team effort .

i`ve heard just mixed tracks being played on radio and the listeners loved it as it is .
say no more .

P.S i once heard a producer took his track to be mastered and the mastered and the mastering engineer did not touch it . the track was well mixed .

don`t be fooled by the hype .

Last edited by Djstarski; 2012-02-14 at 11:39.
Old 2012-02-14, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPRODUCTIONZ View Post
Yes you can mix a very well track and go straight to CD. Ken Lewis mixed 50 cent and Jeremih "DOWN ON ME" when he finished mixing it they took it straight to radio without mastering and it sounds great and it's a hit.

All you have to do is know what frequencies to cut and boost, mix well, pan well, use effects with smarts, get it to 0db loud and you can go straight to CD. I remember going straight to CD with my raps back in the ADAT and DAT days and I wasn't no where as good now mixing and people bought my rap CD's with no complains and I did shows like that also.

So yes you can go straight to CD without mastering, these are the digital times where you can do what you need to do and bypass some stuff.
Old 2012-02-14, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiGenetik View Post
Izotope Ozone get's good reviews, as does T-Racks.

Reason can do it, but it depends on what style of music you are doing, i.e. are you a loudness war participant or not? If yes, then yes Reason will do it well. If no, then the tools it has are good but it's not a full set just yet, most specifically there is nothing akin to the Aphex Aural Exciter, an old hardware unit that "fixes" harmonic distortions in some weird scientific way.

Another big factor is that many people choose to have their tunes on websites which kick the crap out of the sound, and Reason only does pro quality. Whilst an audiophile such as myself who insists on premium sound quality at all times will find this to be preferable, some younger folks who "grew up" with mp3's seem to get ticked off by this. So whether you're aiming for CD/DVD pro-quality or just YouCloud et al as your main broadcast medium has a lot to do with it these days.

I'm not well versed enough to continue this conversation any further than this I'm afraid, as I don't know enough about the rest of the tools a real mastering engineer would use. Hopefully one of the mastering engineers on here will chime in at some point and give more specifics on this.

Cheers
I was wondering the same thing myself, and now trying to learn how to best apply Ozone. It seems like the best thing to do is get everything mixed down in Reason well but bypass the "Mastering Suite"-type stuff (except for maybe stereo imager and light compression). I'm not a master at mastering by any means and would really appreciate more discussion on the topic!

~*Ryan Mals*~

Old 2012-02-14, 18:23

I use T-RACKS 3 when I want to put on a nice compressor and brick wall limiter and make that stereo track loud I love it.
THIS IS WHAT I USE!!!.... And my tracks come out nice and loud and radio ready

Old 2012-02-14, 18:26

the Mastering suite is very nice in Reason, but when I want to add that Loudness I just use T Racks 3
Old 2012-02-14, 23:27

FYI, you can try Ozone 5 for 10 whole days without limitations. You wish you had that amount of money after those 10 days though . Damn, that stuff is pricy.

Loading SoundCloud…