Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-02-27, 15:54

Exported .wav far from what I hear in Reason

This is a long-running question in my head. I wonder if there's a solution to it. Mixing my song in Reason 6, it sounds great. I got the multi-band compression just right, the vocals not too wet with reverb. Then when I export, the bass and kick seems to be joining in the send reverb, and the vocals are more wet with reverb than I thought they sounded. The sound in general is not as "near your face" than I thought it would sound as I mixed down.

Basically, it's not sounding like how I hear it in Reason! What the FUDGE. Any help?

There were some threads on mastering, but they were pretty long-winded and not really tackling this question.
Old 2012-02-27, 16:08

Try this - import the mix back into an empty Reason song file (making SURE to turn off ALL mastering etc on the mix bus). Also, keep the original song file open (the one you exported from).

Compare the two:
Do they still sound different?

There have been many threads like this, and AFAIK it has never been Reason's export that has been proven to sounded different. In most cases it's the audio player used to play the exported file, often with some 'enhancement' feature turned on (iTunes is a common culprit in the Mac world). :-)
USA
Old 2012-02-27, 16:23
Propellerhead

Reason is of course supposed to sound "the same" always, no matter what destination is playing back the audio.

The type of bug that can cause the wrong sound to be generated, is considered most serious, and is extremely rare.

Are you exporting at the same sample rate as the audio interface setting?
Some things in the rack sound different when run at a high sample rates.

There are a few things that can change the sound between playbacks and exports.

Examples are LFO positions and random elements in the rack, e.g. noise osc outputs. These are all free running normally, so consecutive playbacks can change slightly. At export LFOs are reset so that each export is as similar as possible.

Those things should never cause the type of changes you describe.

More detail is needed to analyze this. If you have a clear example that you can show via e-mail, then please submit a case to e-mail support.

You will find the link under support while signed in here.
(not sure if you use Mac or Windows)
Old 2012-02-27, 19:37

Thanks, jengstrom for reading my post! The sample rate is the one that I tweak for latency at preferences > audio, right?

Now I'm thinking if doing the export without any audio soundcard plugged in is my problem. Lemme get back to you. Thanks! I use Acer TimelineX - Win7 64-bit; core i5-480M, 2.66ghz w/ turboboost to 2.9 ghz.
Old 2012-02-27, 20:14

You have a nice computer.
ASIO is Directly Accessing your hardware, I assume you have some. It may be that your laptop, or windows to be more specific has is own Dynamic 3D sound bullshit applied to everything that goes through it.
As Reason isn't talking to your audio hardware through windows, it bypasses this wankfest.
That's just a theory, there may be no wankfest on your windows soound card settings.
I live in Lancashire, England.
Old 2012-02-28, 04:47

Does any one know how to import wav files into reason 6 I could only import beats I made in reason do I have a wrong setting ?please help
Old 2012-02-28, 16:45

Just drag the .wav into the sequencer man.
Old 2012-02-28, 16:48

Answered! pushedbutton and jengstrom was right, as well as Loui who emailed me from propellerhead. It's the auto-plug-ins that my laptop infuses into everything I play through it. Re-importing the exported .wav file back into the sequencer gives my back my mix crystal clear.

Now the problem. What player will allow me honest playback?
Old 2012-02-28, 16:50

thanks man. You said the same thing with the Loui dude who was nice enough to email and troubleshoot it personally.

And do I have a nice computer? The graphics aren't as good, though. I think it's because graphics processing is integrated into the same chip? Oh well. i5 is not enough!
Old 2012-02-29, 03:10

I got the same problem with my New Asus Laptop I just brought. I've disable all the wankfest Windows Sound Apps that start upon Windows startup but I still get that wankfest sound. So the only way to hear how my tracks truly sound is to play them in Reason or another DAW.
There has to be a way of turning this wankfest off without uninstalling the apps?